Gastroenterology Community
question on fluid categories
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

question on fluid categories

If a person has a history of drinking too much water and has osteoporosis because of it and therefore needs to limit the fluid intake, in gauging how much fluid intake one should have, should the following be included in the category of fluid:
1. Milk, whole or skim
2. Yogurt
3. Soup
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Excessive water/ fluid intake is unlikely to be the primary cause of osteoporosis, no matter how mineral depleted it is. Though all these would add to the fluid intake, restriction of fluid intake is not advised with osteoporosis, especially if one is on calcium supplements/ medications and rather slightly increase fluid intake is advised to prevent side effects related to the GI.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Excessive water/ fluid intake is unlikely to be the primary cause of osteoporosis, no matter how mineral depleted it is. Though all these would add to the fluid intake, restriction of fluid intake is not advised with osteoporosis, especially if one is on calcium supplements/ medications and rather slightly increase fluid intake is advised to prevent side effects related to the GI.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Thank you so much for your reply!
Blank
Dear Dr. Saul,

Thank you very much again for your reply. Please be so kind and answer my other questions on this matter.

I was just reading this study on polydipsia in schizophrenic patients and how schizophrenic patients who drank too much were found to have osteoporosis.

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/3/447.full.pdf

I am not schizophrenic, but I do live in hot weather and have a habit of drinking frequently for 2-3 decades. I would always drink about 100oz of free water. Plus I eat a lot of soups and tea, etc. Overall, this amounted to about a range of 128-170 oz of fluids per day.

Do you think this could possibly have caused my Osteoporosis? I was also diagnosed with Collagenous Colitis in 2005.

I am just trying to find answers to my health conditions.

Thank you so much
Blank
The study implicates a number of factors that may be implicated in lowered BMD : "accumulated effects ...................these processes include hyperprolactinemia, hypogonadism, and increased interleukin activity, as well as polydipsia and impaired fluid and electrolyte balance (mostly calcium), smoking-related processes, dietary and vitamin deficiencies, and decreased exercise and exposure to sunshine."
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...