Gastroenterology Community
rotten egg / sulfuric burps!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

rotten egg / sulfuric burps!

This discussion is related to Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps.

hello.  Ocationally I have rotten egg burps.  Especially a lot in the past couple of days!... at first I thought I might have a gluten allergy, but i can eat products with gluten in them, like bread, but ramen (oodles of noodles) and regular pasta I have problems with.  Then I thought it was meat but a garlicy hamburger (which was my testing meat product) resulted in my feeling better. So I started to think maybe garlic or onions were the factor that would prevent my tummy from rebelling and so far that has worked. The symptoms are basically evil burps and tummy pain, no diahrehha ever has come with it yet.  There were some articles that said it might be because of water that has been contaminated, where other sites support my gluten allergy theory.  I have no idea what the problem might be, but I have saw that there were thousands of people who had very similar problems and after a complete GI series nothing, CT scans nothing, numerous blood tests and nothing! this seems to be a mystery problem.  I myself have had elevated liver functions in a blood tests but everythign else I've been tested for has come back normal. any thoughts?
Sulphur tasting burps can come from a couple of different things, one of which you mentioned - possible problems with a gallbladder. It can also come from being infected with the H. pylori bacterium, and they can also result from problems that are happening in the esophagus.

If you have elevated liver enzymes, what does your doc plan on doing to try to find out what's going on?
Garlic is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Perhaps you have an infection. H. pylori or some other bacteria, Candida or some other fungus or perhaps something else entirely.

You might need a second opinion and if that doesn't help, another opinion from an alternative practitioner who believes that Candida problems exist (which they do).

Good luck.
I have been suffering from the eggy burps ever since i was a very small child but as the years have gone on they have became more and more frequent resulting about 90% of the time in violent vomiting. For ages I have been researching it online only to discover there are many people suffering all with their own theories and many people having gone to the doctors with no results as to what is causing it. My doctor has came to the conclusion that its migraines, but without the headache, Or stomach migraines as some people refer to them as, I have since researched stomach migraines and found every symptom fits perfectly. Unfortunately they can't be cured but he has prescribed me with stematil, an anti-sickness tablet that works wonders every time. Once the burps start if I take a tablet they tend to stop between 30 mins and an hour later, before the vomiting starts. I just have to make sure I always have them on me. :)

Hope this helps
Hayley
I have been having these rotten egg burps in the past year or so. They don't occur frequently but when they do happen i have severe bloating and nausea until whatever is in my stomach has been completely emptied out. My doctor tested me for Giardia and parasites and it came back negative, and I had an ultrasound done as she suspected it was my gallbladder, but the results showed no stones present. I'm frustrated because now daily I find myself bloated and extremely tired and my ribcage is extremely sensitive to touch on the right side. Now just this week i have had bloody stools, and I wonder if somehow it is all related or a completely seperate issue? If anyone has any ideas please let me know that would be fantastic.
I've got that same problem!
I used to think it was only related to food that I ate, and would keep a food journal.  Well, while I think food can still play a role, I'm pretty sure stress also contributes.
I've been to doctors for it, but they've never been any help.  Neither has any sort of antacid or abdominal pain medicine.  I usually just have to 'wait it out'
But waiting it out has become worse, so, I've been doing things to try and stop it.
I've found the only way to get rid of it is to vomit as soon as I feel that sulfur feeling in my stomach.  This will either alleviate it completely, or at least make the episode less painful.
I've tried cutting gluten out of my life, that didn't really work.
I don't think it's a parasite, because it's been years, and from what I understand of those articles the parasite wouldn't last that long.
Have you read any of Jody's posts on the old forum?  I was just going over them and was wondering about what she said about soda and low iron.  I was diagnosed with anemia around the same time that I started getting these sulfur burps.  I had a hard time absorbing iron, it took years and two transfusions to get me back to normal levels.  I think because of my soda intake.  Since iron is important for helping your body handle stress, I think I am going to cut soda out of my life and see if that helps me.  Maybe it will b/c of a placebo effect.  Anything to make this horrible feeling go away!
I'll let you know if it does help, I'm sure there is more to it, but anything to help.
I, along with several co-workers had many, if not all of the symptoms that have been discussed in this forum. It turned out to be either Giardia or some sort of amoebas. The most common symptoms were sulfur burps and watery and yellow stool. We were all working in a refugee camp in Africa so this kind of illness was not uncommon for visitors from the west. The doctors there recognized it for what it was and treated us immediately. We all recovered within a week.

Giardia does exist in the US but it isn't common enough for doctors to consider it immediately. Tests for Giardia can come back false positive. We weren't tested, but we all took the same drug and got better. It might be worth investigating treatment for Giardia before looking into more serious conditions.  
Ive had all those same symptoms! Actually ive had them about 8 yrs. Finally found a gastro doc who took me seriously and had an endoscopy and had evidence of celiac sprue..a gluten-intolerance! I removed ALL gluten from my diet..wheat , barley, oats (it is in everything)...within a few weeks i felt so much better. And now, a year later, my liver enzymes are all back to normal..my iron levels are normal. I think it was the gluten all along. Most people with gluten sensitivities dont handle dairy well either. Oh, and my blood tests for celiac were negative but the biopsy WAS positive and that is the definitive test. Even if u dont want the endoscopy..just remove gluten out of your diet completely for several weeks and see how u feel. It takes a while to heal your gut. Certainly cant hurt!
i had eggy burps and I'd be devastated to know that the next 24 hours I'd be in the bathroom with severe vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up in the emergency room for dehydration once. I suffered for 2 years :(
Had all the tests and an endo- with no results.

I couldn't pinpoint any certain food or foodgroup. The sickness would usually happen within 24 hours of eating at a restaurant- salads, Mexican, anything.
Finally, read online that cilantro can cause problems with digestion. I tried cutting it. Careful to check if ANYTHING has cilantro when I order at a restaurant (or corriander, the powder from the cilantro plant seed). I've been totally well for a year now. I always said if I found out what it is, I'd tell everyone on these forums...because I sat on these forums so frustrated, hopeless and sick in the past.
Its very possible you are intolerant of a certain herb or food. your body will reject it until its completely out of your system. Be careful what you eat. (btw, Chipotle has cilantro in their rice). Hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!
ps. I've also cut most sodas. trying to stay away from caffeine. Good Luck. I pray you find out what it is soon. Only we understand how horrible this condition is. I don't think Dr.'s understand...
I just found this forum because I was searching for this problem.  I had it when I was about 15...about 20 years ago.  Turns out, my sulphur burps were caused by an intestinal blockage, like others have mentioned.  I didn't have a bowel movement for quite some time when this happened.

My mom took me to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotics.  They didn't really help though...eventually, I threw up enough that I think I finally dislodged and expelled whatever was stuck in my intestine and I've been fine ever since...well, save for the Habba Syndrome now.  Not sure what to do about that...not even sure it's related.  Probably not.

Anyway, so if you have the nasty, foul suphur burps, see your doc about intestinal obstruction.
I've been living with these burps all my life.  I don't recall exactly when they started, but I know I was in elementary.  I remember standing in the corner of the class hoping no one would smell me.  I've never experienced nausea or vomiting, just burping and gas and the natural discomfort and embarrassment that accompanies it.  Neither have I ever experience itching or rash associated with allergy.  Regardless, I've had it off and on all my life, not experiencing it for years and then recently more frequently.

I've always had stomach problems and was apparently constantly complaining of them as a child.  My mother always suspected a food allergy, particularly dairy.  She was always trying to suggest this to doctors who I believe would basically tell her to ignore my symptoms.  When you're a child doctors don't take, "My tummy hurts," very seriously!

Most recently I've noticed that I get egg burps immediately after eating eggs.  I also have heartburn whenever I eat goat cheese and I believe I have a sensitivity to dairy.  Yesterday was Easter - hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs - burps, pain.  

My burps got worse all through the day.  As the day progressed the burps tasted less like their source (deviled eggs with onion - bad enough) and became decidedly more foul.  By the time I was desperately ready to sleep it was all but lost to me.  I started to experience extreme burning in my neck and shoulders, extending down my arms.  It was impossible to sleep.  About 5 this morning I got online, looking up egg allergies, lactose intolerance, etc.  I took some Pepto and a pain reliever that have helped a lot, 'bout ready to go back to sleep.

For me I think my symptoms are definitely related to food, as I'm sure they are for many people, although the problem food may vary.  I can see how stress would contribute.  I'm only 23 and I'm concerned that whatever the cause these gastrointestinal problems could cause ulcers, etc. down the road.

- tired Amy
I've suffered from stinky burps for years, usually every 6 months.  I finally found a solution, hope it helps someone else out there.  The problem is too much bad bacteria in your stomach and intestines, and not enough good bacteria.  Eating sugars just feeds it and make it worse.  Now I can make it go away within 2 hours. I take several Standard Process brand Gastrex, and Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules, and it goes away.  I also eat yogurt.  If I'm hungry I'll eat chicken soup.
I only seem to get eggy burps if I eat too much too late at night and I believe, that for me, it is simply due to my stomach not being able to digest the amount of food that I've eaten that late at night, thus the food is merely 'sitting' in my stomach and obviously with this there will be gasses, resulting in eggy burps  - although I dont get stomach cramps or vomiting, I may have soft stools when I eventually go to the toilet the next day. However, I have done some reading up on the symptoms and many of you seem to have them far worse than me, thus it seems to make perfect sense that many of you may be suffering from 'Giardia lamblia' (you can find useful information on this if you go to Wikipedia as Im sure you will find much helpful information if you google it) - Giardia lamblia seems to be the perfect solution especially where its re-occuring so take a look at the environment you work in, especially where you work with children were it could result from poor hygiene habits, or maybe its your water system??  Who knows. Either way, from reading this forum I hadnt noticed anyone else mention this possible cause, thus I thought I would and I hope that it may be of use to someone. Good luck xx
Wow,  I am suffering now for 3 - 4 days and just decided to try to google my problems.  I have these awful egg burps, I have nausea but don't dare throw up until it has to come out.  I hate throwing up!  It first started with just hiatal hernia discomfort that I thought came from too many situps and then diarrhea,  then bloating and then severe gas pains into my back.  These few days have sucked and I still have 3 kids and a house to take care of.  No calling out sick for me!  Anyway,  I kind of hope this goes away in the next day or so.  I took Gas-x and that worked - slowly though.  I took pepto, helped the burps a little and i took imodium (immodium) and that eventually stopped the runs.  I just don't feel like going for another endoscopy.  

I just say 'whatever' to this stomach ****!!!
This is the first time I thought to google the "rotten-egg" problem.  I'm surprised to find I'm not the only person who has it.  Many of the people who've posted about this have some kind of GERD, as I do also.  I have delayed stomach emptying and take Prevacid.  I had these rotten-egg burps on several occasions over the last few years.  They lasted a couple of days and were accompanied by diarrhea.  I would avoid any foods that could worsen the diarrhea and the problem would clear up.  I assumed it was some viral process.  However I have now had the burping on a daily basis for a couple of months.  I notice there's also a lot of gas but no diarrhea.  I'm not sure what to do now. I thought it could be lactose intolerance, but a lot of the other posts on this topic don't seem to support that.  I haven't noticed any special connection to certain foods. Any suggestions?.
Huh, a community of people with the same crappy symptoms...  I'm sorry to see you all here too.  I'm experiencing the "eggy burps," some cramping and severe diarrhea right now.  

Last October was the first time I can remember ever really dealing with this.  I think I had them every now and then as a kid.  I called them sulfuric burps then.  It was my wife who I thought coined the "eggy burp" description.  She had them not too long ago while pregnant with our son.  Zantac 75 worked wonders for her.  Lucky duck.  Anyway, I was up all night, cramping and extremely bloated while constantly dropping eggy burps.  I was so uncomfortable.  The pain was excruciating, probably the worst stomach cramping I've ever experienced.  I couldn't lie down, stand or walk around for too long at a time.  When I did sleep, it was while on the toilet.  I thought for sure that I had a really bad stomach bug.  I contemplated vomiting to relieve the bloating and nausea, which was pretty much from the burps.  They helped me make that decision pretty quickly.  But that turned out to be a huge mistake.  I couldn't stop vomiting after that.  So I went to the emergency room.  They gave me IV fluids for three hours along with something for the cramps and nausea.  I wish I knew what they were.  I need to look into it.  So I woke up on the hospital bed feeling like a million bucks.  Again, I thought I had a bug that had passed.  

I believe this is the third bout for me.  Last Sunday was the second time.  I had all the symptoms, except for vomiting, for about a day.  Others around me had been sick with a stomach bug, including my daughter.  So again I chalked it up to that.  But I couldn't figure out why I had the eggy burps again.  I thought they had something to do with worrying about getting my kids sick with a new bug from the people at work.  And man, I hate watching my kids get sick.  The night before I got sick, my daughter vomited six times throughout the night.  It literally made me want to cry.  My daughter just turned two and my son is roughly four months old BTW.    

Well, it started again late last night.  Earlier I had eaten some pretty spicy pizza and later I had some chinese food.  In hindsight, I should've eaten at home.  LOL.  It's a heck of a lot healthier to do so, but I was on the run.  So today I took it easy and for the most part, felt fine later in the day.  But then I had to deal with a pretty stressful situation and in a hurry, had some of that leftover pizza.  Shortly thereafter, the eggy burps started again and eventually the diarrhea hit me big time.  I took some Kaopectate and later some homeopathic gas relief tablets, figuring they'd work like last week.  But I now think that was a coincidence as they haven't seemed to work too well for me today.  

Apparently this is no bug.  Well my pharmacist thinks it's H. pylori or a reaction to my metformin tablets.  I'm a Type II diabetic at age 34.  Stupid me.  I used to go all day without eating, surviving on a snack here and there and drinking 2-3 liters of soda daily.  Then I'd eat late at night before sleeping.  The constant overload of sugar took it's toll on my system and now I've got to deal.  It's my own fault.

I too think this "condition" is stress related.  But I don't know how to thwart it from happening.  My wife thinks it's an ulcer.  As a kid, my doctor told my mother that I had a bleeding ulcer.  But I don't remember them ever running any tests on me.  I was simply given Maalox and told to "relax kid."  Anyway, I'm getting all sorts of advice from friends and family.  A couple are in the medical field and my father in-law is a doctor... well an animal doctor. ;o)  I think I'm going to try eating some yogurt before going to bed.  I took a Prilosec tablet for the first time earlier tonight.  But it's too early to count that out.  I'm really at my wits end with this.  Everyone seems to think I should try eating yogurt on a daily basis and start a week long regimen of Prilosec and anti-biotics to see if it's H. pylori.  Any other suggestions?

Regards,

PTC  

Wow, I didn't think that there would be this many people with the same problems. I've also been having the nasty egg burps as well as cramping and diarrhea. Also from what I've seen, no one knows how to get rid of them. But after reading all the comments it seems that the episodes only last for a few days while mine have been going on for a couple weeks with no relief. My symptoms don't seem to be as bad as everyone else's but I'm getting a little worried that mine are lasting so long... Is this serious? Should I go see a doctor?

- Rachael
I joined this same club years ago. I have always found PEPTO, yes, the pink stuff to work well. Avoid eating, drink water and stay away from sugar which promotes it more. Any food actually increases the problem unless you take pepto first.
With all of you here for the same reason I don't understand why we can't find the answer. I mentioned to my internist last Thursday (as she is a new doc for me) about this and when I said one burp could clear a room...all she did was laugh. She told me it wasn't a gastral issue...........excuse me.........I believe we must hit a certain dollar amount to get the correct answer.
I hope some day for all our sakes we find a cure!

