Gastroenterology Community
recurrent bowel obstruction

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

recurrent bowel obstruction

My son is 14. He had an intususseption when he was 10. He had an emergency surgery and was in the hospital a week. Less than a year later he had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with bowel obstruction due to scar tissue. He had surgery again to repair. Now, three years later, he had another high grade obstruction. He was in the hospital 2 days. They treated the obstruction with ng tube and iv. The obstruction was resolved and he is now at home. My question is, how long will this go on? Will it occur again? He has been through so much already.
Often, people who have bowel obstructions and surgery to take care of them have life long issues with bowel obstructions. It is similar to the different ways our bodies heal and form scars...some of us the scar totally disappears after a few months and is flat. Others form keloids and the smallest lacertion forms a big scar. Adhesions/scar tissue in the abdomen are often that same way. He will get to know his symptoms and hopefully when caught very early they can treat it with the NGtube and IVfluids.
thank you. That is exactly what everyone keeps saying. I have beend doing a lot of research and was just hoping there was just something we could do to prevent it. He eats very healthy and is very active/athletic. I guess we will just have to continue to be aware of it.