Gastroenterology Community
post colectomy/ileo reversal problems.. help!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

post colectomy/ileo reversal problems.. help!

Hi there - I"m new here!

Hoping someone has some words of wisdom or advice.

A quick summary first of all... I'm a 38 year old mum of 2 and competitive runner and triathlete. Was training for an Ironman triathlon last year then it all went a bit pearshaped!

June 2010  - rushed into hospital with peritonitis. Burst diverticulitis (didn't even know I had it) which they eventually decided I'd been born with. laprascopic surgery and IV antibiotics - hoped it would settle

August 2010 - partial colectomy (anterior resection) to remove massive abscess. Formation of temporary loop ileostomy

September 2010 - got fit enough to run local 10k.

October 2010 - reversal of ileostomy - didn't go to well. Paralytic ileus and huge bloating. Hospital 7 days.

Since then have struggled with massive bloating, constipation, weight gain (12 lbs) nausea etc. Struggling to sleep or eat as it's so bloated and uncomfortable. Basically feels like nothing is working. Despite high fibre, water, exercise, coffee blah blah blah.  Feels like there is no motility in the colon and no muscle tone.  I haven't worn a pair of jeans for 7 months as just so bloated all the time.. Doc has now put me on movicol, but need to take 4-5 sachets just to see a bit of action and doesn't do much for the bloating. Right now I'm struggling badly and all I can eat is a virtual liquid/soft mush diet and any action I do see is (sorry to be gross) like ribbons or worms..   Am seeing consultant tomorrow, but thinking it must be something like colonic inertia or a partial obstruction. Am seriously fed up and it's affecting my life, job etc. Right now I just wish I had the bag back...

Be really good to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience or has any advice...

Thanks