Jan
I have a history of foul smelling "egg burps", a physical condition directly related to a singular activity, (the cause & effect relationship is impossible to ignore).  If I were to live the next 20 years without engaging in this particular activity, I am quite certain that I would suffer not one "egg burp" and conversely, should I engage this particular activity 20 times over the next 20 years, I am certain that the "egg burps" would result, without fail, 100% of the time, for each of the 20 times.  There is nothing random or mysterious about the etiology of my ailment.  For me, the problem is not in finding ways to avoid the "egg burps" (I know how to do that), it is in finding ways to overcome them, allow me to explain:
Each time I attempt to withdraw from methamphetamine use, I undergo some fairly typical symptoms; Fatigue/exhaustion, depression, constipation, headache and erectile dysfunction.  The one symptom that is not so typical is the sulfuric smelling "egg burps".  Were it not for this particular symptom, I might be able to get this monkey off my back but I find it almost impossible to function in any capacity once the "egg burps" arrive.  The condition usually occurs a day or two after the debilitating onset of the more obvious symptoms:  Exhaustion, Depression etc.  The condition can be cured, usually within 12 hours, by the ingestion of methamphetamine and so the vicious cycle.  I need help.  Thank you
M.
Listen, I don't want to scare anyone, but Please make sure any of you w/ these sulpher burps and bloating have yourselves checked out THOROUGHLY by your dr. Don't take any complacent attitudes w/ this- you deserve a full and detailed explanation for what you are going through. If your dr can't provide you w/ a solid diagnosis, or doesn't seem to take your concerns seriously, find another Dr... It's your life, literally, that this could save. We found this out the hard way. You have to be your own best advocate. My husband suffered these same symptoms from 13- 45 yrs of age- never could figure out the cause of his episodes, and last year was diagnosed w/ abdominal cancer (appendix being the origin). His blood tests and ct scans were always clean, but when I had to bring him into the ER,during one of his "sulpher burping" episodes that was also accompanied by very severe pain, they opened him up and found he was full of cancer. He had been describing his symptoms- bloating , pain and sulpher burps to his Drs for YEARS- they always said he just had indigestion, maybe he was developing IBS...Wrong!!  This will not be the case for everyone, I'm sure, but please don't discount the possibility that something serious could be developing. Hope this saves someone else some grief.    Julie
i just googled this cause i've been having these egg burps which i now know are called sulfur burps for a few years now on and off. by on and off i mean maybe once every 1-2 months for a few days. Over the past 4 years, every 2 years i've landed in the hospital, for extreme abdominal cramps, uncontrolable vomiting like every 30 min, the runs, cold sweats.

the first time i was in the hospital for 4 weeks and they tested me for what seemed like everything, and put me on pain meds which STILL didn't take away the stomach cramps nor stop the throwing up. once i stopped vomitting and started having normal bowel movements they discharged me for "extreme abdominal cramps" and put me on bentyl. which did help a little. I was only 24 at the time.

so 2 years later at age 26 the extreme abdominal cramps started again (while still having sulfur burps every few months for several days at a time), out of the blue, only this time i started vomitting so much i wasn't having ANY bowel movements. i was vomitting for 7 days and no BM and my doctor thought i just had a stomach virus. it got so bad i called 911 for an ambulance for me cause i could barely walk after not eatting for a week and on the clock 30 min throwing up. after that stint in the hospital i was there for 7 1/2 weeks. Actually they DISCHARGED ME after a week STILL IN PAIN and having all the same symptons. not even 24 hours later i was back in an ambulance cause i almost past out. i was checked back in for 6 1/2 more weeks and again test after test. but i NEVER had them mention this Giardia i keep hearing about on multiple sites i've searched.

now it's only been 1 year since that last hospital stay. i was finally released that time with still abdominal cramps but they weren't as bad as they were before, and my BM's were normal cause they had me on medication for that and other things. so basicaly they had no answers and i had a trematic almost 2 months in a hospital and 1 week before i went in.

I'm very scared that now every 2 years i'm going to go through this, almost likethis parasite, if that is what it is, is on a clock or that jsut happens to be when it decides to act up. because of lack of insurance i haven't been seeing any doctors since i left the hospital. i finally got approved for medicaid in nj (cause of my daughter primarily) and after reading what this COULD be i'm definately going to be making an appt with my primary and hopefully he takes me serious and does the proper testing or referrals.

thanks for all the information people have given, it's been very helpful. i've told my story only because maybe someone else can relate to it. to doctors basically thinking you're faking it, that's the attitude i got at the hospital, especially the 2nd time around. i had a past with opiate addiction and was on a suboxone detox program for over a year. so i think they thought i just wanted pain meds, i didn't want any pain meds at first but it was so terrible i broke down. after the 2nd time i left in pain still and stayed on pain meds for a few months and went right back into suboxone detox.

i've been completely sober for 1 full year,i had 1 relapse after i went into suboxone detox after the 2nd hospital stint. and i'm 1 month away from being off the suboxone. YAY!!  so anyway i actually went to a 2nd hospital to get a second opinion but they just got the records from the first hospital and treated me the same way. so i went home and lived in pain for months.

this is obviously a common sympton of several different things, and could be alot of things. but maybe if you have a past of any gastro issues, or acid reflux/GERD, or really any stomach/abdominal problems, i am now a believer you need to mention these sulfur burps when seeing yoru doctor. cause i never mentioned them, i thought it was just something i was eatting.

i've rambled enough, if anyone would like to contact me in reference to this, i have set up an email for it, ***@****. no that's not my name at all, just a random name i set up for this use only in case someone wanted to discuss this privately.

---V
THat was alot of useful info thanks. but ive been having a persistant problem for about 6 days now and it started when i ate ice cream and milk. I got the sulfer burps and gas and anytime i eat something my stomach gets hard and distended 3 times its size.! I look and feel pregnant from the presssure of the gas building up in my stomach. I had my gallbladder out in 2005 and im ok with lactose in moderation otherwise it gives me a stomach ache but ive never had these terrible burps or the passing of this awful gas. Can you suggest what it is? I was diagnosed with IBS in 2005 and GERD in 2006 but ive never had a problem with the sulfer!
I too have had the same issues with egg burps and eventual vomiting.  I have had it off and on since a child and I am now 42 years old.  I began to realize that the problem happened for me each and every time after eating pork tenderloin; typically around holiday celebrations (my wife would get so mad as I would get sick every holiday and could not be around the family).  

Whenever I would thow up after getting the burps, I noticed that there was food that was not digested (pork for me).  So now I avoid pork all together and have had no problems since.  Fortunately there are lots of alternatives to pork.

I spoke to my doctor about it and he indicated that it made sense since our bodies have to have certain enzymes to be able to break down certain types of foods.  It just so happens that I must not have the enzyme to be able to break down pork.  Beef and other meats are no problem for me.

Suffice it to say, whenever your body realizes that it cannot break down the food and pass it into the digestive track, it has no option but to throw it up (for me after about 24 hours).  It's like there is a clamp down on the outlet of the stomach that won't let undigested food pass.  However during the process, the food sits in your stomach trying to be digested and results in the rotten smelling burps and bloating.

I have no idea how to get the missing enzyme back, just pinpointing what foods you cannot digest is the battle.  Good luck.

-Van
I can't believe I found people with MY problem. I started having the rotten egg burps, vomiting =, diareah, and severe stomache cramps when I was around 10yrs old. My pediatrician diagnosed me with a duidinal ulcer when I was 12. He gave me a script for Perigoric (a very fowl liquid med) to take when I would have an episode. This happenened to me all my life until I had my gallbladder removed when I was 40. I have not had an attack since. I hope this helps someone out there. I was once on a date when this started and was so embarrased and frightened I would start throwing up before it was over. Alls my date could say is man were is that rotten egg smell coming from. I said I have no idea. It was horrible to grow up with this. Good Luck to All.
My goodness..When I typed in "rotten egg burps" I was almost laughing at myself, convinced it would turn up no results. WOW! When I read your post, I had to look at the sender to make sure i hadn't already submitted a post and forgotten about it  We're twins!! :) I also have GERD and take Nexium but thought a lot of my symptoms were related to 1 or more of the 7 meds I take for my MS. (hope we're fraternal twins and u don't have MS), Anyway, I have researched all my meds thoroughly b/c I won't even take a new drug prescribed by my doc until he gives me a week to research it, even if it's in IV form and feels it's emergent. Just too many recalls on meds these days after FDA approval. So, I have been on all my meds for almost 2 years and this rotten egg syndrome just started again a week ago but has been constant.I have experienced this twice before in years past just nothing this severe. The first time lasted chronically for 5-6 months but was cured by finally giving birth. So I naturally was relieved and felt it was pregnancy related. I did not experience any symptoms in my 2nd pregnancy, 5 years later.  The 2nd episode just happened randomly about 3 years ago, could not be connected to anything that seemed obvious, but only lasted about 36-48 hours  More than anything for me, it's a social issue. i like to joke around but never in the "gaseous realm."( I leave that to my hubby and son. :) So from a social perspective, it can be devastating.  My husband had been encouraging me to take some "girls nights" since I had either been cooped up at home or in the hospital.I was looking forward to fulfilling that offer but canceled 2 out of 3 of my social engagements due to nothing other than the "rotten egg smell" and the embarrassment associated with it. Actually, the burps themselves are certainly not belches and barely qualify as a burp b/c they are more like capturing a little burst of air in one's oral cavity followed by a swallow,kind of like a hiccup but not as spastic. (sorry about the unnecessary description-but maybe someone can relate, like u, my twin! it's the speech pathologist coming out in me.) So to put it bluntly, though the burping can be silent or at the worst,discreet, the smell GIVES IT AWAY!!-QUICKLY!!!! Silent, maybe...but definitely deadly and offensive, in regard to the olfactory effects(**** smell).I finally, after 3 years, can sort of chucle about this next story.
One time,we were sitting in church and I had one of my "burp-ettes. I continued to stare straight ahead and attemptedto react or cause a reaction but my husband, God love him, was the first to make a scene.  He looked at me in a horrified manner , which I tried to stifle and speak a body language to let him know to "cool i t", and hoped people in back of us,and front would just assume that he had been overcome with the Holy Spirit's conviction (which he was when I got done with him.) He whispered in my ear, asking if I had "tooted" to which I replied and explained, that a toot might have smelled better or likely, exactly the same as the burp. My son just looked around and wrinkled his nose until I tapped him on the leg and told him to "be cool and I will explain later." I had been complaining to my husband about how miserable it was becoming and that I needed some relief, but I don't think he "got it" until that memorable moment.  Godbless all those around us who were taumatized.And,I back up and verify all who say u can smell the odor acros a room. I did a small one yesterday in my dining room and left to get out of of the fog but once I reentered a minute or so later, the odor was still very strong. I take an extra Nexium when it is a really bad day but it doesn't seem to matter what I do.  Starting today, I'm going to try a coupleof things I have read on this forum...cutting out sodas, and trying the tandard Process Gastrx, and Lactobacillis acidoplilis.  I'll keep u posed and would love to hear updates from u and all on the forum.  Thanks for being thereand reading all my woes.  THANKS!
Like so many of you have said - wow, a forum for *this*?!

I just had an episode last night. More and more from what I read I am thinking it's gallbladder related and I vow the next time it gets bad - I'm going to the ER.

What's odd is that last night was Saturday. This week, I had one day where it was like omg I better get to the bathroom NOW, then that went away so I guessed it was something I ate. Then, the rest of this week, I've been very constipated. Saturday, still constipated and I felt the burps coming on around 9 pm (at work, nice) so I thought maybe if I went to the bathroom that would help. Still couldn't really go. By 11 pm, full fledged bloated abdomen and since I'm at work on the phone in a call center, I'm choking back burping and oh-so-possibly puking until my shift ends at 12:45 am. Then as I'm walking down the hallway on the way out, ahhhh I just let one go, thankful no one was behind me! Does anyone else get the real forceful burps?? Mine kind of come out like BBLLATTT and as you all know, woe to anyone standing around me, right?

So I come home, grab 2 gas-ex pills and my generic Prevacid, and crawl into bed almost crying in that wait-it-out phase. Around 2 am, I got up feeling like I was going to mess the bed, puke, or both (which I've done before, happy day) and when I go to the bathroom, totally the opposite of constipation. I mean like water, pouring. It always happens that way. Same thing this morning when I got up. All pain gone, but water down below, so to speak.

Symptomatically, aside from the burps, bloat, bowel symptoms - I have pain actually on my *left* side if there's "pain" at all: I'd say location is left palm down, facing in, on the tummy, just at the bottom of left rib cage, fingertips on the midline (path right above navel) it feels tender there, when I've read that gallbladder hurts on the right.

Anyhow tonight after a nap, I've woken with what feels like pain from my stomach straight through to my spinal column. Pain in between/shoulder area isn't new to me, as I have a whole slew of neck-jaw issues, but this is like, ouch yeah, associated with the bad burps pain. I'm almost hoping it manifests further so I can go to the ER. I am so sick of putting up with this unexpected garbage.

History: Had these since I was little - had GI series and etc. I can remember the docs telling my parents my stomach disorders came from their fighting in my presence. 0_o
Adult pain is sporadic as stated above. Have been told it is "Rotavirus" had a GI - that's about it. I am chicken of endoscopy/colonoscopy! I have GERD. I have found that enzyme pills do seem to help somewhat, if you take them regularly, almost like candy. During an episode, yogurt seems to help. Otherwise just wait it out. Ugh. If anything I guess I'm glad to find I'm not alone.
I also cant believe how many people are suffering the same vile disgusting eggy burps.I have been suffering for over a year now I`ve tried all over counter drugs,endoscopy colonoscopy IBS treatment all negatives.There seems to be no trigger! I`ve changed diet, you name it .I`m so miserable, my family suffer this foul rancid gas & often cover their noses or leave the room,I have absolutely no control over this ,the only way I can describe it is like a water dispensor after you press the button & there`s a huge rolling,gurggling load of gas bubbles,Thats me !Then out comes the stench.Also the burps are sometimes fizzy! These episodes last about 2 days & I have them about every 8 to 10 days, I have very bad diabetes & i`m prescribed many drugs for this & many other associated chronic illnesses & I`m thinking this could be drug related as i take 10 different pills& capsules some three times a day totaling 21 also insulin injections 5xdaily & exenatide injections 2xdaily. I am sure that some of these drugs don`t like each other! Despite what I tell you I have always been a happy friendly outgoing person.I am just 46, I have to deal with many regular hospital appointments & various surgeries & I`m feeling this unexplained disgusting "eggy syndrome" Is just about nudging me towards depression I can`t hide it & Its denting my confidense & self esteem.Sorry for rant.Jane
Well, shortly after writing that ----- I went to the ER.

I was admitted and had the old gallbladder removed. We'll see if this eliminates the problems. The thought of never again encountering those foul burps makes all the discomfort welcome. I'll post in a few months time to advise!
This sounds like Giardia, a common and difficult to diagnose condition, that causes flatulence, foul smelling burps and farts, sometimes vomiting and intermittent crampy pain and diarrhoea. It is relatively easy to treat with a single course of Tinidazole 2g, which may need to be repeated a week later, or a week of metronidazole. It can be sometimes diagnosed by a stool sample, but is often missed, as the parasite that causes it is only intermittently shed in faeces.  It is often recurrent, can last weeks to months, and can have a variable chronic and relapsing course. Some people have no symptoms, some people are severely affected. It can be contagious and can be due to contaminated water.

For all you poor souls suffering this, who seem to have had a myriad of treatments, it is worth trying this simple treatment to see if it makes a difference.
yep, it does sound like giardia ...

unfortunately, it also sounds a lot like IBS, GERD, h pylori, stomach cancer, stomach migraines, coeliac disease, malabsorption, gallstones, gallbladder infection, lactose intolerance, acid reflux, food allergies, and any number of other gastrointestinal issues.  in fact, you can find a (mis?)diagnosis for each of the above just browsing through this and other "sulfur burp" threads on this forum.

i do agree with dr_incy that giardia is the best place to start for anyone experiencing these symptoms for the first time.  however, if the attacks continue to recur on an infrequent basis (once a month, twice a year, etc) with no significant symptoms between attacks, then you almost certainly do *not* have giardia.  i have had giardia, by the way, in addition to the mystery burps ... you can find more details on my history in this thread:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/Chronic-rotten-egg-sulfur-burps/show/575698

my current theory:
in my case i think the culprit is a malabsorption/intolerance that causes a particular food (or combination of foods) to remain in my stomach without being digested.  other foods (including the white barium drink they give you for an upper-GI) will pass through just fine, but the problematic food just sits in my stomach and stagnates (until i throw it all up).  

potential solution:
i havent had an attack for some time, but next time i have one i intend to save some of my vomit and send it in for a lab test.  this is the only practical way i can think of to find out what food it is that isnt getting digested.  would be great if others could do the same and post their results.

-emory
Well so much for the gallbladder theory. I had it taken out on 4/15/09 and seemed fine for 2 weeks. On 5/1 I got the burps again and wound up in the ER thinking that if they did tests and so on -while- I was in that condition, surely they'd find out what was wrong.

Incorrect assumption, foolish mortal.

I checked in at 2 AM and left at almost 10 AM. Had a CT scan and bloodwork, and what? No results. Well, here is some darvocet for pain, have a nice day. So the bottom line is I'm going to have to have a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy done.I just don't understand if I've had this since elementary school, and I'm 42 now, why no one can say AH HA! It's really frustrating.
Well, guess what I have again tonight folks?? I'm definitely starting a calendar of when they happen-symptoms-home treatment-ER treatment etc as well as what foods were eaten in the previous 24 hr period.

My question to the doctors, you said something about a vomit sample which is gross enough, but I dont' typically vomit ... almost as nasty, do you think if I get the horrendous diarrhea, if they somehow did anal-y-sis (lol) of that, it would tell them anything, or if there was parasitic activity, show that?

I'm FED UP.
hi speirce,

yes, a stool sample (diarrhea or otherwise) would indicate parasite infection.  definitely for giardia; also for most other parasites i believe.  and if you think parasites are responsible, you dont need to wait for another attack, the stool test can be done any time.  note that h pylori is not a parasite, however, and i dont think stool test are a very reliable method for diagnosing it.

my reason for suggesting lab work on a vomit sample was that in the case of a food intolerance/malabsorption, the problematic food would presumably not be digested, so it would not be present in a stool sample.

-emory
I am going to see a gastro specialist 6/10 - last trip to the ER the doc was *very* good at explaining in layman's terms which I appreciate even if I'm a medical assistant.

When I told him I'd had (since childhood) these symptoms:
*Sulfur-egg-omfgnasty burps
*alternating constipation/diarrhea/loose,floaty stools
*feeling flushed, suddenly very tired and almost dazed in a "flare up"
*hard, pressure in abdomen, very gassy

He stated "If I gave this list to a 2nd yr. med student and they didn't know you from Adam, they'd better diagnose it as a gallbladder problem or go into psychiatry!" He said that if I'd had such symptoms so long essentially my gallbladder for whatever reason was junk even at age 12 and that they "removed an organ that wasn't working right to begin with!"

When I asked him why it seemed that I could eat MealX one day and have no problems and eat that same MealX a week later and get a full-blown omgburps episode, his answer was thought provoking. He said ok listen, if your gallbladder is there producing bile, it might not be producing enough -or- you have to consider how it works: When you eat, the bile has about a 1/2 hr. window to do its thing. *IF* the bile goes in too soon, too little or too late... that food is not digesting as it should which causes the problems. Hm. I know the burps sure smell like something rotting in my intestinal tract, how 'bout you?

Another thing he said is that if the gallbladder is removed, it becomes the function of the liver to get that bile into the food. So as he said, one day your liver is just hanging out, nothing much to do and it sees some food coming along and dispenses some lovely bile, the food goes on it's way and everyone is happy. *IF* however, your liver is busy doing something of a higher priority like detoxifying something out of your system (Hm... medications?) then it doesn't send out the bile and ta-da, you have your symptoms.

My family doc feels that it might be IBS or even Celiac's disease, but I feel if it was celiac's that I'd be sick every single time I ate because well, gluten is in almost everything. He said the gastro doc will almost guaranteed want to do an upper endoscopy, fun fun, so I'll keep you posted.

Sorry this is long but I wanted to share that ER doc's explanation. Maybe it will be of help to someone else.
speirce wrote:

> * alternating constipation/diarrhea/loose,floaty stools
> * feeling flushed, suddenly very tired and almost dazed in a "flare up"
> * hard, pressure in abdomen, very gassy

interesting that you mention these other symptoms ... i regularly have all these too, although they occur quite independently from the burps and i have always assumed they were two separate issues.

> *IF* however, your liver is busy doing something of a higher priority
> like detoxifying something out of your system (Hm... medications?)
> then it doesn't send out the bile and ta-da, you have your symptoms.

as a matter of fact, my other symptoms (gas pressure, diarrhea, sudden daze/exhaustion) have essentially disappeared about since i stopped taking daily medication (adderall (adderrall)) about four months ago.  now, when i take the adderall (adderrall) (i still use it every now and then), the symptoms will return immediately (within 20 minutes of swallowing the pill) unless i take immodium simultaneously with the adderall (adderrall), which suppresses the symptoms entirely.  (not sure what it is about the immodium that does the trick ... i dont think its the simethicone, since gasx does not work nearly as well.)

im still not convinced that these "other symptoms" are related to my mystery burps, but your explanation definitely matches up with my experience as far as the other symptoms are concerned.

would be interesting to know how many other folks with these problems take a liver-intensive medication (adderall (adderrall) or otherwise) on a regular basis.

-emory
I almost feel silly after reading all of these posts to say "I also have been burping egg" but after doing a bunch of research and being someone who is 50, diabetic and avidly involved in my treatment (meaning I visit the doctor when I have issues and have one that I can talk to and works with me very well) I have a few comments.
1st to those of you who have suffered through giardia, I am sorry that your symptoms are simular to ours with this "chronic" problem, but as for me I know this is not now or has it ever been the issue. I have drank purified bottled water for years and have been tested for this problem with NO evidence ever.
I was sure it was gall bladder problems until I read the above post from the person who had theres removed and then felt better again with the explanation on the liver taking over.
I am sure it is at least related to these process' in our bodies but I have something that at least has worked fairly well for me. I drink a probiotic dairy drink. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WOULD NORMALLY STOP READING PLEASE WAIT. I am NOT a health food nut, but I have found that if I drink one of these "yogurt" drinks(readily available in the dairy cooler, made by dannon, yoplait, activia etc)making sure it has live cultures , my symptoms are gone within a few hours. Amazing since my attacks can last DAYS.
I am also sure it is food related, probably onions for me, but it can be different for everyone. One of the "other" sights I read on listed eggs, onions, pork, corn, nuts and beans as the top triggers.
And to clarify for the doubters,yes this has happened to me off and on for over 10 years, 90% of the time it is accompanied by severe diahrea, MAJOR gas(I can feel it rolling from one side of my body to the other as if the bubbles were racing)is always a symptom, and feeling lethargic and sleepless during it seems to be the norm.
Just to let you guys know - I haven't had symptoms since 6/9/09 and that night was probably the worst ever so far as pain. I swear I was lapsing in and out of consciousness. It makes me wonder if there was indeed some "bug" in my system that I guess pushed out in some wicked conclusive push you know? However they did test for H Pylori and that was negative, as was a Giardia test.

I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy done and they determined that I have a hiatal hernia and diverticulitis ---- now I don't really know how either of those would manifest into the symptoms of egg burps and etc, but I just thought I'd report my findings here fwiw.

To anyone worried about having a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy, don't worry. They put you out and you never even know it's been done. The prep however? Ugh. You have to drink a 2 liter or more of salt water solution flavored with cherry, apple or pineapple and let me tell you, the flavoring does nothing to make it more pleasant! Then you have to delay all plans and stay by your bathroom the whole day. Nice.

I would however recommend getting these tests done and seeing a gastro specialist. There's really no other way for them to literally get inside and see what's going on.

To the previous poster regarding yogurt ie: Activia etc. I am quite sure such products would be beneficial. Another thing, especially for the diverticulitis that would probably help is to drink maybe 4 oz. of pure Aloe Vera juice each day. Let's put it this way, either of these healthy options wouldn't cause any more problems, so why not try them?
i am a mother of 4. I experience the"eggy" burpbs along with vomiting the poops extreme belly aches and cold sweats probably every month maybe 1-2 times a month. A long time ago when i was 10 (im now 25) i ate a whole package of salami. it was like 2 pounds in one sitting. I remember that was the first time i had the egg burbs. it didnt happen agian until dec.2008. i was 9 months pregnant. i thought the pain and cramps would put me into labor. my sister at the time was staying at my house for the hoidays and she also had smelly burbs the poops the whole nine yards. at the time i didnt have custody of my kids and they too had really smelly burbs. which later developed into the diarhea (diarrhea) and vomiting. Since christmas my older three children and myself frequently get ill. the last time i was sick i went camping and i started burping. so i went home because i knew what was to come. but this time there was a fever too!? i think i may have caught a bug/virus and it weakend my immune system. i have kept a food journal and been very concious of what i eat at all time . my children as well. there is no corelation. i have noticed though through us being sick, my 7 month old hast gotten sick at all. She is breastfed, i was reading that the parasite infection doesnt affect breastfed babies because of its antibodies that line the babies intestines...so im thinking that its probably a parasite. so today i took my 3 yearold to kaiser to see what the doctors. she said rotovirus........i doubt it. so demanded some test she looked at me funny and complied they have not come in im still collecting    samples for them i will let you guys know. this is a miserable condition. and its ruining the moral in my home because we are alwas sick. when i say sick i mean out for the count and it ruined our summer plans
Wow a big not so happy family with the same symptoms and issues...i thought i was the only one as well....I have the exact same problem   eggy smelling burps...upset stomach...everything....nothing but time and patience works for me...drinking liquids and pray that it goes away sooner then later...i have never found a solution that works for me...at this moment in typing i am struggling with the problem and just cant take it anymore..i hope i can find something that works for me ...
My son who suffers these same symptoms was just hospitalized and had a HIDA scan done. He claimed that when they gave him something in his IV, the hardness in his belly, gas, burps, nausea etc was instantly present.

In doing some research today, might this have been cholecystokinin?

If so, are there cholecystokinin inhibitors that you can take somehow to reduce this obviously naturally occuring substance?
Fascinating.

I've just started another bout this week and decided to google it, never expecting to be a member of such a community.  It's comforting to know I'm not the only one.  I, also, have experience and insight to offer.

I've had the problem since I was young, and I am 48 now.  My parents had no luck getting answers when I was a child and (horrors) I somehow got through my teenage and college years suffering with it (interestingly enough, it seemed to be one day on and one day off with the burps).  My symptoms have included the stinky burps, bloating, diahrrea, GERD and fatigue, but no vomitting.  I didn't have it all the time; it came and went.  And it didn't matter what I ate.  I discovered through trial and error that I could swig Pepto Bismol and it would take care of the smelly burps, but they always came back.  It sounds like every case is different, and I'm grateful for all of the information the people here have contributed, but in my case, I finally found a GI doctor that gave me a diagnosis.  PYLORIC STENOSIS !!!  I'm surprised I haven't seen it here already, and maybe it isn't the answer for everyone, but I thought I'd share what I know, anyway.  

It is a narrowing of the sphincter connecting the stomach to the small intestine.  My Doctor performed and endoscopy on me and stretched that sphincter, and my probelm was solved!  For a while.  My symptoms returned after a couple of years, and I had the procedure repeated, and it worked again.  Unfortunately, it looks like I may be due for another one.  But in the meantime, I'll be using Pepto Bismol to quell the stench.  

Thank you everyone for your information!  I will be going to my Doctor armed with more information.
Well, I have the eggy/foul burps and abdominal pain but no diarrhea or vomiting.  Ok, I kind of upchuck but nothing comes up but spittal or a bit of phlegm.  This started for me a couple of months ago.  I'm currently experiencing my third bout with it.  I've not really tired anything but to get it out.  Once I get these huge gross burps to come up, I feel fine.  It's just getting them to come out that's so icky, the waiting game, the moving to this side to sitting up to walking around and then finally it comes out.  Being unemployed due to layoff earlier this summer and no insurance I can't afford to go to a doctor so right now I'm going to wait it out.

I'm curious to know if any over the counter medication might work...any suggestions? I thought about going to my 24 hour Walgreen's and getting Pepto or something.  This is just unbearable.
> I'm curious to know if any over the counter medication might work...
> any suggestions?

i have not found any medication that will reduce/eliminate the burps or the pressure caused by the gas/bloating.  however, i have found pain killers very effective for relieving the pain.

i took two generic vicodin pills during my last attack and actually managed to sleep through most of the episode, waking up only for each of the five or six pressure peaks and subsequent purges.  although it was by no means a pleasant night, it was a vast improvement from the usual experience, turning the almost constant unbearable agony into an intermittent dull ache.

of course, you have to be able to keep the pill down for like 20 minutes for it to be effective, so its important to take it early (ideally as soon as you notice the first burp).  if you need another round (i took a second pill about 4 hours in), try to take it directly after a purge in order to maximize the absorption time before the next "eruption".

-emory
I have had this problem since college. I believe that it began with an episode of salmonella poisoning from restaurant food. I also had something called rotovirus during that time period. Doctors have not helped at all with this problem, as usual it seems that they are just clueless. With me it is definately related to eating chicken or egg or most things that contain chicken/egg. It seems that I have developed an intolerance to these foods, as something as innocuous as vegetable soup ( made with chicken stock, as most are I found out) will cause rotten egg burps, bloating, stomach pain, and sometimes vomiting. When I completely avoid chicken and egg in my diet the problem ceases. Good luck to everyone suffering from this gross and embarrassing problem.
I have had this since I was a child, without the vomiting or extreme pain others described. I think there are a number of causes for our symptoms.

My trigger food was always Cheerios. I now think that pumpkin seeds might be a trigger,
My symptoms were absolutely at their worst when I was pregnant.

To the methamphetamine user- I am not surprised by your experience. Meth and other stimulants "speed up" your digestion (I'm sure you've noticed that you poop pretty much immediately after ingesting meth). When you quit, your digestion probably "shuts down", which is what my symptoms feel like- like something is just sitting there, not digesting. Sometimes I will drink coffee in this instance to "move along" the digestive process.

I have a bad bout right now- I went on a grain-fee diet for 2 weeks and was fine, but started adding sugary foods here and there the last few days and eating some grains here and there, plus lots more meat. So frustrating not to be able to figure out the source of the problem....
I have had the same issue for 2 years.  My doctor prescribed metronidazole tablets and I take one each time the symptoms appear.  Knocks the problem out within hours.  I don't take them over an extended period, only as needed for the symptoms.  Ask your medical provider to write a prescription for you.  I don't know the cause, but I know what works for me.
Im suffering with this at the moment which is why im here lol! i wanted to see if there was a medical term or something. I think its probably a stomach infection that i have like Squicket said, i haven't had it for a while now but in the past i used to get it quite alot, maybe i need to be a little more carful about what i eat lol. My symptoms are the disgusting burps, stomach pains and i also had a little diorreha (awful word to spell), its typical that it had to be new year eve today though :( looks like no drinking for me tonight :'(
I am lactose intolerant, sensitive to sulfur, do not digest beef well, am allergic to alcohol and incredibly allergic to sulfa drugs.  That being said, I have also had my gall bladder out.  I am having the same eggy belches and gas, I throw up a bunch-not fun.  Lets not discuss stools.  I am basically tired of it all!  I have low grade fevers, sometimes, and hot and cold flashes often.  I am only 38 so it is not the end to Eve's curse.  What is IS, I have no clue.  I have drainage problems also, anyone else?
I would appreciate any comments,
Stacie  
hi i also suffer from this condition mine seems to come on for no reason.
i never knew so many people suffer from this . i have read the various theories with much interest and hope to put them to the test to see if they work for me !
Trust me-most of you do not need to visit an ER for this problem. The worst episodes of this are simply going to leave you extremely dehydrated but you can be prepared for this. During these episodes,your body is violently REJECTING a COMBINATION of ingredients that together with stomach acid, create a volatile mixture that you cannot (and should not) stop from "boiling over" or "fizzing up" until your body has rid itself of the putrid recipe. Your own body IS the doctor, your bathroom is the ER,and plenty of fluids on hand are your vital nursing meds during a sulfuric burping/puking/diarrhea session.

Since I was 5 years of age I have dealt with this horrific and disgustingly putrid problem. The worst days of my life are the days I've had the rotten egg/sulfuric smelling,vomit/diarrhea sessions. I've been dehydrated to the point of exhaustion-laying on bathroom floor,unable to get up for hours. But no need for an ER.

That heavy feeling of a brick in your stomach is the direct result of rapidly expanding amounts of gas which are "fizzing up" so quickly in your stomach that it creates immense pressure before it can escape. The gases from this violent reaction build so quickly that very soon you find yourself releasing burps and flatulence which are comprised of the exact same smelling VOC (Volatile Organic Compound). The "boiling over" or "fizzing up" of the gases take place and you begin to burp it out. This is the organic reaction of the combination of foods in your stomach when mixed with stomach acid. The vomiting and diarrhea is your body expelling the VOC. It is unwise to seek meds to prevent your body from expelling what it is naturally expelling. Your body knows best what it needs. So stop yourself before you seek medical attention to quell the symptoms after the fact.

Tonight I ate Mexican from a restaurant and hours later suffered my latest episode. The episode previous to tonight was triggered by a hamburger from yet another restaurant. An episode before that was triggered by Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I as well as many of you decided to keep a log of the foods I ate at the time. We have done this because our bodies are telling us that it is a food we ingest. But it isn't quite that simple,because it is a COMBINATION of two foods which react together with our stomach acid. This is like trying to decipher a winning lottery number before the lottery has taken place-the chances are slim you will pin down the culprit combo of foods.

RED DYE # 40 has been previously mentioned here and it is quite possible that it could be a component. It in itself causes gastrointestinal problems, and when mixed with another INTOLERABLE ingredient within our stomachs,it could very well be the catalyst which sparks off the reaction. Afterall, the chemical formula for RED DYE # 40 is indeed comprised of sulfuric ingredients( sulfophenylazo and naphtalenesulfonic acid).
Many dyes cause many problems for many people. They should be banned,quite frankly. I can deal with drab colored foods a lot better than I can deal with being on my hands and knees with eye-popping gags and gut-wrenching heaves.

My main reason for posting this is because too many of you are looking for a modern medicine "cure" for this ailment. There is none. Modern medicine specializes in masking symptoms and they often create far worse medical problems than they worth. We are comprised of Earth's ingredients. Every herb on this planet has a use. Look for natural cures for your ailments before systematically running to a typical modern medicine doctor.

If you are currently suffering from a higher frequency of sulfuric intolerance (rotten egg burping/diarrhea),for your own sake get away from processed foods. Eat more rice,especially wild rice and brown rice. Incorporate larger amounts of garlic in your foods. A sip of vinegar mixed 50/50 with honey now and then also. These three simple foods will clean you out and keep you clean. Do it. Hope you all feel better soon. ~Vote Ron or Rand Paul in 2012~
Wow I'm so glad I'm not alone.In my case I sometimes go 3,4,5 w/o a b/m and feel its gross old food just sitting in my stomach.I drink a tea called 3 ballerina tea to promote a healthy BM bowel movement.The sugar thing I also believe contributes to it.used to happen weekly now its a few times a yr so there is no rhyme or reason.It is the most disgusting smell ever!once i was on a 5 hr rd trip with friend,not real close friends so it was the worst.I do take pain meds for some bad injuries,that causes the constipation.I'm at a loss it comes out of no where every few months.Some one else i know get em and we call them the sewer burps.nasty.
I'm trying to decide whether or not my symptoms really link to anyone else's.  I've had episodes of these rotten egg burps since I was young.  However, they don't seem to be as frequent.  Sometimes once every few months, but it rarely happens anymore.  Sometimes the burps are coupled with vomit (that smells exactly like the burps) and sometimes I get diarreah (diarrhea), but this isn't always the case.

At first, my doctor contributed it to medication from my nebulizer (liquid medication turned into a gas to breathe) ending up in my stomach.  My last two episodes (two years ago and last night) were not proceeded by me using my medication, though.  I never thought of searching for information online until last night, desparate to get better so I could sleep in the same room as my husband (married only 4 months).  

I read all the comments and found that the most frequent "home remedy" listed was eating yogurt.  I had nothing to loose at this point so I tried it out.  3 hours later, the burps still smelled foul and tasted disgusting, however it was like smelling roses compared to the normal smell.  6 hours later, I don't seem to have any rotten burps.  While these episodes were not triggered by a similar food, I'm starting to wonder if it is, in fact, bacteria in my stomach.

I say, try the home remedies (natural) and then go for the doctors.  If it's as simple as eating a yogurt a day, I think I can live with that.  No use in having invasive procedures done if they can be avoided.

I hope that those who don't have constant symptoms can profit from this information.
I have had this same problem and went to the er last night. They said I have the stomach flu and my dr said it was from uncooked chicken which I did have a day prior to this problem. Also, can anxiety play a part in this bc i have general anxiety disorder.
Same here! I started having symptoms last fall. I am 23 and my wife can't STAND it when I have an episode (like right now) It comes on for a few days then STOPS like nothing ever happened

It started one month after I had a 1 kg (2.2 pound) tumor removed that was tucked between my stomach and liver and attached to my esaphogus and stomach and outer peritineal wall. The surgeon tried to put my stomach and liver in "their normal positions" My personal theory, for whatever reason, the food doesn't get to my intestines as well as it used to because of swelling or who knows what else!

The result is that the food doesn't get digested and then rots. I burp 5X the normal and have HORRIBLE gas. People must think terrible things but I hate it as much as them. Sometimes, I have diarhea (diarrhea) ocassionaly but never vomit.                  From what I have read, the best cure is to just get the food out quickly before it can rot, OR kill the bacteria or parasite that causes the smell because, lets face it, It is FOREIGN organisms that break down sulfur compounds that smell so bad. Controlling your food intake seems an impossible task with the list of sulfur containing foods being SO huge: eggs, beans, WHOLE GRAINS, apples, milk. just to name a few.

My opinion: take different meds from those suggested above until one works
ive had these eggy burps since i was a kid im now 23 when i was younger they used to always make me vomit especially after eating a mcdonalds. Now when i eat a mcdonalds i dont get the burp. Everytime i would eat greasy food id get the burp but now there seems to be nothing that triggers it it happens when i havent eaten and when i have eaten every doctor i have been to doesnt know what it is
i used to always drink soda and i thought it was the cause of the burps so i stopped drinking soda for 7 months but the burp problem still continued.
Wow, I can't believe so many people suffer with what I thought had to be reserved just for me.  I'm not glad to hear that so many people has this problem, but I have to say that I am glad that it's not just me.  I am 51 yrs. old and had my first bout with the sulfer burps last monday, on of all days when I had an appt(.not drs.) and had to sit in the waiting room with all those people I didn't know burping that horrific odor every few minutes. I was so embarrassed.  Anyway last Sunday night before I went to bed I had a craving for Blackberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream. And I had a lot of it, when I got up monday morning I starting burping and my husband looked at me like I had just opened the lid on the septic tank.  I felt a little bloated and gassy but did not have any of the symptoms of diarea (diarrhea), vommiting or severe pain.Just the very foul sulfuric odor when I burped, which unfortunately I did all day monday and was still doing when i went to bed that night. On Tuesday morning all symtoms (symptoms) was gone. Then unfortunateley I awoke this morning with the same symptoms and still have as I write this. I didn't have ice cream yesterday but the only thing I ate on Sat. was a reece's peanut butter egg.which probably has some sort of dairy in it. I have never been Lactose intolerate before but who knows now.  I read Jody's comments about it possibly being stress related and I this very well could be because It seems for the last 2 wks. I have had several aniexty attacks and have been really hateful.
I thank all of you for your comments, it's really comforting to know that I don't specifically have the patent on this horrible mystery. And thank you Jody for sharing all your experience's with us, I got alot out of reading them.And for anyone that don't want to read them like was said in another comment that's why we have a scroll button.
I'm 23 years old, and I've had this since my 22nd birthday in Feb 2009.  That day i had chips and dips and soon after eating that I threw it up. I thought maybe i had food poision.  The next day i was throwing up and had diarrhea plus burping this horrible taste/smell.  That lasted about a week before I finally went to the doctor about it.  The dr ran some blood and urine test.   This is what she told me I had:
A UTI!  she said that it was abacteria in my bladder that was making it bubble make up my intestines and that was what was making me burp/throw up.  She also said that was what was causing my to be bloated and having diarrhea.  She said i was practically throwing up/burping smells that were same as coming out "the other end."  Gross right?
She gave me an antibiotic and told me to take antacids.  A couple of weeks later i had an OB/GYN appointment and told that dr.  He laughed and said that was a new one to him.  He said that was a very creative ******** answer to a problem that this other doctor didn't know the answer to.
But the meds worked and i haven't had that problem again...until a couple of months ago.  I've had it off and on.
Good luck with everyone trying to find the answer!
I suffer from these "egg burps" every other year or so.  I can't imagine those of you who have to go throught this every few weeks.  You definetly have my sympathy!!  I am going thru this right now and am desperatly searching for answers too.  I have noticed that starting to drink water as soon as the symptoms start usually helps a bit.  I also found an article on foods rich in sulfur...stay away from them until your symptoms subside.  I am going to try to keep them out of my diet all together. Good Luck to all of you!! I hope someone comes up with a cure...quickly!!
Foods Rich in Sulfur
For those of us with impaired sulfoxidation, knowing what's high in sulfur is critical.

Garlic, onions, and all of the allium family
Grains
methionine: corn, sunflower seeds, oats, chocolate, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sesame seeds (in that order).
cysteine: oats, corn (corn grits are higher than chicken, see Sulfur in Human Nutrition and Applications in Medicine, by Stephen Parcell, ND. Published by Thorne Research. [PDF].)
MSM: corn
Legumes, including carob and jicama (alfalfa: MSM)
Red meats
eggs
of chicken
[of duck maybe less so?]
Nuts & seeds
Broccoli and all cole-family (brassica) vegetables. This includes cabbages, pak choi, mustard, and watercress.
Asparagus
Coconut
Avocado (high in glutathione, which breaks down during digestion, yielding cysteine)
Watermelon (also high in glutathione)
Swiss Chard
Parsley
Sweet potatoes and "yams" (American yams, Genus Ipomoea, not Dioscorea, which the rest of the world calls "yams") - a sulfur compound in this tuber chelates heavy metals. [Need documentation on this.]
Bananas
Tomatoes (MSM)
Tea & coffee: MSM
Dairy products (Cows' milk: MSM. other milks?)
Whey proteins (high in cysteine & methionine)
Amino acids: cysteine, methionine
Thiamin / Thiamine / Vitamin B1 / aneurine
Biotin, Vitamin B7 or Vitamin H
Drink plain water and flat coke helps, has to be coke (not pepsi) and has to be left until it goes flat before u drink it.  Eat arrow root biscuits if u can but nothing else.
I had this problem and doctor told me this and it worked.
I have this problem right now, I actually came here this time last week looking for a solution, as I had them exactly a week ago, the symptoms: Rotten egg burps and extreme flatulance, bloating and then later turns to diarrhea.....my symptoms started at 6pm last night.....I have had no sleep. Right now I am listening to the noise my stomach is making, sounds like a thunder storm going on in there.
Last year around the same time I had this three times in almost the same pattern, I would get sick one day, the problem would subside after 18-24 hours (or when I was empty) then it would return exactly a week later, the same, and last year it went away for 2 weeks the 2nd time before it returned again. Then I was all clear up untill last week.

I have tried ruling out foods, taking several kinds of medicine, last night after remembering how people were speaking out vomiting to purge whatever is causing it, I even gave that a try, though I just was dry heaving, nothing came up no matter how much I tried to induce it.

This is by far the most frustrating & embarassing illness I have ever had, and I just wish someone would find some kind of cure for it.
Just a further update on this, I was talking to my chiropractor and he mentioned that given I have a severe lower back problem, my symptoms may be linked to my back - especially since my back was very out of wack today.
So just a further thing to try if you have no luck with other remedies. I have found my chiro has fixed many problems which I thought were bigger issues. I will update if I get this again, being so that the chiro adjustment was a dud.
I am feeling hopeful anyway. My body is still recovering though....the dry heaving really makes you ache.
my 9 year old son suffers terribly with sulfer burps (stinky burps he calls them) he has learning disabilities and a number of other mobility and health problems bless him, so i took him to see our doctor to see if he could give me some anwers as to why this keeps happening every other week, his reply was, gas smells! so rather than knock the doctors head off his shoulders i left the surgery  realing with rage and still no answer. the poor little love has enough crap to deal with and gets bullied at school for being short and tubby with shorter than average arms and if the kids get near him when he has his (stinky) burps they make his life hell . all i want is a remedy for this! all he drinks is water , so im wondering if his digestive system isnt working as it should. if anyone has any ideas please please please let me know im willing to try anything to help him.

emma, desperate mummy xx
This is insane!!!!!!Something is  very wrong!!This is the first time I have bothered to search engine the phrase "egg smelling burps" and I stumble across this blog of people who pretty much have the same symptoms I have suffered with for 7 horrible,miserable,desperate years of my life!!I I have been to doctors hospitals specialists etc..and always been treated like a mental person seeking attention or had the symptoms downplayed"oh it only gas,can't be that bad"I have type 1 diabetes which quiet often gets blamed.My symptom history includes:Severe fatigue bloating to the point that I cant breathe depression mood swings and a new one is inflamation (inflammation) of the joints(mainly wrists and knees)the cycle is followed by severe and uncontrollable diarrheaIn conclusion I cannot live a full and happy life while this is happening!!I will go to my G.P and show her this blog and make her read and listen to every symptom and I urge you to do the same!!My only hope  is that somebody ,somewhere listens and reacts!!
I started with this problem about a year ago. Started out once every couple of months, then it went to monthly, then it went to weekly. My son and one of my daughters gets this too, while my daughter has only had it twice in a year, my son gets it often (Last night). I started a drug similar to Byeta that is used for my Diabete's and the problem got severe. I dropped the meds and the problem went back to normal. My doctor asked me to start taking a probiotic called ALIGN. It is working for me so far and I started my son on it this morning. It is a once a day pill costing about $35.00 a month (you can get it cheaper on Amazon with auto shipping). I AM NOT A HEALTH NUT and I am not pushing this pill. I only state that it works for me. I have tried everything else. I noticed that yogurt helped to minimize the duration of the burps when I got it so I think this probiotic on a daily basis is giving me the good bacteria in my stomach to prevent this problem. I wish you all luck.
I have this problem too. It started my second year in college. It then went away for about four years and it just came back recently.

I found that most of my problems streams from a blockage in intestinal. My bowl movement are kind of irregular. You may want to rule this out before trying anything else or going to the doctor. Laxatives works, but the quicker way is to give yourself an enema. It will clean you out and if it was a blockage, you will feel better almost immediately. It should also get rid of the rotten egg burps since it is caused by too much acid mixed with food that has rotten at the bottom of you stomach.

If you want to take the laxatives, you have to neutralize the acid in your stomach, otherwise you will get sicker. Making yourself throw up as soon as possible helps. Baking soda does the job too. There is some medicines you can also buy that will neutralize the acid and will give you time for the laxative to work. If you do take a laxative, take it for three days before stopping to make sure you are clean out.

This works for me anyway, so I just wanted to throw this out here. Good luck and I feel all of your pain and it is nice to know that I was not the only one who had this problem and I was not just crazy.
I occasionally have the same problem as everyone else here. I don't think mine is as bad as most of you. I only tend to get it once or twice a year at most, but it always starts with what I have called rancid burps. I've read a lot of postings here and most people describe it as sulfuric/eggy burps, but I've always described it as if something was decomposing in my stomach. This to me seems to coincide with the suggestion that some of the posters here are not digesting certain types of foods with a build up of too much acid in the stomach. Some people here have suggested keeping a food diary. I'd like to second the thought with a slight difference. With the thought that the 'flavor' of the burps taste more like decomposition rather than sulfuric to me, I'm trying to consider what I ate 2 or 3 or 4 days before the bought of intestinal discomfort. I would be interested to see if anyone else would describe the burps more in the same terms that I do.
OMG!!! I have always wondered what tourmented me when I was a kid for so many years!! I never met anyone with my condition it is gone now and i have found some reasons behind it for myself.  I tried seeing many doctors in the past but no one actually took me seriously untill having this condition for 4 years straight..... yea it was 4 years straight non stop it was a total hell for me i would do anything for it to stop for one day. Apparently I walked past a chinese herbal store that sold fermented orange peels, the chinese have been using that stuff to treat vomiting and gas for 3000 years when I walked past the store i thought what the hell I cant eat anything anything anyways I would just eat that so i  poped one into my mouth apparently my nausea subsidded..... then I thought wow This stuff is great!! and started eating the stuff since anything else would make that burp and vomit.  This stuff has the ablity to decrease the sulfer burps intensity so it would not smell as fowl and sometimes get rid of it complely, it is however not a cure for me i had the problem for many years that come and go for another 4 years that makes it 8 years all together,  I found that for myself it is accociated with some form of unknown forms of stress that perhaps the person dosent even know so knowing whats bothering you and finding a way to accpet the problem actually can get rid of the problem pretty well.

PS Yes I would describe it as what you have said
I too have this horrible sulfur burping, diarrhea and vomiting issue.  My first time with it was when my wife and I were at a bed and breakfast in Williamsburg.  Never in my life had I burped something so disgusting.  At first it was funny - my wife gave me this (What's wrong with your insides!!!) look... later on the sulfur smell got even worse and the diarrhea began.  Not long after that vomiting and I did feel feverish.  Eventually it passed but I felt so bad for her and ANYONE on the same floor of that place as my sulfur smell overpowered more than just our room - so that's embarrassing and the people who ran the place were elderly people who couldn't have been nicer.  I thought it was terrible that this happened while I was away at Williamsburg but in retrospect it was really a blessing.  Several weeks later I happened to have the same issue again.  Again got HORRIBLE sulfur burps that peeled the wallpaper off the wall, forced everyone out of the room - made it impossible to be in the same car with me, etc - then the diarrhea and then very sick vomiting and dry heaves.  It was so bad I knew I HAD to figure out what was wrong with me as the 2nd time was worse than the 1st.  I figured another time or two and I might die. So I thought back about everything I ate at Williamburg and everything I ate the 2nd time I was sick.  I found that for me the only common thread - which was very difficult to find - was liquid smoke.  I know that sounds stupid - to be allergic to liquid smoke - but that was the only possible solution.  Fast forward 12 years - never had liquid smoke all that time and 3 nights ago without looking carefully I ate a Lantz cheese cracker with "smoke flavoring".  My first thought was- "Hey these crackers are great!"  Then about 5 seconds later.  OH CRAP!!!  I was worried I would be sulfur burping in the next 10 minutes but it didn't work that way for me.  My stomach was a little upset but not much... the next day I thought nothing of it until in the evening after I ate a larger than normal meal out at Fudruckers.  I ate a HUGE beef natchos and a reese peanut butter cup shake.  That did it.  My body might have been able to deal with that Fudruckers meal normally but my guess is that 'liquid smoke' material was still in my stomach and all that additional food was just too much to take for my system.  I do have break outs - white heads - when i eat cream or too much ice cream.  So I'm a little LI but not terribly so.  Anyway, I did take someone's advise here and I ate some yogurt about an hour ago and my sulfur burps have stopped - the diarrhea - well... I don't think that's behind me yet.  LOL!  For me the solution is to eat yogurt, drink pure water or hot tea and rest.  Praying is always good no matter your physical needs anyway.  We pray before every meal and when we eat out and before we go to sleep - and when we're concerned for others and we feel like it.  I'm 40 and our stress should probably be higher as I'm a real estate agent and that's not an easy business in this economy - plus my wife just started working as a long term sub after being home with the kids for the last 8 years.  There should be more stress I suppose but our relationship with each other and with Christ makes things MUCH easier.  Sometimes when I'm driving around a little voice says to me I should be really freaking out but then there's this underlying peace and I think "Nah" I'll just keep staying calm and I trust in Him.  Anyway, I hope this helps some of you; while others seem to have this issue very intensely.  My guess, each of us have that "one thing" for me liquid smoke for others it might be a combination of foods that together provide our stomach to have the wonderful opportunity to face an 'undigestible' situation.  Best to eat some healthy yogurt, keep fluids in us, stay warm and close to the bathroom, and although it's kind of hard at the time - thank God for all our blessings and even for being sick sometimes because it can bring us closer to Him.  When was the last time you were enjoying a great movie snuggled up with some pop-corn and suddenly felt the urge to pray to Him?  How about the last time you were REALLY sick?  That's my only point.  :-)  Good luck everyone!  
I have had this problem about 20 years now. It's just off and on and I've gone years ... until yesterday, without having it. I don't have the pain, bloating etc just the burps. I can rule out the appendix and gall bladder as a cause since I don't have either one any more. I'm going to my family doctor this morning so I'll run it by him tho the last doctor I asked about it said it was a "tummy virus that baby's get that clears it's self up after a few days". I think I'll try the probiotic, maybe some Activia yogurt. Anything is worth a try. I just sympathize with my husband for having to be enclosed in a car with me for the 1 hr trip there and and the 1 hr trip back!
I started having this problem when I was about 17-18 yrs. old.  (I'm 25 now)  Never understood what caused it, still don't, but a friend of mine I was staying with had the same "eggy burps", minus the pain.  From then on, I experienced one of these episodes maybe just 2 times a year on and off for a couple of years.  It used to be really bad.  I would feel fine, then I would have an urge to burp, and I then I tasted it.... and knew that I was in for it later on.  I would have awful painful gas, felt like it was just trapped, sitting in my stomach with nowhere to go.  I could literally feel and hear the gas building and building and I would be so scared about how painful it would get.  Usually nothing would help... not gas-x, not pepto, nothing.  I would just have to wait it out for usually 24 hrs.  I would have explosive diarrhea, sometimes it would be almost black in color.  And I got to where I would hold my nose when I burped bc I would give anything to not have to smell it!  It made me want to vomit if I smelled my burp.  I eventually started to realize that the burp smelled like what comes out the other end... yeah, yuck I know.  I would have to throw up so bad, but I avoided it at all costs bc I knew just how foul it would smell and taste, and I couldn't handle it.  Eventually, the episodes came less and less, and I think I probably went a whole 2-3 years without it happening.  Then last year, right after Christmas, I was sitting at the computer and I felt a burp coming on, and not thinking anything of it I let it rip..... and I tasted a hint of that familiar, God-awful, dreaded eggy burp.  I panicked and immediately went online to google my symptoms in hope of finding a way to prevent it.... and that's when I found all of you guys experiencing the same awful stuff!  Someone had mentioned that she drank white vinegar mixed with water when she experienced the first burp, and she claimed it would halt it in its tracks.  She said you had to drink it at the first sign though.  I went straight to the kitchen and mixed some white vinegar and water (had to hold my nose while I downed it) and I never had another eggy burp in that episode!  I was so ecstatic about it!  But anyway, it has never happened again until this morning, about a year later after I learned of the vinegar/water remedy.  I woke up, had an upset stomach, not really gassy yet, and I got up thinking I just needed to use the bathroom and it happened... The Burp.  I started freakin out thinking the vinegar wouldn't work since I was already experiencing stomach pain, but I went and drank some, and I still had about 1-2 hrs. of mild gas pains and nausea and burping, but it soon went away.  Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded, but I wish I knew what caused this.  I just thought I'd shared the wonderful info I found about the white vinegar and water..... it has really helped me!
All of you describe the symptoms of Giardiasis.
Way more common that people realise - a really horrible intestinal parasite.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Giardiasis/Pages/Causes.aspx

The nasty eggy wind is rarely mentioned in documents relating to Giardiasis - yet it is a unique symptom of the condition.
Also - contrary to much of the documentation - it is not just a problem in third world countries - it is a problem which is also rife in the western world.
Wow, sufferers unite!

I am 35 yrs old and have had this issue on and off for about 2 years now. Most recent bout was in July 2010 while at Special Olympics National Games in Lincoln, NE. That night a shot of Phenergan was the only relief I received. Symptoms are pretty much the same as you other poor souls:

1) Rotten egg burps followed by
2) Vomiting and Diarrhea all the while suffering from
3) Severely bloated stomach and lack of sleep  

Tests I have been given include:

1) Ultrasound on my gall bladder
2) CT Scan of Lower abdominal area
3) Upper GI (that paddle with the balloon in it - HATE IT)
4) HIDA scan
5) Stool sample for Giardia
6) Been tested for Diabetes/Hypoglycemia
7) Some sort of scan to look at my Appendix

All tests came back negative, and I'm pretty irritated at the entire medical community. You people go to school for like 20 years and you cant figure this one out? If it happened to Oprah I bet your butt there would be a cure real quick . . . but I digress :)

Yes, it is a horrible existence. Nobody has a clue and I have racked up THOUSANDS of $$$ in medical bills - even with insurance!

I pray for you all and hope that someday maybe one of us will end up on "Mystery Diagnosis" or something so we can all go "HA! I knew it!" and show the episode to our (supposedly educated) physicians.

Keep up the good fight!

Viva Le Resistance!!!
A single stool sample for Giardia is no good.
Generally several samples will need to be taken in order to find evidence in the form of a 'cyst'.
I just posted on a related thread and was directed here.  My girlfriend said I was too gassy.  Symptoms were incredibly malodorous gas, bloating, massive volume of gas …just a terrible way to live.  So, I started tracking: (i) the number of farts per hour, every hour, from 6 a.m. to midnight and (ii) EVERYTHING I ate.  I did this for over three months, day in and day out, with no end in sight.  ...until a couple of out of town trips, changed my diet in an unpredictable way, and hastened a conclusion to this monumental work.  

The study results are in!  The malic acid that some jerk at Tropicana decided to add to the OJ makes me fart!  (Not all orange juice has this effect…just where malic acid is added as an ingredient…check the label).  Cutting malic acid out of my diet cut farts per day from 40 to less than 10.  I will not regale you with my scientific knowledge but here is what I read on a couple of websites:  

Malic acid encourages bacteria production during the fermentation of fruits and vegetables.

During malolactic fermentation, bacteria convert malic acid into lactic acid. As malic acid transforms, the overall acidity decreases and a less "tart" flavor develops.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/17338-malic-acid/

Malolactic conversion is accomplished by lactic acid bacteria (such as Oenococcus oeni), which consume malic acid to liberate energy.  Chemically, malolactic fermentation is a decarboxylation, which means that carbon dioxide is liberated in the process.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malolactic_fermentation

So, what should YOU do?  You may want to check the labels and see if malic acid has the same noxious effects on you as it did on me.  But, more generally, you could conduct your own mini study of cause and effect between (i) your symptoms and (ii) the foods you consume.  (Your doc would want to know this anyway).  

Cheers,
No-More-Malic-Acid : )  
Like a lot of you, I am here while currently suffering.  I've had rotten egg type burps before, but nothing noteworthy until last month when I had an episode of sulfur burping, severe stomach pain, nausea, gas, and urgent stools (sometimes loose) that lasted 4-5 days.  At first I blamed it on the eggs I had eaten the day before, but the duration and severity of pain made me worry about possible gall or pancreas stones.  Then it all went away as abruptly as it had begun.  Problem solved.

Not.  

A couple of weeks later, here I am, day 3 of round 2, in constant pain, looking for answers or at least some suggestions.  I am leaning toward the bacteria theory and will ask my doctor for Flagyl if this doesn't end soon.  My husband is supposed to bring home some Pepto tonight.  The last thing I ate before it started this time was leftover spaghetti and garlic bread from the day before.  Others in my family have since eaten these leftovers with no problems, but I can't bring myself to try it again.

The pain fluctuates from 7-9 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being "go to the ER." It reminds me of having a kidney stone.  It's the first thing I notice in the morning, although I am able to sleep through the night.  For me, changing positions or moving doesn't make a difference, but a heating pad/hot bottle does help a little.  Eating sometimes makes the pain a little less and no worse, no matter what the food is.  I've been drinking Pepsi, because Pepsi stimulates burping and relieves pressure while neutralizing the egginess for me.  I had fillet-o-fish for lunch today and felt a lot better when the warm food hit my stomach.

Reading these posts, I wonder if taking smaller bites and chewing more would help food leave the stomach even if it isn't digested, because normally small items make it through without being completely digested, like some pill capsules and nuts, etc.  

(BTW, I looked up the jody who posted on the earlier thread to see if she had any follow up advice.  She had posted her age as 27 then 48 then 36 within about a year's time, so although she may have had some valid ideas, I wouldn't place any bets on them.)
I too suffer from the same rotten egg burps, diarrhea and vomiting, been through upper and lower GI, LFT and a million other tests and no Dr can tell me what the problem is.

The one thing that I found that fixes the problem is taking Acidophilus and Papaya Complex  take as directed  for a week to 10 days and no more burps, diarrhea or vomiting and I feel much better, Acidophilus and Papaya Complex can be found at your local health food or drug store.

TRY IT TODAY!!
I may have found a cure for some.

I suffered from the rotten egg burps, followed by severe abdominal pain, then often vomiting and sometimes diarrhoea, for more than 5 years. In my case I know that it was contagious - I first came down with it a week after visiting a family whose child had had the same condition for a number of years (with unknown cause) and subsequently 2 years later passed it on to my sister who came down with it about 5 days after I visited her. I had had every test in the book, seen numerous specialists, including 4 gastroenterologists(one a Uni professor, another an internationally recognised specialist), 2 infectious diseases specialists, one allergist/immunologist, 2 naturopaths, 1 homeopath, 1 kinesiologist and I am sure others I have lost count of. I contacted medical researchers about drug resistant giardia and it's treatment, and spent all up over $17,000 on trying to find the cause/cure. I did a lot of my own research too, looking at my symptoms and the things that helped. The only abnormality that was ever detected in any of my extensive tests (from abdominal scans to endoscopies to repeated stool tests, blood tests etc etc) was low lactase in my duodenum, ie I am lactose intolerant. I went on a very strict gluten and lactose free diet for a year and experienced the same symptoms with regular monotony. A stool test that was sent to the US indicated parasitic DNA of unknown type - one dr said this meant nothing, another said this meant there was some parasite of unknown identity in my stools (the lab said the same thing). The only thing that ever helped me was making myself vomit as soon as I started to get the eggy burps then not eating until the burps went away. Sometimes this took days.  I often found that I would vomit a small amount of something I had eaten many hours previously - the longest was 36 hours previously - and that often it was in it's complete and recogniseable form ie was not at all digested. This could be a piece of carrot, or meat or bread - quite unbelievable.
This suggested  to me that the sulfurous gas was produced by the food rotting in the stomach as it is not broken down by normal stomach acid. I found that high protein meals (eg beans or meat) eaten earlier would in many cases make the egg burps/bout much worse - and the byproduct of protein breakdown is sulphurous gas. My own guess is that there is some kind of parasite that is as yet not known by medicine, that has a certain life cycle and during some part of it causes the acid production in the stomach to be "switched off". Just as H pylori (which I tested negative for), a bacteria doctors never expected to be able to survive in the acidic environment of the stomach, induces ulcers by upping the acid in the stomach, I believe there is something that temporarily reduces acid production. I read of one woman's experience that a high dose of acidic Vit C stopped future recurrences and tried this myself but it did not work. So I decided to try the acid tablets my naturopath had recommended I take as part of increasing my digestive function. These contain porcine betaine and hydrochloric acid (8 grains). I took one table at the start of my second last bout as soon as the egg burps started, then another 4 hours later. It stopped that episode in its tracks (my bouts typically lasted anything between 1 and 6 days). I had one further episode about 8 weeks later and took 2 tablets instead of one (with water, nothing else). Another two tablets about ?6 hours later. I have been free of sulphur burps and vomiting and diarrhoea bouts for so long now I can't remember the last time I had it - and this is after suffering a bout approx every 6-8 weeks for many years. I should say I also had a bout of the rotten egg burps/vomitting when I was about 10 but nothing again until I visited that family some 30 years later.
I don't believe that everyone who gets sulphurous burps has the same thing that I did. And I am not a dr but I would think that HCl acid tablets would be dangerous for people who have ulcers or if the burps are caused by undiagnosed HPylori (which I have read is possible, as acid mixed with bile produces sulphurous gas). So I would not recommend people just try this remedy if they have not been fully investigated by a doctor first - the tablets may do more harm than good otherwise. It was a last resort for me. I am sharing it because it actually worked for me (touch wood will have rid me of the thing forever), and know just how miserable and depressed and despairing the illness and the inability to find the cause/cure made me. I hope this helps - it would be interesting if people do try it and have success ( or even if they don't) post back, just to see if it works for others. My sister has not yet had a bout to try it with (she has always had it less frequently than me) and I have lost contact with the family with the child I caught it from. I did try to get one of the gastro's to get interested in investigating a new parasite, but no takers.
My thoughts are with you all, may you all heal from this horrible thing,

Ive had lots of tests done on my stomach as I get this a lot and it turns out it is my digestive system is slack. So everynow and then if I don't sleep well or am ill I will get this. It is also related to food allergies I am super crazy allergic to MSG Which in number form are anything in 600's. It apparently is super common and also known as 'chinese allergy' as a lot of chinese and takeaways have msg in it (it is a flavor inhancer)
\I am not at the stage of having an episode. Only way I know for it to go away is either starve myself until I am so bloated I vomit and get rid of all the rotten food in my stomach or eat until it's so bad I vomit it all up. I have learned it is from food fermenting in your stomach and not digesting.  Glad to see I am not the only one!!
i'm happy and sad to have found this page. it's nice to know i'm not the only one who suffers from this odd ball "thing". i get the sulfur burps after i wake up, about an hour after that the diarreha starts. crazy gas and bloating too. it usually lasts for 36-48 hours but i have had episodes that lst 4 days or more. a week ago i had a colonoscopy, all results negative except for signs of diverticuloso (precurser to diverticulitus), many small pockets lining the colon/intestine. about a day after the colonoscopy the pain started. so now the gi doc thinks it's diverticulitus and has prescribed 2 strong antibiotics that i need to start today.
on top off all this yesterday i started feeling feverish and had really bad chills and some body aches.

i really hope he's right. i've only had this for a few months. i feel really sorry for all the folks that have had this for many years.
I have had these Furps (fart burps) for 25 years. They occur about once a year, lasting usually one night, I have had bouts that last for days. Used to think it was egg products (mayo, etc) nope. Then maybe other foods. I've tracked this for years to no avail, no patterns no one thing that sets it off. Doctors have not a clue. I have found some sort of correlation with constipation - of the few surgeries I've had(vas, removal of a cyst, minor stuff) that led to taking pain killers which leads to constipation and then ultimately this Furp. Only remedy is to get it out. As soon as I notice the furp coming on, I drink a ton of water (20oz or so) lay down and wait or will myself to start vomitting. Everything has to come out before i get relief. It almost always come out reverse of how it went in and almost completely undigested as if the stomach acid faucet was turned off. One common detail that I have noticed over the years is sugar. Yesterday I had a pack of M&Ms, a few hours later a milk shake with my kids as a treat for getting their flu shots, then invited to dinner at the cracker barrel with family and had a cheeseburger & fries (something I almost never eat) and immediately felt way too full for way too long, bloaty, and a few hours later the furps start. I new what I was in for so I chugged some water, waited and about 1am started throwing it all up, burger, fries, milkshake in that order. I think maybe the sugar neutralized the acids drying out the stomach of digestive fluids and then almost blocks everything from passing on. Or was it maybe the grease? I have had an episode from Chilis buffalo chick sammy that the grease was the culprit. since that episode, I can tell if the grease/oil by taste will set it off and will steer clear of it. The day after such an episode (just like today) I will eat nothing, have no appetite, sip gatorade and water (mixed to dilute), maybe have a bowl of cream of wheat late in the day. Almost every bout has been from restaurant food, not always but 75% of the time. And then I never go back. My Father had it but said he grew out of it in his 60s. His advice is "ride it out"......I rather just puke it out. Yep, it *****, glad I'm not alone, misery does love company.
Ok, I have read almost every one of the posts on this forum. My husband suffers from this as well (right now in fact) and we have had no luck in finding out what the problem could be. So far he has only ever had the gas and major bloating, although this time he ended up with diarreha. He has never had the pain or upset stomach or any of those other problems. He has only been getting this for the last couple years, and only every once in a while. He seems perfectly fine except for the fact that he has these disgusting burps and/or farts. We have tried eliminating foods we though might be causing it, taking medications such as pepto, beano etc, and his doctor wanted to give him some pill that he would have to take for the rest of his life. None of these have helped in any way and it's really starting to get on his nerves. He doesn't take any medications or have any health issues other than this so we are at a loss as to what the problem could be. Anyone have a suggestion?
I have suffered with this for a few years on an off ,I am 48 and at 44 was diagniosed with Hemochromatosis which is your body stores to much iron  a small town doctor checked my ferritin that's how they found it well everything you eat has iron so anything processed or red meat , wild game etc makes me bloat and have pain and bad burps  ***@**** if you have any questions be happy to help janet vancouver
   I have had this same problem. It actually turned out to be a food intolerance for me. I can't eat onions.
   This started for me at the beginning of the year and it took a few episodes before I figured out it was the onions. Any form of onion (powder, cooked, fresh, etc.) causes problems for me to varying degrees. It ranges from just sulfuric burps, gas, and diarrhea to vomiting multiple times a night including the previous symptoms. It's a real challenge to stay away from onions since they're in so many foods especially at restaurants, but I've been doing well at avoiding them. Best of luck!
I am a 34 yeard old man, and I have had the same problem for nearly 5 years.  I don't take any medicines (not even tylenol, etc) and have no other known medical conditions.  My symptoms include any variation of sulphur egg burps, diarrhea, intense abdominal pain, vomiting until nothing is left, "bubbling" and noisy stomach, back aches, body aches, tiredness, sometimes foamy vomit/diarrhea near the end.  Never lasts more than 24 hours for me.  Sometimes fever, cold/hot spells.  Burps start in middle of day and vomiting starts in middle of night and last all night into the next morning.  The burps stink 10X worse than anything out my rear.  I always know it's coming when that first sulphur burp occurs. I believe my first attacks (3 or 4 in a couple months) that occured 5 years ago were stress related.  One bout had abdominal pain so bad that I could not breathe properly, started hyper-ventilating, and somehow drove from work to the closest Patient 1st facility.  I was rushed to the back immediately.  They did some tests, included a diarrhea stool sample, which all showed nothing.  I was sent away with no answers and they looked at me like I was a hypochondriac (which I am not at all).  My a-hole supervisor was replaced and I didn't have a bout for several months.  However, I do not believe any of the bouts since (once every 4-6 months) are stress related at all.  I am known to have stinky breath even after brushing teeth, scope, etc, and wonder if there is any link?  Another stretch = this all started when my daughter was 1.5 years old and diagnosed with severe autism (people with autism have "abnormal gut" problems, they digest/absorb food differently)...link???       Laying down always makes it worse.  Standing or sitting helps a little.  I dont think it is a virus or disease like Giardia, as my household members have never had it, just me, not my autistic daughter either.  Wierd thing is I hear my brother who i stopped communicating with before this started has been having a lot of stomach problems and to the hospital, etc, with no answers also.  I am up tonight (4am) after Thanksgiving with all the symptoms except vomiting.  Only a very few times has the vomiting NOT occured, so my fingers are crossed.  I read a post about taking a couple Advil when the burps start and before the abdominal pain.  I took two Advil a couple hours ago after the abdominal pain already started and it reduced the pain and so far I haven't felt like I needed to vomit.  Guess I'll pay the doc a visit and mention Giardia / H.Pylori / Gastroperesis / Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth / etc...  Seems like I'll be giving them too many options to give me a rinky-dink answer.  Will be only the second time I have sought medical help (first being the embarrassment at Patient 1st).  From the many posts I have read here and elswhere online, the outlook is bleak...
I'm googling this myself atm..sounds like you have enlarged or fatty liver with the pain in the right side also the fatigue...I have the same issues and that's what I was diagnosed with..have an ultrasound done to check your liver,,,the egg thing is new for me so wondering if that ties in with it as well. good luck and hope this was some help
try going gluten free for a while, I'm willing to put money on that being a food sensitivity reaction.
if you can go gluten free do it. nobody can properly process gluten and some people are more susceptible to the adverse affects of trying to let the partially digested gluten particles through your intestine. either way your health should improve dramatically if you are willing to do it.
how did you cut gluten out of your life?
I used to have them when I was young everytime I ate boiled eggs. So I stopped eating boiled eggs and never had them since. I eat fried and sometimes scrambled eggs and don't experience in any burbs related to the eggs whatsoever.
The sulfuric smell is from the yolk and it usually come about because you are consuming the yolk of the egg while it's still Intact, whether runny or well cooked. But once mixed in with the egg white, it's somewhat diluted and does not have the same effect.
Hope that helps.
Hi. I'm only 15 years old, and I get these all the time! They gross me out so much! And every time I tell my mom, or my brother, like trying to explain them, and ask if they get them as well. They think I'm crazy. So, I've kind of given up talking to them about it. I got them this morning, which is the reason I'm posting a comment on it now. I called my mom because she had already left for work and I was waiting to walk down to the bus stop. And she told me to take Gas-X, saying that it would help. I hate the way it tastes, but I took it. Didn't help a bit. Usually when I get them, I drink some water, and take a nap. So, that's what I did. I waited for my brother to leave for school, and went to my room and layed down. That was around...8:30, and I just wore up. I do have some diarrhea, but nothing bad. And when I woke up, the eggy taste was gone! Hope this helps? If not, thanks for listening.
Hi plz can any1 help me in the last 2.days iv had a really bad sore tummy inbetween my rib cage top of my tummy iv started having eggy burps nasty but when I eat I can onley have a couple of mouth fulls I'm full straight away not normal iv bin stressed latley badley of my none careing partner iv also got my left leg in pain sumthing eles new my tummy now is like a washing machine on spin with pain its bringing tears 2 my eyes n lastnight my head waz hurting so bad I'm worried as I dnt no Wats wrong with me I do have ibs n I'm allways constipated iv no energy n Im not sleeping as any1 had dis our got it now cause its bloody horrible thanku
READ THIS POST:  All of you did a splendid job in describing these truly horrendous attacks.  Mine were identical so I’ll skip all that.  It was disheartening to find that no one has really found solid medical answers or a cure.  That’s all we really want.  After much suffering, I have been able to stop the attacks once they start and have now been able to pretty much prevent them altogether.  First I’m going to tell you what is working for me and then I’ll summarize what others have said works for them in this long blog. Read my personal history below, but bottom line, after exhaustive testing the medical doctors weren’t helping and had no clue what was wrong.  I went to an Indian woman who practices Iridology (reading your eyes and tongue) for some 35 years.  I don’t really believe in much of that, but what she prescribed has eliminated these attacks in full.  She told me to take 2 tablespoons of creamed papaya with every meal and at bedtime. She also told me to drink aloe vera juice. I was very skeptical, but I’d try ANYTHING to stop these episodes.  The papaya has completely worked.  The only attacks I’ve had in the last 6 months have been when I’ve run out of papaya or quit taking it.  I quit one time as a control study to see of the attacks returned.  After about 7-10 days without the creamed papaya, sure enough they did.  I started the papaya again and no attacks since.  It has been a life-savings to me and I recommend everyone to try it and see if it works for them.  I take Healthmate creamed papaya that I get at a local health food store for about $13 for the big size.  It tastes nasty and I hate it, but it works and I won’t go without it again.  I’ve since dropped the aloe vera juice, but it can’t hurt you either. One other post briefly mentioned papaya, but I’m shouting it out to you. Just try it. It worked for me.   This is a major preventative.  I’ve never had another attack while actively taking it on a daily basis.  I’m not sure why it works, but it obviously takes care of the Volatile Organic Compounds that I believe are responsible.

Now for stopping an attack once the burps have started.  I’ve only been successful in stopping or significantly reducing the attack on three occasions.  All three times I took an Axert pill when the burps started.  Axert is a migraine medicine (same as Immitrex). I’ve suffered migraines my whole life, but my migraines never caused nausea or caused me to vomit. However, in my research under Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome, I read that this condition could be closely related, almost a migraine for the stomach.  My gastroenterologist always thought that the episodes were caused by a temporary blockage that somehow eventually relieved itself.  He also said that the stomach stops digesting when someone has a migraine.   So there may be a link.  I didn’t have a migraine when I took the Axert medicine for the attack, but it did successfully stop it each time I’ve tried it.  That’s really the only way I’ve ever stopped the attack once one has started.  One time with the Axert I drank white vinegar per one of the other posts.  I drank about a cup of vinegar.  It was pretty sour in my stomach. Yuck.  I really think it was the Axert and not the vinegar, but give vinegar a try.

