Gastroenterology Community
rib bruising

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rib bruising

I am an 18 year old female and for over a year now, when ever i touch my rib or rub it it feels like it bruised, there is no swelling or discoloration. I have never had any serious medical issues. what could this be?
Tags: ribs, abruptsing, no females, Pain, question
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
A complete medical history, clinical examination and investigations are very important for detecting the exact cause of illness. The common causes of pain in ribs are strained muscle, muscle sprain, costochondritis.Sometimes awkward sleeping positions can cause costo transverse sprain leafing to severe pain in the ribs. In intercostals neuritis there is inflammation of the nerve between the ribs and radiating to the chest. Heart and lung problems and GERD can also lead to pain in ribs. Some abdominal problems like gallbladder stones; liver disease all can cause referred pain on right side of chest. Seek medical help. A clinical examination and investigations will help. Keep us posted.
Best of luck and regards!