rotten egg / sulfuric burps!
This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.

hello.  Ocationally I have rotten egg burps.  Especially a lot in the past couple of days!... at first I thought I might have a gluten allergy, but i can eat products with gluten in them, like bread, but ramen (oodles of noodles) and regular pasta I have problems with.  Then I thought it was meat but a garlicy hamburger (which was my testing meat product) resulted in my feeling better. So I started to think maybe garlic or onions were the factor that would prevent my tummy from rebelling and so far that has worked. The symptoms are basically evil burps and tummy pain, no diahrehha ever has come with it yet.  There were some articles that said it might be because of water that has been contaminated, where other sites support my gluten allergy theory.  I have no idea what the problem might be, but I have saw that there were thousands of people who had very similar problems and after a complete GI series nothing, CT scans nothing, numerous blood tests and nothing! this seems to be a mystery problem.  I myself have had elevated liver functions in a blood tests but everythign else I've been tested for has come back normal. any thoughts?
I think I have solved it.

I had some great barbecued chicken once and it started.

Burps so foul that it literally cleared the room. (This should be in caps.)
Next day water diarrhea so bad I thought I was a rocket takeing off.
Bloating in the abdomen so it felt hard.
No vomiting.

It took four days to finally calm down. But it came back.

My wife noticed it was whenever I ate chicken. Went off chicken totally for two weeks and so far so good.

I do have type II diabetes and am very lactose intolerant.

I hope this helps someone. I feel it was improperly handled chicken that devoloped some type of bacteria growth that loves chicken.
I think I have solved it.

No vomiting.

I am so relieved to have read all the comments and feel so bad for all of you that are suffering. My 17 year old daughter suffers from this condition and I mean suffers. It is debilitating, for at least 24 hours, she misses school and is in bed for the day. The burping not only smells awful but is painful as they come up, then the diarrhea starts and she can't stop!
Her Dr. perscribed Prevacid, but it doesn't seem to help at all! I did read today about Pepto, so we gave that a try.
There has to be an answer and a cure for this awful condition!
I guess my next step is to have her tested for h-pyloric and giardia.
As a Mom, I feel so helpless and it gives me piece of mind to know there are so many others out there with the same condition.
Thank you also much for your suggestions and words of wisdom!
I have had the same symptoms as well the eggy burps, gas, and extreme bloating. Then a few days later the diarrhea occurs. I tend to have this problem late at night. I am actually having an episode now at 2:30 am. I thought the cause was due to stress because when this whole ordeal begin I had lost my job. Then when I found work the problem went away but I have gotten the symptoms back again and it seems to flare up when I was having stress issue but not tonight I had no stress. I did however had milk and cookies before bed. I also thought maybe food related but the food diary didn't help. I have also notice when I will start back on drinking soda's that it happens. I can't go to the Dr. because I don't have insurance. Sometimes to relieve the pain I will make myself throw up. I also have found sucking a peppermint does help. I pray that Dr's will futher investigate this issue and listen to us about our problem.
Krystal
I did not take the time to read each and every comment here, but am addressing those who suffer from the horrible violent vomiting attacks that come and go after a period of having the horrible sulfer rotten egg burps.  I started having this when I was 17 years old.  I am now 44.  I have had numerous tests by gastroenterologists including ct scans, ultrasounds, barium tests, IV Contrasts, endoscopies, colonoscopies, blood tests, you name it.  All tests came back normal every time.  I only had these episodes maybe 3-4 times a year on average until this year.  I have had 9 attacks in the past 2 months and have just recently stumbled upon the cause.  It is called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and is a variant of abdominal migraine.  I am taking a trial migraine medication when the attack first starts and I vomit once and then I'm done.  Completely.  This is huge in comparison to being completely debilitated for a day and a half to 2 days of chronic violent retching type vomiting.  I see a neurologist next week who will likely put me on a preventative migraine medication.  By the way, none of the doctors discovered what was wrong with me.  I came upon the information myself and provided them with the possibility and they are apologizing all over the place for not thinking of this which I think is really sad.  I hope this helps at least a few of you who are experiencing this because it is truly horrible.  Good Luck.
I have only had this problem for a little over a year now. It comes and goes, but I've noticed that it ALWAYS happens when I eat late at night. I'm not talking a cookie or two. More like a bowl of cereal or something more. For while I've suspected nuts as well. No definitive there yet. When I went to the doctor he immediately wrote off any sort of parasite because I have not be out of the country or been around anyone who has. He recommend I have my galbladder tested for its level of function on how well it was extracting stomach bile. I never had the test done though. I've noticed that when I wake up with them if I sleep in for a few hours extra they subside. But If I have to get up and go, I end up miserable and it does result in diahreah later on that day. Today I am miserable, so I was just checking to see if there were any new answers to the problem. :(
Hi Van,

Not sure if you will get this or not, but I wanted to try. I am now 24-years-old and have been dealing with this problem since I turned 21. I have seen countless allergists with no luck on a successful diagnosis. Recently I met a doctor who suggested I may have a tyramine allergy (all fermented foods and those with preservatives). Since avoiding all those things I have been doing well, however, I noticed if I eat leftovers (especially hamburgers) I become uncomfortable.

Your enzyme explanation makes sense though. Did you see a regular family doctor or an allergist?

Thanks in advance,
Marisa
Hi all to you all, and my deepest sympathies to everyone suffering from this problem!! I believe I have a cure for this dreadful condition but I have to break this post in half so please bear with me:)

I woke up this morning with the dreadfull and much maligned "rotten egg burbs" accompanied with bloating, diarrhea and the feeling of vomiting - I have not vomited yet thankfully and my symptoms are now subsiding after a probiotic treatment of Kefir and Kombucha - for those of you who are not familiar with these two forms of tea Kefir is a type of probiotic usually sold in Health food stores as a liquid "yogurt" and Kombucha is also sold at health food stores as a probiotic health drink usually in the form of tea - Kefir can also be made as a tea - both are very easy to make yourself at home as well and are excellent support for the digestive track and immune system

I understand that many people on this forum are probably looking for a medical diagnosis and some form of medical treatment to overcome such a condition. I unfortunately am not able to provide such a solution to people as I am not a doctor, but for those of you who are open to alternative methods of treatment I have 10 years of experience in alternative medicines, namely acupuncture, kinesiology, herbology, and energy work.

Without getting in to a huge post about the problems with western medicine and dealing with chronic conditions I will say that it comes as no surprise to me that so many people have gone to their doctors with absolutely no results. Therefor I thought that perhaps there might be some amongst you willing to try alternative methods of diagnosis and treatment.

I am not a doctor!! That being said I have successfully treated myself of this condition and believe I know what is going on with my own body. Your body is your own and any advice you take from this post should also be checked with your doctor.

I myself had this problem throughout my teens. It went away for many many years but came back last night for reasons I will explain. Basically over the past few days I have been very bad to my body. It started by eating fast food for two days in a row and then topping it off with a sugar binge last night - woke up this morning with a solid rock in my gut, diarrhea, and the feeling like I was going to vomit - and lets not forget the best part of all - Toxic burps that literally woke my girlfriend up from sleep!!

So what the hell happened??

It is to me a simple thing, but may not seem so simple once explained - I am going to try to keep this as short and too the point as possible. The digestive system is a very sensitive system and can easily be upset by a number of factors - eating highly refined foods like sugars, yeast, glutens, heavy fats and protiens and others have a very debilitating effect on our digestion and the rest of our bodies. Our digestion can easily get overwhelmed by these things and when it does a whole assortment of things can occur. Needless to say our bodies are not evolved or designed to be on a constant diet of refined foods - and we all pay the price for it daily

so to say it simply this condition is a serious sign that your digestive track has been thrown way out of balance and is no longer functioning as it should be when dealing with certain foods or any food for that matter. The digestive track can be thrown off for any number of reasons, and every person is a little different so discovering what it is that upsets your tract is vital if you want to get over this. Furthermore these things can change pretty readily - one day a McDonalds burger is okay and then the next time your burping and pooping and have no idea why!! Sometimes your stomach can handle something sometimes it cant. This only serves to add to a persons  frustration and  confusion - especially when doctors provide no answers

To understand what is happening one should understand a bit about the digestive system and how it works. This condition is related specifically to three important parts in your body that aid in digestion and the subsequent failure of one or all of these parts working properly in your digestive tract resulting in undigested food in your gut.

1. The pancreas
2. The gallbladder
3. intestinal flora/fauna

1. The Pancreas
2. The Gallbladder
3. Flora and Fauna (probiotics)

I will give a basic breakdown of these three parts and their function.

1. The Pancreas: Probably one of the most important parts of the digestive tract (pancreatic cancer is one of the WORST cancers to get and anybody with this condition on a chronic basis should have their pancreas checked ASAP!!!) The pancreas is responsible for producing the enzymes that digest pretty much everything we eat. What most people don't know is that there are only three types of enzymes used in this process: Enzymes for fats, Enzymes for Protiens, and Enzymes for Sugars/Carbs

The #1 reason a person suffers from this condition is because their pancreas is on overload and is not producing enough enzymes to keep up with your eating habits. Pay attention here!! figure out which ones of the three; Fats, Protiens, or Sugars, seem to bring on a negetive reaction and cut those foods back from your diet ( you don't need to rid yourself entirely just cut back) - also find some good enzymes at any health food store and take them as a supplement with any meal containing these trigger foods - or better yet, take them with any meal regardless

The pancreas has to build up enzymes and will begin to run low if you are eating rich foods that require a lot of enzymes to break down - taking enzyme supplements and cutting back on rich foods gives your pancreas a break and allows it to build those enzymes back up - this is also a big reason why some foods can trigger at one time and not another - most the time your pancreas should have enough enzymes, but bad diet and other things like stress can over tax the pancreas and you will run low on enzymes - put a rich food into your stomach without enough enzymes to break it down and guess what happens;)

I personally eat a lot of sugar regularly - so I know my enzymes for sugar are being taxed heavily - after my sugar binge last night I have nobody to blame but myself for putting my body through that and it is letting me know what is up today!!

2. The Gallbladder:  and to some degree the stomach, also produce enzymes for digestion. The gallbladder produces bile which is used to break down fats - fats are extremelly hard to break down so the body not only uses enzymes from the pancreas but also uses bile to break up fats into a digestible state

The stomach produces acids instead of enzymes to break up protiens and amino acids which are also tough to digest and require some pretty nasty acids to get to -

if either of these are out of balance you may find fatty and protien rich foods (often these are combined) to be the culprits - the cure is the same as the pancreas - more digestive enzymes especially the ones used to break up fats and protiens are necessary - and again if you have a doctor have them do a check on your pancreas enzyme levels

3. Flora and Fauna: as most people are aware of to some degree, your gut is filled to the brim with living organisms that help you digest your food - this is your flora/fauna and most of these organisms live in a symbiotic state with us. That means that they work together with our own body to form a mutually beneficial relationship: we provide these organisms with a place to live, feed, and breed; and they provide us with the nutrients we need from our foods. Unfortunately the gut also provides a safe haven for a whole host of things that can also be damaging. All of us have heard of stomach and intestinal worms and parasites and such. Few of us actually understand much about how important having a healthy flora and fauna in our gut is to our over all health and well being.

I will keep this short and to the point and let the reader take responsibility for their education on this subject - but if you are suffering from this condition (especially involving sugars/carbs) it is almost assured that your flora/fauna is out of balance and needs some help!!

One of the biggest culprits for throwing our flora/fauna out of balance is yeasts ...as I have explained above the pancreas/gallbladder/stomach are responsible for most of the break down of fats and protiens for absorbtion into the body by our flora/fauna - without the help from these organs things like fats and protiens would take a lot longer for our flora/fauna to be able to digest themselves, and the process would be not only be slower but you guessed it - much gassier and probably leave a mess to exit the back door (or do the opposite and clog you up) -

Sugars/carbs on the other hand are a different matter - these things are absolutely loved by most the flora/fauna in your body and they will digest them readily without much help from the body - none the less, the pancreas still produces enzymes to help break down some of the more complex carbohydrates. If you eat a lot of heavy carbs and don't produce enough enzymes to deal with them your flora/fauna will again cause bloating and gas - although you will probably pass this with only minor discomfort, any condition more serious than a little cramping and gas is a sign of deeper problems in carb rich diets

and that brings me back to yeast - as well as other parasitical problems with the gut which should also be checked out - yeast feeds mostly on sugars and carbs and can wreak havoc on your flora/fauna systems. Have your yeast levels checked by a doctor if you eat a lot of sugars/carbs and have these problems. Yeast produces all sorts of gasses and by products that are toxic for the body to deal with, Yeast plays a small supportive role in our digestive system, but when it gets out of control it can wreak havoc

gluten allergies, as well as candida are all caused by yeast imbalances - breads and other high carb foods almost always contain a ton of yeast in them. Simple sugars like sodas and candy can make your yeast go out of control within hours of consumption.

again I will try to keep this to the point: if you notice that you are triggered more by sugars than you are by fats/protiens this is a flora/fauna thing and should be contained with probiotics and lots of them!!

Opposed to having a lack of enzymes in which a person can simply stop eating something for a while or cut it from their diet to get rid of the problem; It is extremely difficult to get rid of flora/fauna imbalances simply by cutting things out of your diet - if the yeast is there and stops getting gluten or sugar it will find something else to feed on - it is a very tiring and extremely long process to cut everything you are use to eating out of your diet to try and kill off flora/fauna in your gut that isn't helping you - and many people simply fail to do so and end up resigning to live their lives in discomfort just to eat the foods they like

the solution to this is PROBIOTICS!! - you cannot take too many, and the more you take the better - you have to build up your beneficial flora/fauna so it can compete (there is a war inside your gut!!)with the yeast and other parasitic organisms that are taking your gut over. When you have more probiotics in your gut than you do yeast and other parasites your system will begin to return to normal again

Also - antibiotics are notorious for throwing off our flora/fauna (the reason doctors say eat yogurt after taking them) so if you have taken a lot of antibiotic medications in your life time you might want to seriously consider this

good sources of probiotics are of course yogurt, and as I mentioned before Kefir and Kombucha - Raw foods also contain a number of probiotics and should be eatin daily. You can also find an assortment of probiotics in the form of dietary supplements but I personally do no feel they work as well as foods with real live cultures already in them.

and Just as a case report for all of you - when I sat down to write this I was feeling like I was about to vomit and squirting out my arse every five minutes - it was horrible!! Knowing that this was caused by my sugar binge last night I opened up one of my home brewed bottles of Kefir tea and started drinking it and now as I sit here typing the final words to this post I am feeling 100% better:) - Kefir eats sugars up like a hungry beast and cleared out about a half pound of gummy bears, fruit sours, and jelly beans coupled with chocolate bar and a bag of MMs - and turned it all into something my body can actually handle

no more burbs and no more poops - it took about 1 hr and for the next few days I will treat my tummy with the TLC it deserves!! -

I do not expect it to come back again:)

Good luck to all of you I hope the information I have provided is helpfull:)
wow, can i say that this whole link has put a smile on my face!
not bc of the awful symptoms i have which u all have, the g-d awful rotten/sulfur /egg burps, (someone said mouth farts! brilliant way of describing it) or the gas feeling in my stomach, and the sometimes vomiting and the WORST symptom to me. which is the G-D AWFUL  diarehia!! , the watery non stop disgusting diarehia!!.
first gastrologist was  a complete JERK, dismissed me as being an alarmints and just reacting like a crazy person, did stool test told me I had Hpyloric and needed antiboitics (but bc i was breasfeeding my 2 month old baby, I had to wait till I had finished to take the medicine).

I went to another gastrologist and he was niceer, really listen to me , did the endocoscopy and the sigmonosopy, tested me for Celiac diease. he told me that the endocospy said i did NOT have H.pyloric or Celiac D,  but mild gastritis and told me I  just have a "spostic colon" and i need a high fiber diet.

from what I read of IBS, I DO NOT HAVE IBS!........... which is disharteneing bc like everyone else I am just looking for a REASON A CAUSE a DIAGNOSIS of the problem!....

being that I dont know what it is or what is going on, i have just been eating better (yes, alot of high fiber) and staying away from things that aggravate gastritis: caffeine, chocolate, spices, acid, alcohol, tomatoes...)

thank g-d I have been feeling a lot better, but i dont like the feeling of "not kwowing" whats going on and worst the feeling of dread when i go to sleep,bc i dont know if I will wake up with "THIS NIGHTMARE" again.

and this is why I am so glad i found this link and all you guys, not only bc it makes such a difference to know you are not alone, and ur not crazy and their are OTHERS outhere who suffer like you, but bc many of you are giving us hope with your own conclusions, and your own diagnosis and your own treatmentS!
you bet i will try the papaya, and you bet i am printing out the explanation from  medicine man and really taking that to heart!

I just wanted to thank you all out there who suffer like I do, for your support
may g-d help us ALL get better soon!!

<3

I know the cure. It's really simple. It requires no prescription or any tests. The cure is digestive enzymes. I'm serious. I tried so many other things and tried these pills i had by accident. I almost was going to keep quiet about this but i want to help everyone that was in my shoes. I'm using Now's Super Enzymes. It has what other pills have alone, but all together and it's pretty cheap on amazon. Take one of these pills with every meal and you'll see. Let me know what happens. I think you'll be happy! email me at ***@****. My doctor agreed with using these pills and also said try apple cider vinegar pills or the liquid.
I too have this problem suddenly after just starting a long course of Diflacan for a yeast infection. Just thought I would tell you since you mentioned that in your Post!
This sounds aboout right to me, I am going through a huge attack of candida and Im on a mega dose of Diflacan, so this makes sense to me. Thanks will try it out...gonna go get some Organic whole fat plain Nancys Yogurt. Thank You
I've had terrible sulfur burps with vomiting and bloating three or four times in the past couple of months, but I'm learning how to control it. I felt it come on  around 5 this morning, although I hadn't been able to sleep well all night and I'm sure that was the start. I noticed the sulfur burps when I got up, and had a lot of gas built up in my stomach. I did a salt water flush (drink 1 quart of warm water with 2 teaspoons non-iodized salt). This doesn't feel great when you do it, as it is flushing straight through your body, but it washes out your intestinal tract. The sulfur burps stopped! I still felt extremely bloated and terrible, but the burps are normally the worst part for me (disgusting), so I was happy to be rid of them! I also didn't eat until about 6 tonight, when my stomach had felt better for a few hours. Last time, I ate throughout the day and threw it all up. I believe that this condition might be caused by temporary gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach). I noticed that even though I drank about 44 ounces of liquid before 9, I didn't have to urinate until about 3 in the afternoon, which is definitely not normal for me. The liquid also made me feel full all day; I could feel it sloshing around in my stomach. Previously, whenever I would throw up during one of these incidents, the food would be completely undigested hours later.
Last year, I had a problem with burping a LOT, no rotten smell to it at this point. After about a day of it, I smoked some weed and it was gone the next day so I didn't think much of it.

This year, about a week ago it started - the sulfury smell/taste. It's so awful! Plus had the most horrible diarrhea as well.. Then yesterday, the burps start coming every 30 seconds or so. Not always a "burp" per say, sometimes just air coming up.. If that makes sense, it's hard to describe. And the horrible, horrible taste/smell. Eggy, sulfury, just awful..

So I've been wondering what to do about this for about 8 days now, and last night it hit me - maybe if I smoke some weed, it will help - because it helped that one time last year.. So I went ahead and smoked out last night and now this morning, I am a million times better. The bloating is gone! Just gone! it's amazing. There is still a hint of the sulfury taste, but I think it's in my head - it's no where NEAR as intense. No urge to burp, no stomach ache.. Even after a light breakfast. Idk if this has taken the problem away or just alleviated it a bit, or if maybe it's just a new morning and I'm better now. But in any case it can't hurt to try if you can get a prescription or something. At the very least it made me be able to rest last night and made me not notice the sulfur taste which was a great relief.

The first time this happened last year, I had smoke a decent Sativa. This year, a very good indica. I would say the indica is the best help because of how much it just relaxed my whole body.

Anyways hope this helps and my utmost sympathy to all of us suffering from this condition, it really is torturous imo.. I hope someone can find a definite answer.
I get them sometimes. Not very much now that I am older. They always happen to me when I eat too much and my tummy gets upset. It's pretty much telling you that your tummy is upset don't put anything in it. Just take some pepto and sprite. That works :)
I have been suffering from this since I was seven. (I am now 24.) something that always helps me is to take a dose of LIQUID pepto bismol! :) not the tablets though.... those and tums or rolaids seem to make it worse! hope it helps you!!!
Metronidazol works for me too, and I take it in the exact same way as you do. Good to know that Im not the only one.
We have found an end to this horrible non permanent disorder.
The cycle we put ourselves through eat food, bloat, sickness and eggy burps then take meds.

We, my wife and I suffered from this since 2008 after getting food poisioning in the Netherlands and after more than 15 visits to the doctors for tests for IBS, Ulcers and other such diseases and ailments.

We took action and this is what we did...

1. Visited a nutritional expert to be tested for food intolerances.
2. Answered lots of embarrassing questions.
3. Listened and was surprised at the results.
4. Put into action what we had learnt.
5. Slowly saw change over a period of six months.

We have been symptom free for twelve months.

My wife was tested for 150 foods and 30 vitamins and minerals. My wifes results were intolerance to the following foods. Potato, yeast, pork, batter, gluten, diary, wheat, onion, cod, cordial especially blackcurrant and ribina peaches and lager and beet root.

I was tested intolerant to yeast, pork, wheat, sardines, steak, cheese, tea, lentils, oranges and orange juice, apricot, and pistachio nuts. I was also lacking as my wife was in good gut flora and a number of vitamins and minerals.

We have cut out the foods that we have intolerances to and have noted early on that pork and chicken bring back the dreaded eggy burps. After consulting with the nutritionist once more we found out that two much protein in the diet causes the same thing. We was advised to have only 20-30% protein whilst eating each meal the rest should be made up of veg etc etc.

We also take a number of supplements daily

1.manuka honey one tablespoon each morning.
2. Omega 3 oils.(I take this)
3. Optibac (wife takes this)

Please note this will not be a resolve for everyone however if one person reads this and makes the change and has success. Please share it.
I used to be so ill with this until I read about someone using Pepto Bismol, the next 3 times i had the burps i took pepto bismol immediately which prevented it going into vomiting and diahorrea, and then it stopped completely.  But I still keep a bottle in the fridge in case it ever comes back.
i did the same thing just to try and it always worked however i have never had the vomiting that others have had just the annoying burps  
Some really good info on this here...
http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/sulfur-and-egg-smelling-burps-causes-and-home-remedies.html
Hi everyone!
One day i was at my grandmothers house. I ate crisps, a hamburger and fries.  
The day after i woke up and got these strange really disgusting burps. I have tried everything but it just won't go away. I do not vomit or get diarrhea when i got these burps, i only burp. When burping, people around me moves away from me. It is really awkward. I have suffered from this two times before this one (The moment i am writing this i am having these burps).
That was all from me!
(Sorry for my bad english, I live in sweden that is why my english is mediocre. Also i'm only thirteen years old).
Last week I had one of these episodes but I ate pizza and then the Burps started and then the Vomiting, but I vomited up the Pizza that was all broken down and so very very thick that I could barely get it up and out.  (I am deathly afraid of vomiting because 12 years ago I ended up Aspirating). I don't know if that would be considered being digested enough to pass or not but I also was strapped with Diarrhea!  So it seems things were going or coming out both ends very well.
I have had this problem a few times over the past year or so. I usually take a large dose (5 or 6 big pills) of activated charcoal (get it at a natural food store or health store like GNC) as soon as the burps start, and it seems to get things back in order fairly quickly.

I have read posts from others about antacids sometimes working slowly and anti-histamines sometimes working, and I have a theory of what is happening and why charcoal works. I think what is happening is that some contaminant (possibly different contaminants in different individuals) is producing an auto-immune response in the stomach causing the pyloric valve to stay closed, trapping all the food in your stomach. The trapped food rots, becomes noxious, and produces toxins that eventually cause vomiting. In the normal course of the condition one would have to vomit until the original contaminants are removed so that the pyloric valve begins to function again. The charcoal works by acting as a filter in the stomach, absorbing both the toxins and the contaminants, thus allowing the pyloric valve to resume normal functions without the need to vomit. As soon as the valve begins functioning again the noxious burps end because the source has left the stomach. The diarrhea will still come because by the time the burps begin to smell the contents of the stomach are of no use to the rest of the GI tract and are passed through too quickly for the water to be reabsorbed in the colon. However, if you catch and treat the stomach problem early the intensity and duration of the diarrhea can also be reduced.

CAUTION: Activated charcoal should be used only as a remedy, not as a regimen. Prolonged use may cause malnutrition due to its absorbency robbing the body of nutrients from your food.

I am posting this here because I am curious as to whether this will work across the board or if it is just coincidental that it seems to work for me. If it only works for me than my theory is probably incorrect. Please post a reply if you try this and let me know if it works for you.
I cannot believe there are so many others who suffer with this as well. When I was pregnant with my last child 14 years ago this was a major problem for me. I went through the same battery of test as the rest of you with no results. The doctors seemed to just write it off and gave me no way of dealing with it. It always started with the foul eggy burps, then bloating and just feeling like my belly would explode. Then nasty vomiting and diarrhea. I always hated throwing up, but at least it eventually bought me some relief. I threw up so much with my last round of this during my pregnancy that they actually thought all the vomiting started my labor. Now after nearly 12 years with no issues, it appears this has returned and is trying to make up for lost time. It has been comforting knowing I am not going through this alone. When the doctor's cant help it is scary. Thanks to everyone for sharing. It has helped me feel better. At least mentally~
Like so many others on this page for the last, what, six years, I too am astounded to see how many suffer from this condition, and claim to have suffered from it since childhood.  
What I find so interesting here is a common theme among age groups.  Many of the people who suffer from this are 20-40ish, have had recurring issues since childhood, and, the most interesting part is that there is not one clear diagnosis for most - which means that the condition, if we all are suffering from the same thing, is relatively new to the medical world.
My symptoms are still the same eggy / sulphuric burps, abdominal swelling, and gas.  I used to get sick with this all of the time as a child, and it would lead to all the typical stomach flu symptoms.  It seemed to happen most often around the Easter holiday (happy memories, let me tell you, I still can't look at pretty pastel colors without wanting to gag).  I already thought about eggs, but I eat them every day and can have deviled eggs without a problem.  Since the burps are so gross, I did consider onions as a possibility, but since I got the burps today and had little to no onions yesterday, I'm going to rule that one out.  
So, since this has been a recurring thing for me, that pretty much rules out parasites, and I am going to fall into the "food you can't digest" camp, because I definitely don't have a blockage (had a BM today).  But I will go one further than that.  Due to the fact that this has been happening in the last twenty years, I feel that genetic engineering might play a huge role here.  
Genetic engineering has been ongoing since the 1970s, roughly, and genetically modified crops have been in our food system since at least the 90s.  Has anyone else noticed that all of a sudden, everyone seems to have a gluten allergy?  
Gluten, the outer casing of grains, has been in our agriculture since the dawn of human crop cultivation.  Hell, it is what got us through the last ice age (just watch "Guns, Germs and Steel").  For a huge percentile of the human population to have a gluten allergy in the last 10 years seems somewhat auspicious, don't you think?
In brief, here is the low-down on gluten and GMOs:
Gluten is the outer casing on grains - bran.  Brown rice, wheat, etc.  Bran is supposed to be healthy, right?  Full of fiber and whatnot, right?  Well, genetic engineering has changed the make-up of these grains.  And most recently, chemical companies best left nameless have modified grains to be resistant to pesticides and herbicides.  This means that farmers can spray their Roundup on their crops, and while the Roundup will kill the weeds, it won't kill the crops.  The Roundup will hit the outer casing of the grain, the bran, and be absorbed into the crop without killing it.  People, we are eating Roundup.  How could our bodies possibly not react to ingesting poison that is meant to kill plants?  I don't believe that the massive use of Roundup Ready crops and the sudden development of gluten allergies are a coincidence.  They can't be.
What makes me bring this up is the fact that today was my first "eggy burps" since I was a kid.  Throughout most of my twenty to thirty something adulthood, I have worked immensely hard to go organic (no chemicals, no genetic engineering) as much as humanly possible.  But since yesterday, I have been on vacation and had limited access to organic foods, and consumed quite a bit of "conventional" based floured goods like donuts and pasta.  That was the only change in my diet.  
Hopefully my diet was varied enough so that I don't get the full on flu like symptoms that evacuate the digestive track at both ends.  
So those of you who get the frequent "eggy burps", analyzing your diet definitely seems like the way to go.  And if you don't want to go gluten free (I really can't blame you, I love pastries and breads, too) then try organic instead.  Meats, too, because the animals we eat were the first ones fed the genetically modified grains (and they suffer from chronic illnesses now, too).  
Not to be on a soap box, or anything, but I have done a lot of research on the subject, especially after having various medical conditions including cancer happen in my family, and after my doctors haven't been able to help me at all throughout my whole life (tested for IBS and ulcers as a child), I've decided to take knowledge and prevention into my own hands.
My brother died of colon cancer in his early fifties.  He ate nothing but fast food and Diet Coke for the majority of his adult life.  I hadn't seen him in a year or two, and when I did, he had this huge pregnant looking belly.  He wasn't obese, it was just his gut.  Not long after that, he got his fourth stage cancer diagnosis, and he passed away in around a year, less than a year after our dad died.  He didn't smoke or drink, all he ate was junk.  
It kind of makes you think.  We really are what we eat.  
But you could even eat a bunch of fruit and vegetables and think you're eating healthy, but grapes and peaches have the highest counts of pesticides absorbed in their skins above any other fruit - pesticides which often lead to thyroid conditions and various childhood diseases.  
Everyone in my family has a thyroid condition.  
Except me.  Knock on wood.
Organic is the only way.  Sure, it's expensive, but blame the government for that - they charge the certification fees, but subsidize the GMO farmers.  Just look at who is in charge of the FDA, for crying out loud.  
And what's more expensive, buying organic produce, or radiation and chemo treatments?

Good luck and best wishes to you all.
-KM  
Hi all, fellow sufferer here.

I have just joined this forum to say that the white with water trick really worked for me,the instruction is to take it just as you get your first burp but I took it well into an attack and it helped no end.

Cheers BJMsmom!
Sorry,meant to say white vinegar with water,it's not very nice but I've had worse wines.
I have just gotten over the worst episode of this I have ever had!

I am now certain I know what is causing it for me, batter.
Pancake day last Tuesday I went mad on them and by weds night I was ill,went through the motions of it all and by fri night i'm feeling better and starving,so I had Chinese food which involved a fair bit of batter,by sat night i'm ill again.
The first time I had this problem was after a Chinese meal,i'm sure it's batter that;s my problem,might be the end of takeaway food for me.

I have been drinking pro biotic drinks and they seem to have helped a lot and I;m feeling the best I have for months, I took the advice of a poster on here that said to drink as many as it takes, TRY IT.
Sorry to keep posting like this but I know that one day someone else will google "smelly burps" and this thread will come up.

Well it's been nearly a 5 days and I really think I;ve cracked it,for those that have tried cutting out batter before make sure your definitely cutting it out because I now think I had  previous attacks due to oven chjps coated in a kind of batter,for those that haven't tried it,do. It could be something to do with thee rawness of the batter,I don't remember getting ill after onion bhaji which is always well done batter as with fish and chips.

Whilst I have been taking plant enzymes as well as drinking pro biotic I remain convinced it was batter for me.
I have had this problem for a while and assumed it was something in my diet that made it happen. I get the sulfur burps and pain but not diarrhoea, and not usually vomiting. I saw a comment here that made me realise a possible cause, malic acid. It was lucky as I am 16 and live in England, where some American sweets are quite rare, one example being jolly ranchers, which i found in a shop recently and ate during the day before an occurrence of the burps and contain malic acid. I thought it was something else until I saw that post.  I will try cutting it out of my diet but it may just be a coincidence or a different reason.    
drink ginger tea , with smashed up ginger and hot water , pine nut oil is good to , I had them problems for a while and that takes it away pretty much do them both everyday and ull feel a lot better , peppermint oil  to helps not the kind with achole thoe just the pure peppermint oil cople drops in water . good luck that **** ***** I had I under control haven't had a rotten egg burp in 6 months or so and got it out of know were 2day I drank ginger tea when it started and it made it not bad but it stuck with me all day it finally went away when I got home from work  and now iam drinking more tea
its not just one thing that dose it , if a certin food dose it to u there will be others , try getting  ginger in u everyday and Siberian pine nut oil ,
I want to try the pro biots drink
I started a probiotic multi enzyme  with active acidophilus cultures last night and already feel the difference I have a feeling this will cure me all toughter if it dosent its got to be my gallbladder  
its not just one food that's going to give you rotten egg burps its probably the bad microbes in your digestive track inter acting with your food and releasing gas, when you drink the probiotic its puts the good microbes in u and they break down the food before the bad microbes can get to it .
that's correct spread the news people need to know this it could save them a lot  of money going to doctors who lie to you about it so they can make more money off use they act like they don't know but they do . it took me years to figure this out
the doctors don't do **** for it any way they are no help and make it worse with the wrong meds
iam on my 3rd day of probiotics and really notice a difference it had to be bad microbes in my stomach and digestive track  cause if these didn't work it would ment that my gallbladder was clogged , but they are so iam pretty sure I got it figured out!!!!!!!!! thank god I suffered threw this for 6 years or so and between work kids I don't have time to be bloated with sharp pain and have rotten egg burps hart burn on any given day , TRY probiotics IF U HAVE ROTTEN EGG BURPS OR ANY STOMACH DISCOMFORT ITS SO CHEEP AND IT WORKS BELIVE ME I HAD THIS THE WORSE IT WAS  HORRIBLE IAM SO HAPPY
hi amyan, i am looking to help my 8 year old granddaughter. same as you, not really sick alot, just the burps, that she is so embaraced around anyone that may smell them. if you get this and have any other finding, please send me your updates.
its not h piolry i was tested that is not it!!!
i have had these bad surfer egg burps also... i have been tested for H pillory, that's not it... i am thinking its an ulcer... either way its a bad feeling i wished it were not happening to me!!
really interesting... i think that could be a possibility
IT ISNT H PIOLRY!!!!
I am starting to think my symptoms (which are the same as every person has described, with the exception of a slight to severe migraine heaache before hand could be Abdominal migraines. In addition to the furps, the gas, nausea I also feel pulsating in my stomach, strong pulsating. I have the Vurps (rotten egg burps/vomit burps) right now and I took some hydrocodone to help with the pain I am having. The only reason I thought to take the hydro is because the last time I was in the er, I was having a severe bout (last freaken week) and I got morphine IV and immediately felt better. I took the liquid hydro and I feel slighty better. The nausea has calmed down slightly and puke that was in my throat settled back down. I had some mac and cheese yesterday, and a ho ho (chocolate I think is the trigger). I have hd the vurps for over 35 years, but over the last 4 years they have gotten nearly weekly. I hate taking narcotics cause I am a recovering addict, but I am in no way abusing them, and I am so scared of puking (I have a severe puking phobia) I pray this works, if it does I wil be paying my MD a visit tomorrow to get something for abdominal migraines I can take long term so I dont have to use the hydrocodone. The liquid itself nearly made me puke. I will be honest I dont think our doctors are looking hard enough. Pretty sad that we are able to figure it out before our doctors are..  I will update tomorrow to let you know if the hydro worked and cut time off the duration of these vurps. Also I see something common amung a few of us, reeses. I get the vurps after reeses as well. My friend has a peanut allergy that gives her the vurps as well...
Also I found if I ate deep fried foods I would get sick with the Vurps as well. I am allergic to soy, red meat, pork, and am lactose intolerant. I also have sensativities to gluten, high frutose corn syrup, and chocolate. That pretty much leaves me with nothing I can eat. So what I do is eat the stuff that makes me the least sick... I began to get sick again (for the 5th time in a week) yesterday and I drank sodium bicarb, using baking sode and water and it settled my stomach down. I bought some aloe vera juice (they carry it at Wal-Mart) and it settled even more... My 13 yo son has what he calls the "Cherrio Burps/ or as I call them the churps. Cherrios leave me with the eggy after taste. I am convinced its H Pylori, and he will be tested next week. If he has it then I know I have it. It would be so nice to find a freaken cure. I have such a fear of puking (emetophobia) this is a horrible disease for someone who has it, plus has emetophobia..
UGH NOOOOO I had my gallbladder removed 2yrs ago and all my symptoms stopped! Until last week now I'm going on my 3rd time in less than 2 weeks :( So upset! I also get a lot of excess saliva, does anyone else get that  with the other symptoms?