Gastroenterology Community
rectal seal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rectal seal

How to treat? If not treated, any bad side? If repair by incision  through vagina and sew the muscle, is it safe and any side effect?
Personally I have never heard of a rectal seal. How does that happen.With a little more information you may get the right answer.
I had a rectocele repair, 9 months ago. The repair was made through the wall of my vagina. Unfortunately, my Gyne sewed me up so tight, I have problems moving my bowels. Make sure your Gyne has excellent experience with this repair. Good luck.
I had a rectal seal done by my gyn through the vaginal wall. For months after the surgery I had constant pain, especially when I tried to have intercourse. I repeatedly made visits to his office to find out why I was having so much pain. He said everything looked fine and he did not know where the pain was coming from. I then went to two other male gyns in his practice, they both said the same thing. They made me feel like it was all in my mind. I then went to a female gyn; as soon as she looked at my vaginal area she asked who did my surgery. I told her the doctor's name and told her the doctor has since retired and the practice is in his son's name. She said the repair was done incorrectly and could not be repaired. I've had to live with this now for almost fifteen years. Women, don't be like me, too scared to asked the doctor questions and trusting his judgment; always asked how many of these surgeries he's done and get a second opinion.
Thanks,Gwen.I am afraid of rectal seal repair through the vagina for all the reasons you mentioned.As it is,I will have to give myself shots in the belly for a week before surgery because I am on Coumadin and the shots reduce the blood clotting enough so I don't bleed too much.I will be conscientious about asking questions and references.
I had rectocele repair surgery last April. After the surgery during my recuperation I was having a difficult time.  I started researching the internet to see if my symptoms during recovery were normal.  That is when I started seeing horrifying posts.  If I had read many of the posts prior to my surgery I may not have gone through with it, but I was misserable and did not want to live with that condition.  I will admit that it was not until this last month that I can say that I am finally OK.  It has taken nearly 9 to 10 months to feel normal again.  So I just want to say to those that are reading these posts trying to decide whether or not to have the surgery that I am really glad that I did and that I am leading a normal life again.  It was a very uncomfortable process, and just don't expect a fast recovery, but it was well worth it to me.
It's been 3 1/2 years since my surgery and I have given up on my problem. I still have issues having bowel movements and the pain with sex isn't that bad anymore or I've just gotten use to it. What did they do wrong??  Please help so tired of having to help myself go to the bathroom!