Gastroenterology Community
pale colored stools

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pale colored stools

Hi.. My questions is kind of odd.. but concerning me and wondered if anyone out there has had any similar issues..

2 days ago I noticed that  my stool was very pale in color and so of course I searched it... Lots of information out there. some ok and some scary.

This came out of the blue. just noticed it and not of course I am checking every time andd  it is still the  same pale color... no other  sympoms at all.. no fever, pain. The only thing that happened was the  night  before the  pale stool I has a GERD issue(wed Night)  and had pain off and  on for a couple of hours which went away, but sometimes the next my stomach feels odd (full or mildly sore) which then subsided as I watched what I ate.. then the  next day I saw the pale stool.. That was Thursday and today Saurday and still pale... of course I have anxiety about it now and am working my self up into  a frenzy about it... Anyone  have anything calming to say?   or have had similar issues that have been fine
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?Stools that are pale or clay-colored may result from problems in the biliary system. The liver is responsible for the release of bile salts into the stool which gives the normal brown color. Some medications  and conditions in the gall bladder and pancreas can also affect the stool color.   If the color persists, it is best that you have  this checked for proper evaluation and to rule out liver issues. Blood tests and imaging studies such as an abdominal ultrasound or CT scan may also be very helpful. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi thank you.  It seemed to be a litle more normal color today or at least not so pale .  Maybe it takes a few days for a gerd attack to pass.  I have never had my gallblader (gallbladder) checked but some people tell me the pain that i get every once in a while sounds like gall bladder attakck.  And that it can be trigered by food.  Any how i will wait to pass a few more stools to check color before i callthe dr.  Thank you for the reply...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. It is good to hear that the color seemed to be a little more normal today. Acute gall bladder pain may indeed be triggered by intake of fatty food. Try to have a low fat and low cholesterol at this time. Take care and best regards.
Hi again.. Its been a while since my last post.  Stools seems to alternate from tan to greenish (kind of olive not brite) and also normal color too .... I have been to dr. And they did ultra sound of gall bladder. And kidneys. And pancreas and i think the liver and spleen.... All came back normal saying they got a good visual on all no stones etc... She took blood as well i think to check levels enzymes, billerrubin, endocrine (spelling wrong) all normal limits...  Could is there anyhing else i should be checking or could is just be normal for my system now ??
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers