right sided pain under rib cage radiating to back
My husband has complained of severe right sided pain in his upper abdo under rib cage, which at night radiates into his back and over to his left side.  This is quite severe and taking many analgesia to try and keep pain at bay.  Had Upper Abdo U/s which was all clear expect fatty liver and gas.  All bloods come back normal, urine normal.  Were thinking gall stones but u/s was clear.  Not related to foods, minimal nausea. some anorexia, no vomiting, dry mouth, sweating.  One day, maybe two weeks in was unable to pass urine, next day this was okay but day after was constipated quite severely.  Something is definitely going on but Doctors reached his tether.  Help please!!  Any ideas.  He is 36 and normally healthy.  Did have meniscus tear repair with arthroscopy approximately six weeks ago but don't think this is related.
All of this sounds a bit like gallbladder issues. The ultrasound isn't the only test that should be done to check out that organ. A HIDA scan with CCK injection should also be done to look at his ejection fraction. Did they check liver and pancreatic enzyme levels?  Fatty foods don't bother him at all?

Any change in the color of his fecal material?
Even though the ultrasound revealed no gallstones, he could still have a gallbladder problem.  He needs a HIDA scan done to determine if his gallbladder is functioning correctly.  His symptoms are classic for gallbladder trouble, so don't give up on that possibility just yet.  In the meantime, he needs to avoid eating fats.  The gallbladder contracts when we eat fatty foods, and if it isn't working correctly the pain will only get worse.
I agree just because the sono didnt show stones doesnt mean anything. He could have a diseased gallbladder. Thats what i had and all his symptoms sound way too familiar.
Sounds like Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction... this is a malfuction of the valve that allows bile and salts to drain into the intestines from the gallbladder and pancreas... it can be pretty serious over time.. look it up.. sometimes called SOD... the HIDA scan will be a good start.. but find a doctor who can really check for this...  there are other tests that need to be done that can see if this is the problem.. like sphincter manometry, to check the pressure backup in the tubes that empty through this valve... there are only two doctors in St.louis Missouri that look at this, they are rare doctors to find because the tests and the fix are pretty tricky.. good luck!
oh yeah, the regular doctors will try to get you to have the gallbladder removed to fix this if this is what he has.. but that is not really always the answer... be careful.
I agree, I think it's the gallbladder.
Thanks for your helpful comments.  We have just had panniculitis diagnosed by CT.  Problem is now that nobody seems to know anything much about it.....Anybody out there know anything helpful?  GP Knows nothing so sending him off to see Physician but not for another three weeks........