Gastroenterology Community
pipida

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

pipida

Tell me what a pipida scan is.
  A Hida or a pipida scan. This is a scan in Nuclear Medicine that looks at the gallbladder and biliary tree. The scan is done for obstruction (as in gallstones).
In it you are injected with a small amount of radioactive isotopes. You don't directly react to these isotopes. What happens is a nuclear medicine camera then tracks the isotopes as it moves through your system.The typical scanning time is around an hour.
You will also be be given an injection that makes your gallbladder contract.  That part of the test measures how much bile is ejected from your gallbladder.  That measurement is called the ejection fraction.  IF I remember correctly, the neighborhood of 35% is normal, anything below about 20% or less indicates that the gallbladder isn't functioning as it should.  If there are any small stones in the bile duct, you might feel nauseated for a short time immediately after the injection.  If that happens, make sure you tell the radioloist as it's an important symptom to evaluate.
i looked your question up in the "medical dictionary" on google and it
says that pipida are tongueless tree frogs. if this is a health question,
can you verify your spelling and i'll recheck?