Gastroenterology Community
pain when applying pressure just below belly button

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm not an anatomy expert here so I'm not sure exactly were this discomfort is coming from.  For maybe 2-3 years I have had something painful in the lower abdomen about 2 inches just below my belly button.  It's only painful when I apply pressure to that area and only when I apply deep pressure, in other words its not just below the skin and its deeper then the muscles.  Applying deep pressure to the belly button and the areas to the sides an above it yield no discomfort.  It feels rather stiff so I doubt its just gas buildup, seeing how its also been there for a long time.  Its only in an area maybe a few inches in width and height.  During intense excercise the area is a bit more painful and I can feel it having a strong pulsating action that seems to just go along with the action of blood being pumped around.  Like I said though it is never painful unless I apply deep pressure to the area.  For about the same amount of time I have also been experiencing intense anal itching and found out that pinworms can be a cause for this, but pinworm medication doesnt seem to help.  This itching, like the abdominal pain, has been ongoing everyday for the 2-3 years.

Besides those 2 things I have no other abnormal symptoms I can think of especially nothing seemingly wrong with passing stools or urinating, and I'm in overall great health, but there is definately something going on in that location because I can't imagine how applying even deep pressure can feel so tender and sore.

I'm sure the answers I am going to get will all be that I should go see a doctor or a gastroenterologist, but before I do I was hoping I could get some opinions on what part of the anatomy I am dealing with here and what the problem might be.

So just to sum it all up...

- painful area just below the belly button a few inches in width and height and much deeper then the skin or muscles and only painful and tender when deep pressure is applied
- intense anal itching which pinworm medication didnt seem to cure.
forgot to note that I'm a 28 year old male, about 6' 3" and 200 lbs.
I was just thinking but could this be some swelling/bloating/inflamation from food not being digested properly?  Like I said I dont have a problem with the stools I pass but I think I do eat way too fast and dont chew enough.  Maybe 6 months ago I tried chewing alot more and eating a bit slower and I think I recall there being a bit less of the discomfort but I don't recall exactly.
bump?
My concern, since you said that you feel a pulsing would be an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  Quite often these have no symptoms, but when they do, one of them is a pulsating area in the abdomen.  I would most definitely check in with your doc and be sure they know about the pulsating area.

I hope it's something very minor.
Ya I was reading up on that condition also.  Could be the problem, though from the following symptoms for this problem...
    * Abdominal mass
    * Abdominal rigidity
    * Anxiety
    * Clammy skin
    * Nausea and vomiting
    * Pain in the abdomen or back -- severe, sudden, persistent, or constant. The pain may radiate to groin, buttocks, or legs.
    * Pulsating sensation in the abdomen
    * Rapid heart rate when rising to a standing position
    * Shock

Out of those I don't experience any shock, nausea or vomiting, clammy skin, or anxiety and the pain is only localized and doesnt occur unless pressure is applied to the area.  I do experience a rapid heart rate every once in a while (maybe once a month), so its certainly not common, and it seems to happen alot more when I eat way too much sugar.
I've had the same issue for at least 20 years (pain and stiffness when applying pressure below the belly button).  It came to my attention when an internal medicine specialist applied pressure there and told me my colon wasn't healthy.  He performed a colonoscopy and said I had diverticulosus.  10 years later I had another colonoscopy and a different doc said my diverticulosis wasn't bad.  However, the pain is and stiffness is still present.  I suspect it may be intolerance to certain foods, caffeine, or alcohol.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers