Gastroenterology Community
right side colitis

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

right side colitis

I was recently diagnosed with right side colitis what is the difference between right side colitis and left side colitis my specilist didin't explain this to me.  
The designation is basically telling you where along the length of the large intestine you are experiencing an inflammatory pattern. It suggests that it it found in the right side, or the portion of the bowel called the ascending colon. Knowing where it is, specifically, will also help the doc to determine which meds to use because some of the meds are 'coated' to release in certain areas of the large intestine.

Make sure you sit down with your doc and discuss the form of colitis you have and what treatment you need to use. Also discuss any long-term implications.