Gastroenterology Community
reversal of jejunoileal bypass

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

reversal of jejunoileal bypass

I am very scared and confused. I had a jejunoileal bypass 4 years ago. lost 65kg. I am experiencing a lot of side effects like arthiritis-dermatitis, anemia, malabsorpsion etc.I am sick all the time! I am going for a reversal on the 20 may, what  guaranty do I have that my symptoms will subside and that I wont gain all the weight again after the surgery?!!! What can I expect post-op?
How old are you, male/female, what was/is your body weight/height if you don't mind?

Were you ever diagnosed with some gastrointestinal disease?
I believe if you google 'aftermath of reversal of jejunoileal bypass' you'll find several brief abstracts of some small studies done on reversals of this procedure. They'll give you some statistics on post-op weight gain and post-op arthritis.
thanx for responding! I am female and 35 years old and weight 135kg before the jejunoileal bypass. I am weighing 70kg now. I was never diagnosed with a gastrointestinal disease.
Well, it would be good to have blood work done to see if you have lack of vitamin 12, and folate, which are normally absorbed in ileum. Only doctor can say (after examination), which of your symptoms are from malabsorption; all these symptoms should improve. In other words, if you have not developed any new intestinal disease in this time, all of your symptoms should improve. You should ask a surgeon about this before surgery. Try to call him, it's a 2 minute question.

You won't gain weight again only, if you'll stick with some diet program guided by a  proffesional dietitian.
Hi my name is Alma, I had the reversal of the jejunoileal bypass March 2011. I can not eat anything that I have to chew. I live on liquid, ensure juices, smoothie and lots of water. I can eat broth of some soups. If I do eat I get severe upper stomach pain and vomiting for days. The pain last for four to five days. I have had Ct, XRay,& EGD. The only thing found is bile backing back in to the stomach & my stomach moves slower then it should, other then that nothing.I do have a lot of scare tissue.  If any one has the same problem please let me know.This is the hardest things I have ever dealt with.  The only good thing is I keep my weight down. (HaHa)           Thank you