I do believe the attacks have a lot to do digestion and organic compounds.  What else could smell that bad!  Bottom line-you have to do everything you can to stop these.  Take the creamed papaya, and then add a good probiotic capsule every day.  Eat the cup of yogurt.  Do it all and get past this.  Ask your doctor for a prescription of Axert or Immitrex and see if it stops one in progress. I hope this information helps all of you. Try it and report back with your results.  Maybe we can help a lot of people.

Others in this blog have recommended white vinegar and honey, Metronidazole (an antibiotic for anaerobic bacteria or protozoa), treatment for pyloric stenosis, flat coke and arrow root biscuits, good probiotics like Align, fermented orange peels, something about porcine betaine or betaine hydrochloric acid (back read on that one).

Just so you know that I’m not a quack, here my story:  I’m a 42 year old male. Other than migraines, I’ve been extremely healthy all my life. I was hit with these attacks twice in early 2010.  They were spread apart and I just thought I had some stomach bug.  But then after Thanksgiving I started getting the attacks every two weeks like clockwork. I’d start off with the burps (farts of the mouth was the best description I read) and then would have the vomiting and diarrhea a couple of hours later.  My attacks lasted a solid 24 hours.  I’d be pretty tired the day after and then I’d be perfectly fine after that until the next attack came.  I hate tasting every burp to see if it’s a bad one.  You know what I’m talking about.  Anyway, one attack was so bad, I basically passed out on the men’s room floor in the hospital. So Gross!-but a great way to get past the line in the ER. I immediately went to a gastroenterologist.   We did a catscan, an ultrasound, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, a capsule endoscopy, blood work, several nuclear tests, a billiary scan, a series 7 x-ray during an attack, and probably several other things I don’t recall now.  Everything they could think of. They ended up taking out my gall bladder (no stones) and my appendix.  However, two weeks after surgery I was back hugging the commode for dear life.  My brother is an Internist and I worked with him some too.  They didn’t have a clue what was wrong.  My brother thought maybe it was a something, something pseudo obstruction, which was exceptionally rare and didn’t have much hope for a medical resolution.  They also thought I had a Meckel’s Diverticulum and wanted to operate to take that out. The surgeon didn’t think it would help so I passed on that surgery.  I tell you this just so you know I’m not some quack that only believes in homeopathic medicine. I spent a fortune and did all the normal medical stuff.    I recommend you do to, just to make sure it’s not something else. In the end, they never came up with anything wrong and didn’t have a clue what to do next.  Then I started the papaya and haven’t really needed to go back to see them. My bet is still on the papaya.  I pray that it helps you like it has me.  If it does, say a quick blessing over me and we’ll be even. 

Thanks for your comment.  It has made the most sense to me out of all of them.  My husband pushes the pepto (or whatever equivalent) on me as soon as I go into the burps/diarrhea, but I agree completely that whatever toxin is inside me MUST be let out asap.
For me, I think that it's eggs, and I've been very successful managing egg-avoidance for over 15 years.  However, TODAY, I'm sure that I ate no egg at all.  I'm pretty sure I have some kind of sulfur intolerance, and I'd like to find out more about what foods contain sulfur in a form similar to that in egg.  I suspect that cheerios were the culprit today (but I only ate about 8 of them).
Do you have any more information about the sulfur thing?  If so, I'd like to know!!!
I have spent ages looking into this problem of Eggy Burps, swollen painful tummy and then hours of vomiting and diarhea (diarrhea) until i am completely empty.

Then for what ever reason for the few day leading on from the event im almost scared of eating as i do not wish for the experience to return.

Today 01/03/2012 was the latest episode and i may be on to something. Let me continue. Ive been using a diet app on my iphone for the last six weeks keeping a calorie count each day of no more than 1865 calories and i keep a full record of everything i eat.

I have just discovered that in my diet i eat alot of pork in the form of Bacon sandwiches, Pork Chops Etc Etc. During my research i have found that pork cannot be digested properly due to the histamine that our very own bodies release. The body thinks its being poisoned and as part of it defense it releases these histamine to fight.

During this battle the digesitive system closes down and then rejects any food currently in the body until it is empty. I am unsure of the medical term however you will vomit until the stomach is empty and you will have diarhea (diarrhea) until your bowel empties.

It would be interesting for me personally if anyone else has the same issues or conclusions. There are also a number of other foods which it states i may be intollerable to eat such as Banana, Strawberries, Chocolate, Shellfish, Pork and Beef fat, smoked fish and Pork.

Let me know if anyone agrees, i look forward to hearing from you all
i suffer from these bad bouts of eggy burps, and really bad vomiting and bad diaerohhea, and quiet luterally i can feel the build up of gas inside me. basically it sometimes happens to me the evening after a night out? im 100% sure that eating after a night out (kebabs or burgers or chicken) is the main factor in the lead up to my attacks of this? but saying that, when i wake up after a night out i feel fine (albeit have a hangover), and its not till the evening that i get my attacks of burps and vomiting and diaerohea. i do eat a lunch and a dinner on the day after my night out, and i dont think my body has recovered getting the toxins from the alcohol out of my body, thus not digesting the food properly that has gone into my stomach... i must admit, the small lactose drinks do help me though.
I've been getting these nasty rotten fart burps for as long as I can remember. It started after my whole family got some kind of food poisoning when we went to Europe (I was 9 at the time). I'm 16 years old now and still continue suffering from these burps. It used to happen only about once or twice a year but recently I've been getting them once a week :(. It's truly an embarrassing, stressful thing and I empathize with all of you who have to deal with this. My diet is mainly vegan and I honestly don't remember the last time I had eggs. These smelly belches keep me up all morning/night. I start feeling some discomfort and gas in my upper abdomen, and the next thing you know, I'll be burping up these rancid farts within the next 6-12 hours depending on the severity. Mild nausea, bloating, and loose stools immediately follow. I usually take a papaya digestive enzyme and a piece of crystallized ginger to suck on to relieve the slight nausea and bloating. I also take acidophilus on a daily basis, but the rotten egg burps still persist. I had an endoscopy about a year ago and diagnosis was GERD with eosinophilic/allergic esophagitis. These conditions may play a role in my case but I'm not 100 percent certain. I've always had a slow digestive tract and tend to feel full easily. I thought I had gastroparasis (I hope that's how you spell it), but the barium swallow proved me wrong. I'm going to be going for more tests soon to make sure. There could be so many ailments that can mimic the symptoms that come with the rotten egg burps. It's just so hard to pinpoint the exact cause. It may possibly be a food intolerance that conventional allergy testing (skin *****/patch) cannot detect as it only looks for IgE reactions. These usually lead to severe symptoms such as anaphylaxis. But the late response, food intolerance related symptoms (IgG reaction) are not (currently) being tested for. As a result, I'm going to the naturopathic and running blood tests that could identify food allergies because doctors and medication has been no help. I hope someone finds an end to this. It would improve the lives of so many.
sounds like a stomach too high in acid combined with the wrong yeasts.  really, acidophilus and/or a good yeast fighting remedy should help.  Candida can manifest in all sorts of ways.  It is very common. Everyone has the candida bacteria.  Western diets are prone to a higher count of candida bacteria because of the amount of coffee or tea we drink (or fermented beverages --wine, beer, alcohol) and also, sugar and grains.  It can develop into itches, diarreah (diarrhea), nausea, indigestion, and weird gas or burps. The main thing to do is change your diet and eliminate sugars, alcohol and anything yeasty.  yeast & sugar feeds candida overgrowth. You want to minimize the overgrowth and fill the body's gut flora with healthy flora --hence, yoghurt (non sugar yoghurt) and/or acidopholus.  
Also, do not take antibiotics...it will worsen matters.
For quick relief
grapefruit seed extract
garlic tablets or chewed garlic
and read up on healthy ways to balance the body's gut flora.
Stress always exacerbates candida overgrowth.
I think I have solved it.

I had some great barbecued chicken once and it started.

Burps so foul that it literally cleared the room. (This should be in caps.)
Next day water diarrhea so bad I thought I was a rocket takeing off.
Bloating in the abdomen so it felt hard.
No vomiting.

It took four days to finally calm down. But it came back.

My wife noticed it was whenever I ate chicken. Went off chicken totally for two weeks and so far so good.

I do have type II diabetes and am very lactose intolerant.

I hope this helps someone. I feel it was improperly handled chicken that devoloped some type of bacteria growth that loves chicken.
I think I have solved it.

No vomiting.

I am so relieved to have read all the comments and feel so bad for all of you that are suffering. My 17 year old daughter suffers from this condition and I mean suffers. It is debilitating, for at least 24 hours, she misses school and is in bed for the day. The burping not only smells awful but is painful as they come up, then the diarrhea starts and she can't stop!
Her Dr. perscribed Prevacid, but it doesn't seem to help at all! I did read today about Pepto, so we gave that a try.
There has to be an answer and a cure for this awful condition!
I guess my next step is to have her tested for h-pyloric and giardia.
As a Mom, I feel so helpless and it gives me piece of mind to know there are so many others out there with the same condition.
Thank you also much for your suggestions and words of wisdom!
I have had the same symptoms as well the eggy burps, gas, and extreme bloating. Then a few days later the diarrhea occurs. I tend to have this problem late at night. I am actually having an episode now at 2:30 am. I thought the cause was due to stress because when this whole ordeal begin I had lost my job. Then when I found work the problem went away but I have gotten the symptoms back again and it seems to flare up when I was having stress issue but not tonight I had no stress. I did however had milk and cookies before bed. I also thought maybe food related but the food diary didn't help. I have also notice when I will start back on drinking soda's that it happens. I can't go to the Dr. because I don't have insurance. Sometimes to relieve the pain I will make myself throw up. I also have found sucking a peppermint does help. I pray that Dr's will futher investigate this issue and listen to us about our problem.
Krystal
I did not take the time to read each and every comment here, but am addressing those who suffer from the horrible violent vomiting attacks that come and go after a period of having the horrible sulfer rotten egg burps.  I started having this when I was 17 years old.  I am now 44.  I have had numerous tests by gastroenterologists including ct scans, ultrasounds, barium tests, IV Contrasts, endoscopies, colonoscopies, blood tests, you name it.  All tests came back normal every time.  I only had these episodes maybe 3-4 times a year on average until this year.  I have had 9 attacks in the past 2 months and have just recently stumbled upon the cause.  It is called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and is a variant of abdominal migraine.  I am taking a trial migraine medication when the attack first starts and I vomit once and then I'm done.  Completely.  This is huge in comparison to being completely debilitated for a day and a half to 2 days of chronic violent retching type vomiting.  I see a neurologist next week who will likely put me on a preventative migraine medication.  By the way, none of the doctors discovered what was wrong with me.  I came upon the information myself and provided them with the possibility and they are apologizing all over the place for not thinking of this which I think is really sad.  I hope this helps at least a few of you who are experiencing this because it is truly horrible.  Good Luck.
I have only had this problem for a little over a year now. It comes and goes, but I've noticed that it ALWAYS happens when I eat late at night. I'm not talking a cookie or two. More like a bowl of cereal or something more. For while I've suspected nuts as well. No definitive there yet. When I went to the doctor he immediately wrote off any sort of parasite because I have not be out of the country or been around anyone who has. He recommend I have my galbladder tested for its level of function on how well it was extracting stomach bile. I never had the test done though. I've noticed that when I wake up with them if I sleep in for a few hours extra they subside. But If I have to get up and go, I end up miserable and it does result in diahreah later on that day. Today I am miserable, so I was just checking to see if there were any new answers to the problem. :(
Hi Van,

Not sure if you will get this or not, but I wanted to try. I am now 24-years-old and have been dealing with this problem since I turned 21. I have seen countless allergists with no luck on a successful diagnosis. Recently I met a doctor who suggested I may have a tyramine allergy (all fermented foods and those with preservatives). Since avoiding all those things I have been doing well, however, I noticed if I eat leftovers (especially hamburgers) I become uncomfortable.

Your enzyme explanation makes sense though. Did you see a regular family doctor or an allergist?

Thanks in advance,
Marisa
Hi all to you all, and my deepest sympathies to everyone suffering from this problem!! I believe I have a cure for this dreadful condition but I have to break this post in half so please bear with me:)

I woke up this morning with the dreadfull and much maligned "rotten egg burbs" accompanied with bloating, diarrhea and the feeling of vomiting - I have not vomited yet thankfully and my symptoms are now subsiding after a probiotic treatment of Kefir and Kombucha - for those of you who are not familiar with these two forms of tea Kefir is a type of probiotic usually sold in Health food stores as a liquid "yogurt" and Kombucha is also sold at health food stores as a probiotic health drink usually in the form of tea - Kefir can also be made as a tea - both are very easy to make yourself at home as well and are excellent support for the digestive track and immune system

I understand that many people on this forum are probably looking for a medical diagnosis and some form of medical treatment to overcome such a condition. I unfortunately am not able to provide such a solution to people as I am not a doctor, but for those of you who are open to alternative methods of treatment I have 10 years of experience in alternative medicines, namely acupuncture, kinesiology, herbology, and energy work.

Without getting in to a huge post about the problems with western medicine and dealing with chronic conditions I will say that it comes as no surprise to me that so many people have gone to their doctors with absolutely no results. Therefor I thought that perhaps there might be some amongst you willing to try alternative methods of diagnosis and treatment.

I am not a doctor!! That being said I have successfully treated myself of this condition and believe I know what is going on with my own body. Your body is your own and any advice you take from this post should also be checked with your doctor.

I myself had this problem throughout my teens. It went away for many many years but came back last night for reasons I will explain. Basically over the past few days I have been very bad to my body. It started by eating fast food for two days in a row and then topping it off with a sugar binge last night - woke up this morning with a solid rock in my gut, diarrhea, and the feeling like I was going to vomit - and lets not forget the best part of all - Toxic burps that literally woke my girlfriend up from sleep!!

So what the hell happened??

It is to me a simple thing, but may not seem so simple once explained - I am going to try to keep this as short and too the point as possible. The digestive system is a very sensitive system and can easily be upset by a number of factors - eating highly refined foods like sugars, yeast, glutens, heavy fats and protiens and others have a very debilitating effect on our digestion and the rest of our bodies. Our digestion can easily get overwhelmed by these things and when it does a whole assortment of things can occur. Needless to say our bodies are not evolved or designed to be on a constant diet of refined foods - and we all pay the price for it daily

so to say it simply this condition is a serious sign that your digestive track has been thrown way out of balance and is no longer functioning as it should be when dealing with certain foods or any food for that matter. The digestive track can be thrown off for any number of reasons, and every person is a little different so discovering what it is that upsets your tract is vital if you want to get over this. Furthermore these things can change pretty readily - one day a McDonalds burger is okay and then the next time your burping and pooping and have no idea why!! Sometimes your stomach can handle something sometimes it cant. This only serves to add to a persons  frustration and  confusion - especially when doctors provide no answers

To understand what is happening one should understand a bit about the digestive system and how it works. This condition is related specifically to three important parts in your body that aid in digestion and the subsequent failure of one or all of these parts working properly in your digestive tract resulting in undigested food in your gut.

1. The pancreas
2. The gallbladder
3. intestinal flora/fauna

1. The Pancreas
2. The Gallbladder
3. Flora and Fauna (probiotics)

I will give a basic breakdown of these three parts and their function.

