Gastroenterology Community
rectal pressure/pain

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rectal pressure/pain

I have had rectal pressure, and now pain for about 3 years now. There isn't a specific pattern. It just happens. It begins with a dull pressure which then instensifies, and the only relief I get is if I bear down (push) to have a bowel movement, but unfortunately sometimes I can't go. Even though I am successful, the pressure and pain lingers. Lately during these episodes, I have had a most horrifying experience. As I sit on the toilet forcing myself to move my bowels, an odd feeling envelopes me. It begins with nausea, within seconds, dizziness, then come the cold/hot flashes, and ringing in the ears. At times I feel that I'm about to fall off the toilet. The first time it happened I attributed to an allergic reaction to Tylenol because that's what I had taken when I was experiencing the rectal pressure and pain. The last time it happened about 4 days ago, I did not take any medication, and still had the same symptoms. My husband said that I was as white as a ghost, and that perhaps I was hyperventilating By the way, he's not a doctor. I have gone to several doctors, and none have diagnosed the problem. One doctor told me that it was rectal cramps, and that I should call her when it happened again. Yeah, right like I'm going to call her at 3:00 a.m. and she's going to see me. The problem is that when I have doctor appointments, I am not experiencing the pain. I'm so tired of them dismissing my symptoms and not finding the problem. I have had a colonoscopy, and everything was fine. I have had by gall bladder removed, but the problem persists. If anyone has any answers, please post. I have yet another appointment in a few days. This time I am not going to leave the office until I get a referral to some kind of specialist who can help me. This pressure/pain is very real! I'm sick and tired of doctors dismissing my symptoms as if it's nothing. It's nothing to them because they're not experiencing the pain I'm feeling!! Any suggestions???
Wondering if you ever got any answers to your problem with rectal pain/pressure, dizziness, hot flashes and ringing ears?  I woke up in the middle of the night experiencing just what you described and it was very upsetting.