red stools
I ate red velvet cake today.  Later in the day I had a bowel movement that was red.  can the red dye be the cause of this?
Yes it very much could be, the same way that alcohol can discolor stools aswell and chilli and spicey foods have an affect on it. I would watch your stool for the next 24 to 48 hours and if you see no change go along to your doctor and mention you would like a stool test done. If you have no discomfort and your not having any symptoms that are out of the normal, and your stool is still the same consitancy as normal then you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it. But thats just my opinion hope it helps a little.
Red velvet cake is a favorite for Valentine's Day and it always provokes a 'rush' of people to their docs the day after. Everyone is worried because their stool suddenly has 'blood' in it.

The red color is due to the dye used in the cake. Unless the condition continues chalk it up to something you ate.