Gastroenterology Community
post- gastrectomy
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

post- gastrectomy

I ma having difficulty adjusting to eating after my gastrectomy. 70% of my stomach was removed recently (was NOT cancerous). What advice can others give me who have been through this surgery?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
i hade a total gastrectomy in 1991  it toke a year  to eat everything ,but chicken
i take a shot of b-12 and take a pill of folic acid 400 mg once a month
Blank
All of my stomach was removed in July '08. It is now February and I can eat anything but sweets. I don't eat much  but I eat  more often. I've lost 61 lbs but I had it to lose. Ineed tolose 20 more lbs. I do have to chew my food well and eat slowly. Hope this helps you.
                                           Janet 4167
Blank
My husband had gastrectomy due to cancer after gastric bypass he is totally reliant on j-tube feeding just wondering bout stomac transplants
Blank
My husband had a total gastrectomy and is now going through chemo.  He is having trouble eating,  uses his Y tube all the time.  Any suggestions on what he should eat?  I've started a blog,  http://gastrect.blogspot.com/  and would love suggestions/support.  The hospital dietician handed us a print out for bipass patients and that doesn't seem to work as he needs more sugar!
Blank
I had a total gastrectomy on 25 Jan 2010.  While I have to eat 6 - 8 small meals a day I can eat almost anything.  I try to make sure that what I eat nutritional.  For those who have a total gastrectomy you need to be aware that anything that is high in sugar or fats can cause gastric dumping - most unpleasant.

I would recommend that anyone having a total gastrectomy that they see a dietician regularly.  Mine has been of huge assistance and really monitored my weight loss etc.  After 12 months I have now lost 28 kg and I am finding life is now pretty good, although there are times I would love to have a big piece of cake.

Take care all of you.

Pam - Australia
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703