Gastroenterology Community
rectal discharge after total colectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rectal discharge after total colectomy

My dad is 73 and had a total colectomy 2.5 months ago and has an ileostomy bag.  This week he has had daily bouts of bloody mucus discharged from his rectum, usually when he's peeing.  There's nothing attached to his rectum at all anymore.  Has anyone else experienced this?  They shipped him from the rehab/nursing home to the ER a few days ago where they ran a bunch of blood tests (all normal -no other signs of bleeding or anemia) and did an exam (no obvious lesions or hemeroids (sp?)).  They shipped him back to the rehab. The discharge isn't painful and he's feeling better than ever this week.  Blood is bright red (not old and dark).
Your dad should not be having any bleeding or discharge, especially since they saw no obvious signs of lesions or hemorrhoids.  It sounds to me like his bleeding is a result of the surgery, and should be investigated further. I've had five people in my family who had their colons removed and never anything coming from the rectum at this point.  It's closed off and nothing should be getting through.
Some people who have an ileostomy still have part or all of their rectum. The rectum is living tissue, and will continue to produce mucus. This mucus may leak out of the rectum at times and a pad can help to 'catch' the leak. It may also help to periodically sit on the toilet to try to expel the mucus in the future. However, if the amount of mucus is excessive, particularly bothersome, has a foul odor, or is green or yellow or red in color, it needs to be evaluated. Push the doc to follow-up.