Gastroenterology Community
red and raw around anus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

red and raw around anus

I am a 24 year old male. My stool tends to be somewhat loose and occasionally watery/liquid. It's rarely full blown diarhhea.

I have noticed over the last month or so that the area around my anus is very raw feeling and sore. I am trying to figure out if this is just my skin being burned;/corroded a bit by my loose stool or if it's a fissure or infection. It feels raw and sore when wiping after a bowel movement, when sweat runs into it from intense exercise, etc. There is no blood in my stool that I'm aware of nor is ther any blood when I wipe. It just feels really tender and sore. I have no been sexually active in the last year, so STIs can be ruled out.

I am just somewhat alarmed because the area around my anus is very very bright red where it is sore. Does this sound like a burn or an infection to you? I am terrified of Crohn's disease or celiac's disease, and would like to rule this out as a source of my loose stool as well.

Please advise ASAP. I am extremely anxious about this problem.
Tags: anus, red, raw, diarrhea
This is caused by the loose stool, and nothing to worry about.  Always keep a small amount of vaseline on there and it will clear up very quickly.  Make sure you keep the area clean.  You can buy a a small tube of Vaseline that's made for your lips, and keep it in your pocket to use when you're away from home.  Try adding some fiber to your diet and if your stool doesn't firm up, see a Gastroenterologist.  Take care...
Loose stool will do that to you. I use preparation h and vaseline when I have this problem. That clears it all up. Good luck!