Gastroenterology Community
painful colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

painful colonoscopy

Hi, i had a colonoscopy yesturday, which was the most painful experince in my life. They tried to give me more seditive which made my blood pressure very low i think. (i was out of it but not enough to feel that pain) Is this normal to have so much pain? it still hurts now, but i don't know if it was the shock to my body or the air they inserted.
try this and you will  know straight away even before you have more tests? when you constipated try pushing backwall of your vagina back when you defecate  its awful having to do this but does work? ive also lost loads of weight  7 stone in 18 moths thoight it was seriouse thank god its not are you also suffering painful periods? do you feel dizzy ? does symptoms ease when you lay down? the colonoscopy was painful because of the linimg of my bowel whats prolapsing [dropping]  and i think when i had colonoscopy it caused pressure in there? its probable like when a building needs scaffolding this is the only way i can explain  good luck keep me posted

I suppose everyone reacts differently - but your description (I would say) is atypical compared to my own and also many of those who have placed postings on Medhelp after a colonoscopy.  Of course this does not mean that your experiences are in any way invalid.  In my opinion it would do no harm to ask your specialist doctor to examine you - or at least advise you further.

My own experience of (several) colonoscopies was:-

- purgative a few hours before the procedure
- an I.V sedative which "puts you to sleep" so you feel/remember nothing
- wake up in the recovery room after the procedure (~20 mins)
- rest for a couple of hours
- then go home (but get someone else to drive you)
- go to bed early on the night of the procedure.
- no post-procedure intestinal aches/pains

Hope you feel better quickly
Morecambe
Dear Bear,
Gosh, what a terrible thing has happened to you.  You are not supposed to feel pain these days, with the drugs they give you.  I am shocked to hear of your experience.  What's worse is the doctors and nurses who attended you did not DO SOMETHING right then and there as a result of your pain.

Either they didn't give you enough drugs, or they may have even torn some tissue, is my thinking, especially since you are still uncomfortable a day later.  I would TODAY march myself right down to either the ER or get a squeeze-in emergency appointment today with your regular physician.  And at least call the offices where they did the procedure and report your symptoms and experience.  They SHOULD be very concerned and they SHOULD want to immediately get you in there to do a checkup and make sure nothing unusual went wrong.  If they don't, well, something is very wrong with those people.

Many years ago, colonoscopies were done with little or no sedation, and these were dreadful experiences for even the bravest and toughest of people.  I have a friend who still has emotinal upset over what happened.  Now, I had one done a couple years ago, and the sedation was "twilight sleep," which I was sort of awake, I felt absolutely no discomfort whatsoever, and the drugs made me feel really good.  That's why I am posting back to you, to let you know that your colonoscopy was NOT normal.  

So, I think you should visit a doctor as soon as you can, just in case a mistake was made, so they can take steps to treat you for any possible infection that might develop on account of that possibility.  And I'd sure tell the clinic that did the procedure just how upset and uncomfortable you were and still are.

Let us know what happens.  GG

I also had a painful colonoscopy in January. It must have been at the end as they were removing the probe - I was sleepy enough not to be able to tell them how painful it was, but awake enough to feel the horrible pain as they pulled the probe out of my bowel - felt like razor blades as it passed along my bowel. I did not however have any pain afterwards, so like ggreg (Hi Gail!) said, you should visit a doctor as soon as you can in case a mistake was made.

Hope you get this sorted - let us know how you are

EBJB
Thank you so much for your comments, I went back to my GP and he thinks i had a bad reaction to the fleet the prep i had to take before. He gave me a jab to stop the sickness and is going to get in touch with the chap who carried out the procedure. So i feel a bit better, well i'm not sick every five miniutes now but the pain in my lower tummy is still bad. Thanks again and thanks for this site, it makes it more easier talking to people that know XXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxXXXXXX
I don't know what country you are in, but I had a colonoscopy yesterday here in England and it was the worst pain I have ever endured.  Worse than the diverticulitis that I get sometimes.  I had some sedation, fentanyl and something else.  I was totally awake and the sedation made no difference at all.  I will never have another one.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers