Gastroenterology Community
periodic voice loss
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

periodic voice loss

Good Morning  to everyone and hope you are all doing well.
Is anyone expericencing symptoms similar to mine, and if so, what are you doing?
History:  I have "silent" reflux which my dr. thinks caused the barretts.  
My first upper endoscopy a lesion (part of one?) was removed and sent to lab that confirmed the dx.
I was put on ppi's 2 times a day for the rest of my life and an annual upper enoscopy was recommened.
But....I talk on the phone for a living and almost not a day goes by that as I near my second dose of the ppi my voice becomes very weak, hoarse, strained, just awful, it's a struggle to speak clearly.  I am constantly drinking water and using cough drops but they don't help.  I would very much appreciate any information you might have regarding my voice.  Thank you all.
Related Discussions
I have a similar problem as a result of my reflux.  I currently take Nexium twice and day and have tried baclofen and trazodone to help with the cough and hoarseness.  Both of these medications affect my ability to be alert, but they help the cough which in turn gives my vocal cords a rest.  I am on summer break right now, but during my teaching day my voice becomes strained and hoarse just as you have described with your need to be on the phone.  I don't find the bac. and traz. solutions helpful enough, but maybe they could work for you.  I am scheduled for bravo pH and esophageal motility testing next week and from there nissen fundoplication maybe considered.  Good Luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank