Gastroenterology Community
persistent odor in rectal area even after bathing.Anyone have this and ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

persistent odor in rectal area even after bathing.Anyone have this and find an answer??

Hi. this is so embarrasing but I saw a post from yrs back on this site about people who were having problems with fecal odor even after bathing. Unfortunatlely noone really seemed to find answers to this problem although it feels a little better reading that others have had this problem although sometimes even that doesnt seem real. Anyway back to th issue I have this persistent fecal odor that is present even after showering and I do not have poor hygiene habits. this started a few yrs. back and before I had no problems with this  at all. I first started with frequent bowel mvts. like 6 to 7 times a day did have sever stomach pain for awhile and went to emergency room for it one day because of the pain they did colonoscopy and only said they found lots of gas and hemmorroids. I still seem to have to have bowel mvts. alot although not usually as much as I did in beginning but still atleast 3-4 times a day. stool is flat and will at times have mucus in it. sometimes loose and sometimes not but probly more loose than anything but almost always flat. This odor problem has caused me to seclude myself and I have no job because of it I graduated with a degree in Occupational therapy but people will not hire me I get calls from agencies that are all excited and then they never call back I believe this to be due to the fact that at my other job I know coworkers made comments indirectly about it. I am in debt over school loans and recently had miscarriage and have tons of hosp. bills I have no insurance and feel as if this will eventually be break my spirit sort of already has if I do not find a solution to this issue. If anyone has had this problem please post even if you havent found a solution. Thank you
What type of foods do you eat?  ILL try to help you...
i eat all kinds:salmon asparagus,broccoli,chicken,gr turkey potatoes thing sof that nature
ya we all eat that stuff.  I  was thinking maybe the foods you were eating what did your doctor say? Is he concern.........
Have you been to see a gastrologist about possible IBS or prehaps crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. I've had Ulcerative Colitis for over 2 years now, started when i was 15 i'm now just turn 18. i've always had problems with Frequently needing to rush to the toilet, but also sometimes a small problem with odor.
I'm in no way medicaly experienced. but i think you should go get checked for ibs, Crohns, UC

Good Luck and i hope you get your problem sorted.

Nick
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have the odor problems and it is really unconfortable. I am going to see my doctor tomorrow, and will hit you back as soon as I can.
sorry dude, I didn't go. But I think that it has something to do with how you eat. I think you should eat more hot soup, vegetibles, drink a lote of water, things like that. I just started to change the way I eat.
just wondering what kind of underwear you use?  Thongs by any chance?  Since I've starting wearing them I've noticed that they smell really quickly, I guess because they are tight up against the rectum.

Never notice it when I wear regular panties

Thank you for sharing.  I have developed a similar condition and have had it on and off for the past 3 years.  I noticed that controlling my diet would decrease the symptoms.  If I did not eat much fats during the work day, I would not have the problem.  This, however, was not a healthy solution.  My stomach got used to eating little during the day and I could not make up for it by eating a large meal at night. I lost weight as a result and lacked the proper nutition - my immune system was weakened.  

Then, all of a sudden, without diet change, the smell returned and it was harder to control than ever.  My poor co-workers began to bring deodorant sprays to work and I felt really bad for them.  I'm sure that inhaling that type of odor is not healthy not to mention that it is unpleasant and a distraction.

I went to the doctor and was tested for parasites.  The test came back positive.  I was treated with antibiotics (Grapefruit seed extract is also beneficial).  Things have improved but I'm not back at work yet.

After only a month of putting up with the constant odor, I took a medical leave of absence.
I could not cope with it psychologically.

I think that perhaps it would be a good idea to seek other avenues of employment:
Letter carrier/deliverer, person who checks electric gas meters - perhaps even some type of work from home.

My doctor stated that my odor condition is rare and that he's only had 2 other patients who described similar symptoms.  At this point there is probably no cure but a healthy diet is always the first step to a healthier person.

Being a Catholic, I use prayer.  Sometimes, when I get so panicy and stressed, repeating the Hail Marys or saying the simple words of the Divine Mercy Chaplet helps to momentairly let go of the problem.  I also think of my uncle who had a colon or intestine surgery and afterwards had to have some kind of bag or something attached to him and that was giving off foul smells too.  Life! hehe...he's okay now...I hope that all will be well...it's absolutely necessary to find time during the day to do something that makes you feel optimistic -- dancing to a song you like, singing, calling someone - they won't be able to smell you, smiling...god loves you no matter what...I mean when our bodies are going to be decaying in the grave, he'll love us too and those bodies will stink...
I don't have a medical solution, but an idea to help mask it for whatever it's worth...  spray febreeze on a sani-nap.  I don't know if it's safe to have the febreeze close to there, but it does remove odors.  

Also, in your work area, an air purifier could keep it fresher.  I've looked into these for another reason, so I'll give what I've learned.
1. Ionizers which generate ozone are a health hazzard to breath, so skip them.
2. Hepa filters are the gold standard at .3 microns of filtering.  Blueair makes one which is even finer than the usual at .1mc, and it's available all over like Target, Brookstone.  There are many smaller desk units too out there, that will be much less expensive.   Austin Air is another well known good company.
3. They really can change the smells in the air, in my experience.

If reducing foods helps, does reducing one particular food help?  For people with food sensitivities cutting out things like eggs or dairy can make a huge difference.  Is it possible that something in particular is triggering your symptoms?

I was also going to suggest looking into a home job related to OT, maybe writing reports, or medical billing submissions?  Anything to get you medical coverage so you can get some more testing done.  
Wondering if you were ever able to correct your problem. I have the same type of odor issues and it is quite significant. I, like you, shower several times each day. I have tried baby powder, corn starch, cologne, and many other devices in an attempt to hide this odor. I just do not know what to do anymore. Though I do not suffer from the stomach rumblings, I certainly sympathize with you. If you have discovered any help, please forward. Thank you!
check this out, ok like my dog had this prob (i know ur finking, what the hells a dog gotta do with this) but it was the exact same odor probs.  the vet said fecal matter gets caught in a pocket or somethin up in her bum.  we have to manually remove it.  before we did this she would smell like poop even after bathing.  after the vets advice she doesnt smell like that anymore.
one of my friends admitted to me to he had a similar prob and his dr told him to do the same fing, use a finger and remove the fecal matter that gets stuck in some kinda pocket up the bum.  
now i dont kno what this mite feel like or anyfing but next time u shower u could try using a finger to check if theres anyfin weird up thurr, just kinda clean the inside of ur bum out.  thurr could be poop stuck inside somewhurr.  
I HAVE RUNNY STOOLS BY THEMELVES, LATER FOLLOWD BY BLOODY,MUCUS-LIKE DISCHARGE INSTEAD OF ASTOOL THE NEXT TIME. IT ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE CLUMPS OF FLESH WITH BLOOD IN IT!! SOUNDS GROSS BUT I'M SCARED! BLOOD TESTS SHOWED NORMAL ALONG WITH THE FECAL TESTS. I ALSO HAVE LOWER GUT PAINS AND STRAIN ALOT. FEELS LIKE DRY HEAVING FROM BEHIND! IT'S GOING ON TWO MONTHS AND I'M WORRIED AND NEED SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!
You guys should try a gentle colon cleanse. Its worth a try, it will promote bowel movements and eventual clearing of the digestive tract, unless youre allergic to fibre, it shouldnt have any adverse affects on you. Even if it doesnt cure your problem completely, i recommend starting wiht that and im prettys ure you should see an improvement. Its all natural anyway.
i 2 HAVE THIS PROBLM AND I CANT TAKE IT ANYMRE.  I'VE DONE THE COLON CLEANSE. NOTHING. I CHANGE DIETS. NOTHING. I SHOWER PROBLY MORE THAN SOME 3X ADAY. NOTHING. IF ANY IDEAS PEPAL PLEASE ADVISE. JUST GETTING DESPARATE
Dear Ones,
My grandson has had this condition for years, only it is debilitating since he reached his twenties.   He has not held a job in over a year, and has had to leave jobs because of this odor.  TODAY we finally found out that it is a rare genetic disorder: trimethylaminuria (TMAUt) with only 600 documented cases!  No cure, only a diagnostic test or DNA tests will confirm and avoiding certain foods helps.  ABC's Primetime aired an August 2006 story again March 7, 2008 featuring a lovely model with TMAU, titled:
The Model Who Smells Like Dead Fish ~ Trimethylaminuria Can Ruin Your Childhood, Career and Social Life. The story exceeded 8,000 characters but you can read it and see the model's photo at:  
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Story?id=2287206&page=1

Also see Wikipedia at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria

AND:
National Organization of Rare Diseases
55 Kenosia Ave, PO Box 1968
Danbury, CT 06813-1968
(203) 744-0100; (800) 999-6673 (voicemail)
TDD (203) 797-9590; Fax (203)798-2291
E-mail Contact: ***@****:

See NORD article at:
http://www.rarediseases.org/search/rdbdetail_abstract.html?disname=Trimethylaminuria
You can purchase the full-text report for $7.50 (by Elizabeth Shephard, PhD, Professor of Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London)

Synonyms for TMAU are:  FMO, Adult Liver Form, FMO3, Fish Odor Syndrome,
Flavin Containing Monooxygenase 3, Stale Fish Syndrome

Trimethylaminuria is a rare disorder in which the body's metabolic processes fail to alter the chemical trimethylamine. Trimethylamine is notable for its unpleasant smell. It is the chemical that gives rotten fish a bad smell. When the normal metabolic process fails, trimethylamine accumulates in the body, and its odor is detected in the person's sweat, urine and breath. The consequences of emitting a foul odor can be socially and psychologically damaging among adolescents and adults. The genetic or primary form of this disorder is transmitted as an autosomal recessive trait.

A secondary form of trimethylaminuria may result from the side effects of treatment with large doses of the amino acid derivative L-carnitine (levocarnitine). The metabolic deficiency occurs as a result of a failure in the cell to make a specific protein, in this case, the enzyme flavin-containing monooxygenase3. Enzymes are nature's catalysts and act to speed up biochemical activities. Without this enzyme, foods containing carnitine, choline and/or trimethylamine-N-oxide are processed to trimethylamine and no further, causing a strong fishy odor. This secondary form of the disorder is a result of an overload of trimethylamine. In this case, there is not enough of the enzyme to get rid of the excess trimethylamine.

Organizations:
CLIMB (Children Living with Inherited Metabolic Diseases)
Climb Building
Crewe Intl CW2 6BG
Phone #: +44- 87-0 7700 325
800 #: --
E-mail: ***@****
Home page: http://www.CLIMB.org.uk

Genetic and Rare Diseases (GARD) Information Center
PO Box 8126
Gaithersburg MD 20898-8126
Phone #: 301-519-3194
800 #: 888-205-2311
E-mail: ***@****
Home page: http://www.genome.gov/10000409

Trimethylaminuria Foundation
P.O. Box 3361
New York NY 10163-3361
Phone #: 212-300-4168
800 #: --
E-mail: ***@****
Home page: N/A

Trimethylaminuria Midwest Region Foundation
12537 Hardy Street
Overland Park KS 66213-1446
Phone #: 913-906-9496
800 #: --
E-mail: ***@****
Home page: N/A
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do not attempt to self-administer treatment approaches. Medications and supplements can have unintended interactions, and dietary restrictions can result in nutritional deficits. Choline is essential for nerve and brain development in fetuses and infants, therefore, pregnant and breast-feeding women should consult with their health care provider before restricting their dietary choline.

I found no Medhelp.org articles on trimethylaminuria or TMAU, so I know this will be helpful.  I will try to stay in touch.  Join us in praying for a cure.  I can testify to the power of prayer in Jesus' Name.  God hears and cares about each of our cares. He saved me from rape one night when I was abducted and dragged into the bushes while jogging, because I rebuked my tall black abductor in Jesus' Name!  Jesus' Name is all powerful, and that is why God commanded that we not take the Name of the Lord our God in vain.  God is constantly looking out over His Word to perform it.  God also cured me of an embarrassing skin condition that I had for over a year.  
Blessings, ~ggOH
Hello everyone,

I have lived with an anal odor problem since I'm 18 years old. I don't know how I have even gone this long living this way. I can't believe that I haven't been fired from any of my jobs because of it. All I do know is that I am a very clean person, and can not for the life of me figure out what is going on. The odor I have is daily, and some days are worse then other days. I've had it so long that I don't even smell it any more, but I know it is there because I over hear people saying something, or see them rubbing their nose with disbelief. When I muster up enough courage, I'll go to a doctor, but hey basicly ignore me and don't even want to deal with it. Has anyone with a similar situation found any solution?
Fiber laxatives probably make it worse.  Try buying an enema bag and using water or very mild enema recipe (Google it) or try using a Fleet enema 1 - 2 times per week.  I bet something is stuck higher than you can reach.  
I TO HAVE THIS AND IT IS A BIG PROBLEM IN MY LIFE I TRY TO TAKE 3 SHOWERS A DAY NOTHING  AND IT SMELLS REALLY BAD IF ANYBODY COULD HELP PLEASE DO!
I had a problem with anal odor that started about 40 years ago. A few years ago I realized that when I wore polyester pants the smell was worse and appeared more quickly. Showering daily helped but not much. One day, just for the hell of it, I decided to wash my rectum with Head & Shoulders shampoo, what is what I regularly use on what's left of my hair. I had been using it on my underarms for a while and now I almost never use deoderant. Anyway, after about 3 days use, the anal odor went away and it hasn't come back. I know this sounds pretty ridiculous, but, hey, occasionally something easy and cheap actually works.
I hope this helps some of you.

Maxfardo
Hate to say it...but this stuff is often beyond the scope of your modern day doctor. 100 years ago you'd been cured of this odor w/just one visit by the doc.

Try Pineapple...canned or fresh!! Just one day will make a difference...but you have to eat alot of it. Fast first for 12 hours and then eat and drink up!! I recommend a weekend purge w/the pineapple. Put it in the blender and make a drink first thing in the morning. Beyond wiping out all the parasites that are more than likely stinking up you intestines, the enzymes seem to lend an ability to wipe out this decaying odor.

I've had similar "odor" experience off and on over the last 5 years and thought maybe it was the result of intestinal decay or undetected internal bleeding....however I'm no sicker today than I was 5 years ago...so I can only assume that this is a chronic condition that's just part of our human condition...and I"m not dying. I DID just happened to notice with antibiotic treatment the condition became worse, so I can only assume that the "odor" is the result of a weakening of bacteria in the intestines.

After the pineapple treatment I recommend a low fat high fiber diet w/yogurt everyday...and excercise. Nothing better than keeping the blood circulating to reduce accumulation of odor producing toxins!! Additinally I'd supplement w/dietary enzymes. Think of your digestive system is just like a big compost pile in the back yard.  Sometimes you have to "feed" it to get things to break down properly.
Hi, I just want to say that my underarms had a bad smell.This morning
I asked my wife to smell and doing so under protest she said she didn't smell any thing. I had used a Lime the day before just after my shower. If it works for the underarms. Just remember to squeeze the lime and use the juice.
I completely empathize with you! I've had a similar problem for the past 10 years now (I've posted on other strings here too). Basically, there is an offensive fecal odor from the anal area despite being ultra clean and going regularly.

It's terribly embarrassing and has pretty much destroyed my life! I've tried everything;

- regular colon cleansing (******)
- laxatives
- changes in the diet
- food diary to see if there are certain foods that cause it
- regular cleaning
- disguising the odor with cologne and deodorant

If I could get this resolved and my life back on track I honestly feel that I could single handedly solve world hunger. It's SO UNBELIEVABLY debilitating and embarrassing and from what I have read there is no one cure. I hope that me sharing helps others and thanks to everyone for sharing, I don't feel quite as alone on this one as I did.

