Gastroenterology Community
pernicious anemia

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pernicious anemia

Can pernicious anemia be diagnosed with endoscopy?
No it cannot .  The endoscopy can howerver look for signs that usually accompany PA such as atrophic mucosa.  In autoimmune conditions the stomach lining may be attacked by the immune system leading to loss of the stomach cells. This causes acute and chronic inflammation which can result in pernicious anemia.

So if your stomach is inflamed they will see that.  Endoscopy is usually done after the diagnosis.
An endoscopy is usually done to rule out other things that could be causing symptoms . It can also detect atrophic mucosa which is often present with PA.    

They can give you blood tests such as CBC,  B12 levels, MMA and intrinisc factor antibodies to check for this.  

Do you have any other autoimmune diseases such as graves.
Thanks for the info!

I have fibromyalgia, but no autoimmune diseases - though I do have a strong family hx. of them including PA, RA and graves.

My B12 level was checked a few months ago with a low normal result of 400.  However, I had been megadosing B12 for 3 months before that level taken - using tablets as well as liquid held under the tongue.

Really confused at this point.

BTW: have never had MMA or instrinsac factor antibodies checked.
You should get those tests done to see if you have it.  If you do then monthly injections can help you.  If you have PA then your body will not absorb the B12 from vitamins or tablets.   A lot of people have graves and other autoimmune diseases along with PA .  With a family history of graves you may want to keep an eye out for it.  
Once again, thank you.

So, can I assume that PA cannot be diagnosed with an endoscopy?

You've been so helpful!

Thank you so much!  You've been so helpful!