Gastroenterology Community
question regarding illness

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

question regarding illness

Thursday of last week, I became ill.  I don't know what caused it---  if it was a stomach virus, something I ate, or what.  It involved several things----  it started with intense stomach pains that were all over the abdomen.  Almost like cramping.  I did indeed begin having diarrhea at that time.  I also became very nauseated with gagging but not a lot of throwing up.  I did have a fever on and off as well as a wicked headache.  Miserable.  I was sick until Saturday night when the nausea stopped and the headache lessened a bit.  I still had stomach pains and diarrhea and a mile headache as well as feeling like a train had run over me.  It was the kind of sick where you can't sleep---  so I was exhausted.  By Monday, I felt much better---  no headache or nausea and just a touch of diarrhea but STILL the pains and feeling like I was going to have diarrhea.  Now, I'm on the flip end and constipated.  I still have the pains and frankly, I'm a bit distended.  I know I had a good amount of gas during the illness and perhaps it is gas??  anyway, I'm not really sure what the question is other than---  would the lingering abdominal cramping/pains and constipation just be my stomach and bowels getting back to normal?  My appetite sort of came back although tonight I ate no dinner.  Just not hungry for anything.  I did have a salad for lunch and did eat chicken for dinner last night (my first meat since I've been ill).  

Anyway, I know I should probably get checked by a doctor but was just wondering if any of this rings a bell.  Tired of stomach pains!
anyone?
any thoughts?  Pain is often in the upper middle quadrant of my abdomen but in other places as well.  I will get bloated and have a good deal of pain and nausea will return.  Currently, that isn't lasting as long and is more prevalent at night.  But the pains are often throughout the day.  Body just recovering from the illness?
This sounds like it could be any number of things. Where else is your pain and does it radiate?  Do fatty foods make it worse?  
Well, it almost always starts up on top but yes, goes elsewhere.  The area is tender all over as well.  In truth, anything makes it happen at this point even just drinking liquid.  I am eating very small meals and sometimes just a few bites.  The pain is sharp while being squeezing and cramp like at the same time, if that makes sense.

I truly feel you should see your doctor, there are a number of things that could be going on.  Keep yourself well hydrated until you see your doctor.  Please let me know what you find out.  Take care.
You are probably right.  I keep hoping it just gets better but that doesn't solve anything, right?  Thanks for your response Mammo!