1st let me say that I pray that you have found an answer to this problem in the last couple years and this reply is not needed.
I stumbled across this by accident looking for something on a totally different subject.  But, I may be able to offer some assistance.
As others have said, and I hate to compare you to a dog, but I had the same problem with one of mine.  The vet explained that it was secretions from her swollen anal glands. Groomers and vets alike commonly gently squeeze the area at the opening of the rectum to void the secretions.  Not sure how easy that is on the human body, but if possible it's worth a try.
Now you mentioned hemmoriods.  I too have a small problem with those.  On occasions of flare up the swelling has created a pocket and under the swollen area fecal matter will accumulate and is actually uncomfortable almost immediatley.  It does need to be removed.  I use the finger cots sold in the drug store (mainly used to protect wounds on fingers), but works well for preventing unwanted mess.  Fortunatley mine is very close to anal opening and easy to pull out.  Sounds like you may have a similar problem just not as easy to reach.
I wish you luck in this if you haven't already found a solution.
C-Diff
You should get your stool checked out for C-Diff = C - difficile is a bacteria in your intestines.  It is found normally in healthy and ill people alike.  There are millions, perhaps billions of different types of bacteria in your body.  Bacteria are an important part of your health.  They help break down and digest food.  They also ward off many "bad" or foreign bacteria that you may come in contact with.  In fact, the "good" or normal bacteria on your hands can kill certain bad bacteria which you may pick up handling food or touching everyday items and fixtures.
I had the same problem and after 3 yrs of living with this they finally found it. I am 100% cured from the antibiotics but I have to say I had my stool checked out 3 yrs ago and they found nothing you might want to do a few of them.
Hi All,

This is rosewood47.  I had same kind of bad odor ( I really don't know how to tell weather it is bad order some thing else)  issue. I have posted my experience in other post http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/4254 please check it.
Initially I thought it is Trimethylaminuria as mentioned above. But  DIRECT SALT and OIL is the one causing this issue. ALL of you tried different diet but not I bet you never stop eating DIRECT SALT.  Try the things i have mentioned my other post. It is working for me. Let me know.

I am also suffering from same problems. Recently I was diagnosed with Klebsiella bacterial overgrowth (colony count >  100000 cfu/ml of stool). 4days ago started antibiotic treatment (doc prescribed norfloxian based on culture sensitivity test). My bowel became normal again and  bloating, flatulence, abdominal distention etc. I am feeling more comfort at rectal area and odor also seems to lessen day by day. Also, Im dx with 2 duadenal ulcers (yet to receive biopsy report though), which i think might have caused by H.pylori infection. Both bacterial overgrowth and h.pylori infections cause odor from any part of the body (more at rectal area). bacterial overgrowth causes malabsorption or malnutrition, intoxication etc. Please do google on these and get tested too. Just wanted to be helpful by sharing my probs. Also heavy metal toxicity (esp mercury), candida infections etc can cause odor at rectal area.

try lime or lemon
hi,i am a male aged 41,and for the past 20 yrs i have had a problem with a strong fecal odour from the anal area,i know i am as clean as the next man,in fact when this problem started,i stepped up my personal hygiene to try and hide this embarrassing condition. I have done some crazy stuff,using polytar shampoo all over my body,because i thought it would hide the smell,i have even tried suicide because it has totally ruined my life. i would give anything for it to go,after sitting for hours wandering what it could be,the only thing i can relate to when it first started,now this is gonna sound naff, i saw a ghost and remember it shocked me so much and i s'pose subliminally scarred me,my central nearvouse system must be affected ,as i just cannott relax my stomache,it is as if i am constantly trying to hold in an urgent need to go to the toilet,i am prescribed diazepan now to try and relax,but they make me worse,everytime i try and relax,i just wind up worse.i have even read up about tapeworms because of other symptoms such as feeling blocked being bloated,my diet is normal,yet i won;t pass a motion for over a week sometimes, and when i do,there's hardly anything there,i am coming to the end of my teather for real now,i am desperate to have a relationship,but just can't get involved,its such a lonely life.i so need help fast,i can not stand this any longer,can anyone pls help.???  ***@****   pls contact me if you can help me.thank you.
I have had this problem sense I was 13. I knew it couldn't have been a hygiene problem because I bath twice a day and stick fingers up my rectum to make sure it is clean. The only solution I have found...sad to say I am now 23 and have been doing this sense I was 13...I just take some toilet paper, ball it up real tiny, and put it at the entrance of my rectum EVERYDAY before leaving the house....it's not uncomfortable after a while and it gives you the freedom of not minding if some one sits down after you stand up!!! hope it helps
Hi HelpByU,
Surfer27 here. I read your tex on Medhelp and I can totally relate to the Rectum Odors after bathing. I have been suffering with what you have, for 4 yrs now and am still looking for answers!!! I did however, come across something interesting on the Internet today. It's a product by Nature's Simple Solution. Apparently, it suppose to help clean you up back there, even after having a bowel movement. I don't know how effective it is, but I wanted to share my discovery with you!! Here's the website, if you are interested: www.NaturesSimpleSolution.com. Check it out, if you are still looking for answers. It may be the break, you are looking for!! If you want to email me, feel free at: ***@****. Okay, gotta go, but I will talk to you later. Bye for now.
I am a 56 year old woman, and for about the past 6 month, I have also noticed this foul odor. At first, I thought it was coming from my vagina, but found that it was actually coming from my rectum. I have had extremely good hygene all my life, and this smell is there even after bathing/ showering. I have had to wash and rinse repeatedly to minimize the smell, but after a few minutes it comes back again.

I visited the nurse at my doctors office, but she didn't seem that concerned. I think that the problem is that this is an uncomfortable subject for health care providers. However, it seems to me that with so many people suffering from this, that they would take the time to look into the possible causes a bit more.

The nurse took an anal swab, and the results showed no infection. I have also been plagued for the past 6 months with a sort of rectal polyps, which i have no idea what they were. The nurse said that I had what was called anal fissures, and external hemorrhoids. About a month ago, I was showering and I notice blood in the water while washing my anus. There was a lot of brownish foul smelling blood. I washed and washed until the blood finally stopped. I believe that it was one of the so-called external hemorrhoids draining. I am still not entirely convinced that they are hemorrhoids, as they developed on the outer rim of my anus, and not protruding from within like most hemorrhoids. It was after I got these that the anal odor began.

I would like to mention that this odor does not smell like any sort of fish, like some of the articles i have read. This smells like something is rotting inside of me. My diet is not very good, but it is improving as I have also just been diagnosed with Diabetes. I do not know if the two things are related, or separate issues.

Being American, and living in the UK for the past 12 years has been very difficult for me. Healthcare providers in England do not seem to care about their patients the same way American doctors do. At least, this has been my experience. Although, in my defense, one of the topics discussed on the new just the other day was how the NHS is neglecting patients, and how people are left to suffer ...often in pain as well.

Heathcare providers in the UK are extremely neglectful of their patients. So, this sort of problem will usually be completely ignored. As an example, former doctor repeatedly told me that my blood sugar was a little high over the past 3 or so. He said there was nothing to worry about and told me that there was nothing to be done about it. I now have a new doctor, and have at a blood sugar count of 8.6 I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes. This is only the tip of the iceburg on how health providers in this country have neglected my health. I have yet to see a so-called "specialist" that actually is helpful in any way! Of course, you are not allowed to contact any sort of specialist doctors in the UK. British citizens are treated like retarded children. If your GP [regular doctor] does not make an appointment for you ...then you don't see a specialist in this country. Of course, the fact that you do not get to choose your specialist goes without saying. The healthcare in this country is still in the dark ages as far as I am concerned. How this country could produce so many inventors and biological genius, and yet totally neglect the health and welfare of British patients ...is beyond me.

The nurse at my clinic made an insulting comment concerning this matter. She suggested that maybe I had a fungal infection, and should try using the same eternal cream that women use for yeast infections. As i have always been an extremely clean person, I found this suggestion a bit insulting. Of course I did not try her suggestion. I have; however, tried using creams for hemorrhoids, but the odor is still present.

However, I am getting off the issue here, so back to my problem. I am not in any pain, although I do suffer from the same discomfort of constipation my Mother suffered from, and whom recently died of colon cancer. I do not wish to frighten anyone into thinking you may have cancer, because that may be far from the truth. I only want to show why this is a real concern for me personally as both my parents died of cancer. I had thought that there was hope with this new doctor, but it looks like he is just as neglectful as my previous doctors. In the past 12 years, I have had a total of 10 different doctors, at 4 different clinics. Only two of which were decent doctors. One of them retired, and the other left the country. :o( It seems really hopeless. If I could not even get help for my many other ailments, and believe me, I have a list. Then finding a solution to a taboo subject like anal oders will be next to impossible. All I can hope, is that it is nothing serious, and that it is just a simple matter of changing my diet, or cleaning my colon. Antibiotics are out of the question, as I cannot even get the nurse at my surgery to acknowledge my problem. :o(

It is a sad world we live in when you cannot even rely on your doctor for healthcare issues. I am an extremely realistic person, so I do realize that there are still many things that doctors simply do not know. Especially when it comes to women's bodies. For many years, medical test/ trials were only done on males. It was not until recent years that they started running similar test on women. The are just beginning to realize that internally our sex organs are not the only thing that differs. Not to mention we have an entire separate set of health issues that men never have to deal with.

There i go, getting side-tracked again. lol I try to stay positive, but it is difficult when surrounded with so much negativism. I realize that every country has it's problem, but in my book, even with all it's problems, the USA is still the best place to live on this planet, and I cannot wait until my husband retires, and takes me back home.

If anyone has any viable solutions to this problem, knows specific foods to avoid, or even actually knows what the cause of this problem is, then please, please, please, contact me. Otherwise, please don't. Oh, and please, only "human" replies from literate people. If you use words like "finking" instead of "thinking", I will not bother readin it! to be candid, I could not possibley take advice from anyone that cannot talk properly. lol
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
You may have fistula. How is your general heath. Check for fistula.
Once again i will say this--you all have diabetes. Its been untreated and is destroying your insides with ketoacidosis. The smells are not constant--they come intermittedly and that is because your blood sugars are spiking and falling rapidly. Apparently no medical doctor has touched on this overwhelming issue that its becomming irksome. Stress has caused all of you to have rapidly falling and rising blood sugars--not a steady rise like Type 1 diabetic's, and not a rise and drop curve like standard type 2 diabetics--but a severe yo-yo effect caused by stress and that yo-yo effect is killing all of you and causing you to emite foul odor--some its rotten fish, others its fecal, others its nasty funky armpit odour (that no amount of deodorant will eliminate) and others its very bad breath. I'm soory but it seem to me that i have identified this and am calling it Type 4 Diabetes--Hygenic Diabetes. I have done a great deal of reasearch on it and I suppose I will do a You Tube Video on it. Mabye that will help doctors get this under perspective.
You are not alone I have the same problem. I left u my phone number so please use it. We can try to solve together.
Garden of Life, HSO human strain probiotics (12 strains in each tablet) are amazing!, and there are many other brands of HSO probiotics, each is slightly different, one has to fine the best for oneself by trial and error.

Many of these problems mentioned in this forum might be eliminated with proper gut flora in our bodies. Not cow bacteria (as in yogurts) but proper soil based organisms. Check it out.
You're not alone . I do have them
But the odor has been recently reduced alot thanks to god (Allah)
then by
shaving anus hair (make sure it is removed completely)
put your finger at your hole and make sure nothing on it (Smell your finger)
make sure the bad smell is removed
use an anti-bacterial soup to the area
Using baking Soda
I think your odor will be reduced

prey to the only god (allah) hoping to get rid of it

Long story short..I have had Crowns Disease for
25 years(I'm 40). Try oral charcoal tablets. I had
a temporary ileostomy in 1993. I was advised to take the tablets orally and also put a tablet in
the bag...it works. One last thing..if stool becomes black, it's normal.
Eating 2 Raw cloves of garlic per Day for 2 weeks; will cure this problem.  Drink green tea to kill the breath smell.  Also add black tea to your daily diet.  Black tea & white tea kills bacteria and parasites.
Has anyone had any respiratory problems as well (i.e., chronic rhinitis, difficulty breathing through nose, short breaths)?
................
I really did Pray at the "TMAU" information! All my Prayers are heard!
You will be healed!
Eat healthy everyday!
Drink more water!
People do fall in love and marry!
People who don't give up, find solutions!
Talk about it!
God is listening to you!
God is watching you!
God is watching out for you too :) Be happy your nose is working as well!
yes im 39 and i noticed when i was 15 after bathing around an hour later there was a foul smell as i was going to a bbq i took no notice but i heard people make comments which were hurtful not to my face, like whos just farted, well to cut a long story short 1996 i went to my doctor and she told me i smell ok and i was imagining things, but i kept going back so she sent me to see a specialist he told me i had hemeroids and put rubberbands around them but it didnt get rid of the bad smell and it was destroying my social life..i think im an ok looking guy i work out at the gym i can pull a chick but i cant keep her cause of this condition...so 2012 after years of embarasment and humiliation im gonna see a specialist...this could be an infection or stools pushing against your anal gland causing puss and mucus to leak down also causing incontinence and a foul odour i think also it maybe an abcess (abscess)...but i honestly thought i was the onlyone on this planet with this condition, go and see your doc dont sit down and think it will go away as it will destroy you mentally
has anyone find cure o this problem cause honestly it is driving me crazy i have tried everything many antibiotics but nothing now i feel like giving up aready please anyone help me
Thank you for the information.  Frankly, neither prayer nor Christ can help in this situations.  This illness is so bad that not even the most tolerant Christian can stand the smell of me.  I suffer from terrible fecal body odor, and no diet nor medical cure can help. It's like voodoo.  Doctors don't want to help cause they say flatulence is not a life threatening condition.  However my social life and financial life is in ruin, not to mention that at any moment I can face eviction from my home because foul odor is called a private nuissance and probable cause for eviction under the law. I've spent many years homeless because society hates me because of my fecal body odor. I am a true outcast. I am a true reject to society because of my fecal body odor.  I am despised, mocked, and verbally abused on a daily basis by anyone that is closer than 200 feet from me.  Most people react by spitting, exagerated coughs, pinching their nose, or straight out saying that I smell like crap, sh****t, farts, butt, and ***.  People are extremely cruel to me, and my neighbors have been constantly trying to get evicted because of my fecal body odor.  I hate society for it hates me.  

I get no compassion.  No sympathy. I am looked upon with disgust.  How can I have dignity, when the most disgusting and undignified thing a person can do is smell like feces?  The only thing that brings any comfort to me is knowing that all who judge me because of the way I smell, will soon face the same fate when their corpse is rotting and decaying when they die.

The world has an anti-bullying campaign going on right now against intolerance based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or age.  But the world fully supports the bullying of those with foul fecal body odor.  Even the courts will vote in favor of evicting anyone that has foul odor, and the termination of employment of anyone with foul odor.  Society is against us. Our only fate is death.  We are the living dead.  And we smell like death itself.  It is hopeless.

The bible claims that demons are ugly and smell like feces due to the high level of sulfur in hades.  I guess that makes us all demons.  I have accepted my fate.  I have accepted my conviction of this terrible illness as payment for some karmic debt of a previous lifetime.  I only pray for death that I may rest in peace.  God bless you all.
Omygosh, That is so awful and I am so sorry. I would like to maybe give you something to think about. I have never had this problem in my life until I was diagnosed with tumors in the pancreas and had to under go a mass operation. Since then I leave the windows open when possible and spray very strong perfume on my curtains and blankets. They took a lot of my bowels and intestines and half the pancreas1/2 my stomach and needless to say when I go it will stink this house up all day and my room and car smell terrible. So I was just on line looking for something to kill this odor. I said all that to tell you to go to a good dr and have a full body scan. For one I guess it saved my life or ruined it one.  N it maybe something you never thought about before i know I never was looking for tumors in my early 40's
  I had this problem and I am undergoing a strict diet. I am 90% cured. For 7 days have only this.....
At breakfast : 1 bowl sprout Moong Daal {green gram} visit Indian grocery.
   Lunch: Yellow moong dal cooked with water little salt.
   Dinner: as lunch.
   2 lts of water everyday.
   Green papaya cooked 3 days every alternate day.  
    NOTHING ELSE.  I used to have a little bit of sugar if I felt hungry!

also 1 question.... did any of you have any relative/friend who died under sever illness or had accidental death or was murdered etc... did someone suffer terribly and suddenly died....

I meant "severe" illness
While I have'nt had this problem since 11yrs old,the embarassment caused me to explore many options from enema,to baby powder,but what did the trick for me was after lathering up the anus with soap and a thorough rinse during a shower,dry off well and use:ARGO corn starch on the anus..I guarantee you that the odor will disappear within a day or 2. Make this a daily part of your hygiene and you will get fast results..Not even underwears will have any odors at the end of the day! Good luck. S.Guy. N.Y.
It's my understanding that coffee enemas clean the whole colon and the liver and eliminate the poisons that cause odors and other problems as well. I haven't tried it yet myself, but lots of people swear by it and say that it works very well.
Hi, I just got this problem about 2 months ago. It's been hell living with it. I started out having really bad odorous gas, and I still do, and then this thing. I'm not sure if it's fecal or not but people cough, sneeze around me and give me dirty looks wherever I go. I can't smell it but when I do smell something it smells like rotten eggs or gas. It might just be that I'm releasing gas all the time and I don't know it. However I do have the sweaty butt problem and it's really hard for me to wipe myself clean now. I also feel full of **** (literally) and constipated even when I have just gone to the bathroom yesterday. maybe that has to do with me unconsciously clenching my ab muscles or something. I also feel the heavy weight above my sphincter even when my recctum is empty. there's always some liquid coming out of my anus too which i guess is why my stools are so dry. It's like I'm dehydrating myself from my anus.
I to have the same symptoms, i really want to find a cure it's been like 3 months and it makes every day a test of mental sanity!!!!! :/
It brings me comfort to know that i'm not the only one in the world suffering from this issues. I'm 18 year old male and I've been socially isolating myself because of my rectal odor. the problem occurred a few months ago during my first semester of college. I noticed that people were sniffing,coughing, & holding their nose, and commenting on an awful odor whenenever i was in school or on the bus.

The smell didn't occur alot at home, but only when I was a little anxious or around other people.My family taught that i was imagining it and this was really bringing me down . I didn't want to go to school or church it was just humiliating, getting through the day was just tough and really hurting my self esteem.

like most of you I've had occasional constapation & hemorrhoid.  I also had a tear in my rectum that bled from anal stretching after constipating. i've been using laxative to treat my constipation and gas x hoping hat it would get rid of the smell.  I talked to a physician thinking that i had a gas issue but now i know that its not passive gas but something else entirely.

I kept telling myself that this phase was temparary and that it would pass over but its been like this for 6 months now. im content to here that others has had the same symptoms and found a solution. I think that i have ANAL FISSURE i plan on setting an appointment with a doctor and experimenting with some of  the solutions mentioned.

Thank you all for sharing your struggle & solutions this really means alot.

Perhaps you have chlymidia.
Perhaps you have chlymidia.
Liquid chlorophyll look it up for help on this. Does liquid chlorophyll help with body odour
I think what you are suffering from is a condition that is called rectal discharge. I have this condition too, i know how you feel and how others around you may think about you. It is a chronic disease that will presist for the life-time, however you can do something about it!! Here is the summary of my research results regarding this issue:

1) you may be having food sensitivity therefore avoid eating eggs, gluten, soy souce and tomatoes ( in all its forms tomato sauce, raw tomato ) or anything that has tomato in it for 3 months.

2) Take gastrointestinal supplementary tablets ( ie. psyllium husk, grape friut seeds extract and caprylic acid) twice daily for 2 years, this will help eliminating the bad bacteria and fungi that are causing this ( if present) ( by the way, these are natural products so if they did not benefit you they won't harm you!!).

3) Drink Sage tea 3 times daily, avoid greasy foods.

4) If you are experiencing a dripping from your anus, then it might be anal fistula ( you may need surgery, i had mine removed a few months ago).

This is the cream of the crop guys!! i know that doctors won't help!! if you found what i suggested helpful please share this to other sites. Hang in there everyone!! you are not alone :)
GOT RID OF THE PROBLEM BY USING POISE WASH AND ONCE OR TWICE A DAY APPLYING AN OVER THE COUNTER STERIOD CREAM. cONTINUE USING THE FEMININE WASH DAILY IN PLACE OF REGULAR SOAP OR BODY WASH.
    Mr, I hope you are not a troll, because your story sounds unbelievable. If not, you are DEAD WRONG about some things. First, (and foremost) you ARE loved. Second, ANYONE who is aware of your condition and still shuns or rejects you is a sh8theel themselves and not worthy of your friendship (the only exception are those with weak stomachs). Third, you should not "accept" this. It CAN be overcome. Be upfront about your condition. You have no reason to be ashamed of ANYTHING beyond your control. There IS a solution. Seek and you shall find.
I don't have a solution, for most of what I've read, but I just thought I'd share my own experience and thoughts.

I've been dealing with this for a few years now, and sadly I'm too ashamed to get it checked out, and have made similar attempts to some of the solutions here.

Reviewing the comments and my own experience. I notice most of the comments are related to other medical issues, but for the most part it seems they all share some concern and anxiety with body odour, specifically the anal region.

I've noticed there're a few things no one seems to have touched on. I'm uncomfortable with my current situation - same as anyone else - which causes me a lot of anxiety, and difficulty socialising. I've also noticed that in general I have a constant issue with body odour (i.e. sweat).

My anxiety and perspiration are, granted, an ill fated combination, and I imagine this is another thing contributing to the odours.

I notice no one has mentioned anything in regards to their physical health or fitness. Personally, I'm near over-weight. I have had issues similar to hose described with diets, and noticed a correlation between the two.
Though I also noticed all these factors tended to contribute to perspiration. Some of the solutions people have offered seem to indicate the same, though I don't consider this the cause.

I don't need to inform anyone that the anal region is a breeding ground for bacteria, but other things should also be noted. Just like most peoples armpits, or heads (for most people). They're a hairy trap, and ideal location, for sweat and debris. This ads on to my problem - if it isn't the cause, and I know I for one can't clean myself every hour of the day, and don't fancy the thought of resorting to wearing Rimtex everyday.

I've attempted using colons and deodorants, but by the time I'm already perspiring weather because of the anxiety over my perceived odder or simply being active, I'm back to square one.

I started thinking this was just me, but I noticed, unless it was someone with a keen sense of smell pointing out my odour, everyone else was near enough the same. I paid attention to my perspiration more often and noticed a few people and myself included with similar issues all had this in common.

So I guess this doesn't help much. It seems least likely that this is just an unspoken common concern everyone shares. Even though I'm prone to overthinking and over-analysing things, I think this might be something a bit more specific.

I'm going to get it checked out, it may be hopeless, but any diagnosis is better than none.
I had similar symptoms which got worse when I sat down, but the persistant odour was always there . I got told I had Ibs, I had a colonoscopy, got tested for food allegies and intolerances, had several medical examinations of my behind area to check for fissures or piles. All results came back negative and the doctor told me I was  imagining the pressure between my bum cheeks and the smell but I wasnt. I believe I have now found a cure...I read on the internet that bad bacteria causes a bad smell so I have been taking fast acting probiotics every morning for two weeks as well as cutting out fatty foods, eating more vegetables, drinking lots of water and eating at set times in a routine throughout the day. already this has made a big difference and my quality of life is at an all time high. I am doing the things i never was able to do before and i love it. My advice would be to get checked for the serious stuff first then if given the all clear, take control yourself and try out probiotics (if milk/dairy doesnt agree with you take ones with no lactose or in tablet form) It was a simple thing I did that changed my life and could do for you too
One thing that really works is douching. Lie on your back under a running tap of warm water with your legs up and your anus is face to face with the running water.  Allow the water to splash into your anus to remove all sweat and fecal remains.  Doing this for about 5 to 10 mins highly reduces the smell.  So far this works for me.
I dont think there is any cure for this facal odour, i have had it for some yrs now. We can only manage it.
As for me i use lime juice, squeez out the juice from lime into a botle, use coton wool with the lime juice to bath your anal area after bath and i guratee you 24hrs smell free. For the young guys and ladies i guarantee you can start dating and hanging around with friends and getting that dream job.
I wish you guys all the best.
I used anti-bacterial hand wash in the shower & that helped. But now  I have stopped eating Chia seeds, it has gone completely !
the problem your having could be connected to candida,try probiotics,garlic pills and coconut oil pills they are just some of natural supplements that fight candida.see a proctologist to make sure its nothing physical though.remember God loves you and there is a purpose for this problem and you will get better some day.
Pls, we have many types of Argo Corn Starch, which type did u use? Thanks
Hi. I recently started having this problem as well. Initially I thought it was because of my occasional constipation where my buttock gets sore due to force when I pass my waste; but one week I noticed the odor appeared even though I wasn't constipate at that time, so I started to do some online searches to see if I could find a solution. I did not find a solution so I started doing some brain-storming; I knew this wasn't a normal occurring condition...I did not have this problem all along, so something must be wrong. Finally it dawned on me that it must be some kind of infection or fungus that has developed in my anus (most likely from moisture and/or the warm climate), so one night I decided to use the only anti-fungal cream that I had in my house at the time, Lamisil. Lamisil is an anti-fungal cream for athlete feet and other superficial skin fungus. I started using it on  my anus according to the instructions for one week, and to my joy and happiness, I was completely rid of the odor and the occasional itching that accompanied it at times!
Please note that any prescribed anti-fungal cream may do the job equally fine, but these creams are for external use only, and should not be inserted inside the anus or vagina.
I am sharing this with every one who is suffering from this problem simply because I know how embarrassing it is. Some people tend to ridicule other people when they are suffering from a condition; some of us never know what it is another person is feeling until we find ourselves in he same position. We all need to remember that we are all humans and sickness is not confined to just one person, or a group of people. Let's all help each other...you never know when your time will come...I didn't know that I would be humiliated in this way because I am very strict and self conscious when it comes on to my personal hygiene.
Take care and God loves you!
Take care and God loves you!