1. The Pancreas: Probably one of the most important parts of the digestive tract (pancreatic cancer is one of the WORST cancers to get and anybody with this condition on a chronic basis should have their pancreas checked ASAP!!!) The pancreas is responsible for producing the enzymes that digest pretty much everything we eat. What most people don't know is that there are only three types of enzymes used in this process: Enzymes for fats, Enzymes for Protiens, and Enzymes for Sugars/Carbs

The #1 reason a person suffers from this condition is because their pancreas is on overload and is not producing enough enzymes to keep up with your eating habits. Pay attention here!! figure out which ones of the three; Fats, Protiens, or Sugars, seem to bring on a negetive reaction and cut those foods back from your diet ( you don't need to rid yourself entirely just cut back) - also find some good enzymes at any health food store and take them as a supplement with any meal containing these trigger foods - or better yet, take them with any meal regardless

The pancreas has to build up enzymes and will begin to run low if you are eating rich foods that require a lot of enzymes to break down - taking enzyme supplements and cutting back on rich foods gives your pancreas a break and allows it to build those enzymes back up - this is also a big reason why some foods can trigger at one time and not another - most the time your pancreas should have enough enzymes, but bad diet and other things like stress can over tax the pancreas and you will run low on enzymes - put a rich food into your stomach without enough enzymes to break it down and guess what happens;)

I personally eat a lot of sugar regularly - so I know my enzymes for sugar are being taxed heavily - after my sugar binge last night I have nobody to blame but myself for putting my body through that and it is letting me know what is up today!!

2. The Gallbladder:  and to some degree the stomach, also produce enzymes for digestion. The gallbladder produces bile which is used to break down fats - fats are extremelly hard to break down so the body not only uses enzymes from the pancreas but also uses bile to break up fats into a digestible state

The stomach produces acids instead of enzymes to break up protiens and amino acids which are also tough to digest and require some pretty nasty acids to get to -

if either of these are out of balance you may find fatty and protien rich foods (often these are combined) to be the culprits - the cure is the same as the pancreas - more digestive enzymes especially the ones used to break up fats and protiens are necessary - and again if you have a doctor have them do a check on your pancreas enzyme levels

3. Flora and Fauna: as most people are aware of to some degree, your gut is filled to the brim with living organisms that help you digest your food - this is your flora/fauna and most of these organisms live in a symbiotic state with us. That means that they work together with our own body to form a mutually beneficial relationship: we provide these organisms with a place to live, feed, and breed; and they provide us with the nutrients we need from our foods. Unfortunately the gut also provides a safe haven for a whole host of things that can also be damaging. All of us have heard of stomach and intestinal worms and parasites and such. Few of us actually understand much about how important having a healthy flora and fauna in our gut is to our over all health and well being.

I will keep this short and to the point and let the reader take responsibility for their education on this subject - but if you are suffering from this condition (especially involving sugars/carbs) it is almost assured that your flora/fauna is out of balance and needs some help!!

One of the biggest culprits for throwing our flora/fauna out of balance is yeasts ...as I have explained above the pancreas/gallbladder/stomach are responsible for most of the break down of fats and protiens for absorbtion into the body by our flora/fauna - without the help from these organs things like fats and protiens would take a lot longer for our flora/fauna to be able to digest themselves, and the process would be not only be slower but you guessed it - much gassier and probably leave a mess to exit the back door (or do the opposite and clog you up) -

Sugars/carbs on the other hand are a different matter - these things are absolutely loved by most the flora/fauna in your body and they will digest them readily without much help from the body - none the less, the pancreas still produces enzymes to help break down some of the more complex carbohydrates. If you eat a lot of heavy carbs and don't produce enough enzymes to deal with them your flora/fauna will again cause bloating and gas - although you will probably pass this with only minor discomfort, any condition more serious than a little cramping and gas is a sign of deeper problems in carb rich diets

and that brings me back to yeast - as well as other parasitical problems with the gut which should also be checked out - yeast feeds mostly on sugars and carbs and can wreak havoc on your flora/fauna systems. Have your yeast levels checked by a doctor if you eat a lot of sugars/carbs and have these problems. Yeast produces all sorts of gasses and by products that are toxic for the body to deal with, Yeast plays a small supportive role in our digestive system, but when it gets out of control it can wreak havoc

gluten allergies, as well as candida are all caused by yeast imbalances - breads and other high carb foods almost always contain a ton of yeast in them. Simple sugars like sodas and candy can make your yeast go out of control within hours of consumption.

again I will try to keep this to the point: if you notice that you are triggered more by sugars than you are by fats/protiens this is a flora/fauna thing and should be contained with probiotics and lots of them!!

Opposed to having a lack of enzymes in which a person can simply stop eating something for a while or cut it from their diet to get rid of the problem; It is extremely difficult to get rid of flora/fauna imbalances simply by cutting things out of your diet - if the yeast is there and stops getting gluten or sugar it will find something else to feed on - it is a very tiring and extremely long process to cut everything you are use to eating out of your diet to try and kill off flora/fauna in your gut that isn't helping you - and many people simply fail to do so and end up resigning to live their lives in discomfort just to eat the foods they like

the solution to this is PROBIOTICS!! - you cannot take too many, and the more you take the better - you have to build up your beneficial flora/fauna so it can compete (there is a war inside your gut!!)with the yeast and other parasitic organisms that are taking your gut over. When you have more probiotics in your gut than you do yeast and other parasites your system will begin to return to normal again

Also - antibiotics are notorious for throwing off our flora/fauna (the reason doctors say eat yogurt after taking them) so if you have taken a lot of antibiotic medications in your life time you might want to seriously consider this

good sources of probiotics are of course yogurt, and as I mentioned before Kefir and Kombucha - Raw foods also contain a number of probiotics and should be eatin daily. You can also find an assortment of probiotics in the form of dietary supplements but I personally do no feel they work as well as foods with real live cultures already in them.

and Just as a case report for all of you - when I sat down to write this I was feeling like I was about to vomit and squirting out my arse every five minutes - it was horrible!! Knowing that this was caused by my sugar binge last night I opened up one of my home brewed bottles of Kefir tea and started drinking it and now as I sit here typing the final words to this post I am feeling 100% better:) - Kefir eats sugars up like a hungry beast and cleared out about a half pound of gummy bears, fruit sours, and jelly beans coupled with chocolate bar and a bag of MMs - and turned it all into something my body can actually handle

no more burbs and no more poops - it took about 1 hr and for the next few days I will treat my tummy with the TLC it deserves!! -

I do not expect it to come back again:)

Good luck to all of you I hope the information I have provided is helpfull:)
wow, can i say that this whole link has put a smile on my face!
not bc of the awful symptoms i have which u all have, the g-d awful rotten/sulfur /egg burps, (someone said mouth farts! brilliant way of describing it) or the gas feeling in my stomach, and the sometimes vomiting and the WORST symptom to me. which is the G-D AWFUL  diarehia!! , the watery non stop disgusting diarehia!!.
first gastrologist was  a complete JERK, dismissed me as being an alarmints and just reacting like a crazy person, did stool test told me I had Hpyloric and needed antiboitics (but bc i was breasfeeding my 2 month old baby, I had to wait till I had finished to take the medicine).

I went to another gastrologist and he was niceer, really listen to me , did the endocoscopy and the sigmonosopy, tested me for Celiac diease. he told me that the endocospy said i did NOT have H.pyloric or Celiac D,  but mild gastritis and told me I  just have a "spostic colon" and i need a high fiber diet.

from what I read of IBS, I DO NOT HAVE IBS!........... which is disharteneing bc like everyone else I am just looking for a REASON A CAUSE a DIAGNOSIS of the problem!....

being that I dont know what it is or what is going on, i have just been eating better (yes, alot of high fiber) and staying away from things that aggravate gastritis: caffeine, chocolate, spices, acid, alcohol, tomatoes...)

thank g-d I have been feeling a lot better, but i dont like the feeling of "not kwowing" whats going on and worst the feeling of dread when i go to sleep,bc i dont know if I will wake up with "THIS NIGHTMARE" again.

and this is why I am so glad i found this link and all you guys, not only bc it makes such a difference to know you are not alone, and ur not crazy and their are OTHERS outhere who suffer like you, but bc many of you are giving us hope with your own conclusions, and your own diagnosis and your own treatmentS!
you bet i will try the papaya, and you bet i am printing out the explanation from  medicine man and really taking that to heart!

I just wanted to thank you all out there who suffer like I do, for your support
may g-d help us ALL get better soon!!

<3

I know the cure. It's really simple. It requires no prescription or any tests. The cure is digestive enzymes. I'm serious. I tried so many other things and tried these pills i had by accident. I almost was going to keep quiet about this but i want to help everyone that was in my shoes. I'm using Now's Super Enzymes. It has what other pills have alone, but all together and it's pretty cheap on amazon. Take one of these pills with every meal and you'll see. Let me know what happens. I think you'll be happy! email me at ***@****. My doctor agreed with using these pills and also said try apple cider vinegar pills or the liquid.
I too have this problem suddenly after just starting a long course of Diflacan for a yeast infection. Just thought I would tell you since you mentioned that in your Post!
This sounds aboout right to me, I am going through a huge attack of candida and Im on a mega dose of Diflacan, so this makes sense to me. Thanks will try it out...gonna go get some Organic whole fat plain Nancys Yogurt. Thank You
I've had terrible sulfur burps with vomiting and bloating three or four times in the past couple of months, but I'm learning how to control it. I felt it come on  around 5 this morning, although I hadn't been able to sleep well all night and I'm sure that was the start. I noticed the sulfur burps when I got up, and had a lot of gas built up in my stomach. I did a salt water flush (drink 1 quart of warm water with 2 teaspoons non-iodized salt). This doesn't feel great when you do it, as it is flushing straight through your body, but it washes out your intestinal tract. The sulfur burps stopped! I still felt extremely bloated and terrible, but the burps are normally the worst part for me (disgusting), so I was happy to be rid of them! I also didn't eat until about 6 tonight, when my stomach had felt better for a few hours. Last time, I ate throughout the day and threw it all up. I believe that this condition might be caused by temporary gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach). I noticed that even though I drank about 44 ounces of liquid before 9, I didn't have to urinate until about 3 in the afternoon, which is definitely not normal for me. The liquid also made me feel full all day; I could feel it sloshing around in my stomach. Previously, whenever I would throw up during one of these incidents, the food would be completely undigested hours later.
Last year, I had a problem with burping a LOT, no rotten smell to it at this point. After about a day of it, I smoked some weed and it was gone the next day so I didn't think much of it.

This year, about a week ago it started - the sulfury smell/taste. It's so awful! Plus had the most horrible diarrhea as well.. Then yesterday, the burps start coming every 30 seconds or so. Not always a "burp" per say, sometimes just air coming up.. If that makes sense, it's hard to describe. And the horrible, horrible taste/smell. Eggy, sulfury, just awful..

So I've been wondering what to do about this for about 8 days now, and last night it hit me - maybe if I smoke some weed, it will help - because it helped that one time last year.. So I went ahead and smoked out last night and now this morning, I am a million times better. The bloating is gone! Just gone! it's amazing. There is still a hint of the sulfury taste, but I think it's in my head - it's no where NEAR as intense. No urge to burp, no stomach ache.. Even after a light breakfast. Idk if this has taken the problem away or just alleviated it a bit, or if maybe it's just a new morning and I'm better now. But in any case it can't hurt to try if you can get a prescription or something. At the very least it made me be able to rest last night and made me not notice the sulfur taste which was a great relief.

The first time this happened last year, I had smoke a decent Sativa. This year, a very good indica. I would say the indica is the best help because of how much it just relaxed my whole body.

Anyways hope this helps and my utmost sympathy to all of us suffering from this condition, it really is torturous imo.. I hope someone can find a definite answer.
I get them sometimes. Not very much now that I am older. They always happen to me when I eat too much and my tummy gets upset. It's pretty much telling you that your tummy is upset don't put anything in it. Just take some pepto and sprite. That works :)
I have been suffering from this since I was seven. (I am now 24.) something that always helps me is to take a dose of LIQUID pepto bismol! :) not the tablets though.... those and tums or rolaids seem to make it worse! hope it helps you!!!
Metronidazol works for me too, and I take it in the exact same way as you do. Good to know that Im not the only one.
We have found an end to this horrible non permanent disorder.
The cycle we put ourselves through eat food, bloat, sickness and eggy burps then take meds.

We, my wife and I suffered from this since 2008 after getting food poisioning in the Netherlands and after more than 15 visits to the doctors for tests for IBS, Ulcers and other such diseases and ailments.

We took action and this is what we did...

1. Visited a nutritional expert to be tested for food intolerances.
2. Answered lots of embarrassing questions.
3. Listened and was surprised at the results.
4. Put into action what we had learnt.
5. Slowly saw change over a period of six months.

We have been symptom free for twelve months.

My wife was tested for 150 foods and 30 vitamins and minerals. My wifes results were intolerance to the following foods. Potato, yeast, pork, batter, gluten, diary, wheat, onion, cod, cordial especially blackcurrant and ribina peaches and lager and beet root.

I was tested intolerant to yeast, pork, wheat, sardines, steak, cheese, tea, lentils, oranges and orange juice, apricot, and pistachio nuts. I was also lacking as my wife was in good gut flora and a number of vitamins and minerals.

We have cut out the foods that we have intolerances to and have noted early on that pork and chicken bring back the dreaded eggy burps. After consulting with the nutritionist once more we found out that two much protein in the diet causes the same thing. We was advised to have only 20-30% protein whilst eating each meal the rest should be made up of veg etc etc.

We also take a number of supplements daily

1.manuka honey one tablespoon each morning.
2. Omega 3 oils.(I take this)
3. Optibac (wife takes this)

Please note this will not be a resolve for everyone however if one person reads this and makes the change and has success. Please share it.
I used to be so ill with this until I read about someone using Pepto Bismol, the next 3 times i had the burps i took pepto bismol immediately which prevented it going into vomiting and diahorrea, and then it stopped completely.  But I still keep a bottle in the fridge in case it ever comes back.
i did the same thing just to try and it always worked however i have never had the vomiting that others have had just the annoying burps  
Some really good info on this here...
http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/sulfur-and-egg-smelling-burps-causes-and-home-remedies.html
Hi everyone!
One day i was at my grandmothers house. I ate crisps, a hamburger and fries.  
The day after i woke up and got these strange really disgusting burps. I have tried everything but it just won't go away. I do not vomit or get diarrhea when i got these burps, i only burp. When burping, people around me moves away from me. It is really awkward. I have suffered from this two times before this one (The moment i am writing this i am having these burps).
That was all from me!
(Sorry for my bad english, I live in sweden that is why my english is mediocre. Also i'm only thirteen years old).
Last week I had one of these episodes but I ate pizza and then the Burps started and then the Vomiting, but I vomited up the Pizza that was all broken down and so very very thick that I could barely get it up and out.  (I am deathly afraid of vomiting because 12 years ago I ended up Aspirating). I don't know if that would be considered being digested enough to pass or not but I also was strapped with Diarrhea!  So it seems things were going or coming out both ends very well.
I have had this problem a few times over the past year or so. I usually take a large dose (5 or 6 big pills) of activated charcoal (get it at a natural food store or health store like GNC) as soon as the burps start, and it seems to get things back in order fairly quickly.

I have read posts from others about antacids sometimes working slowly and anti-histamines sometimes working, and I have a theory of what is happening and why charcoal works. I think what is happening is that some contaminant (possibly different contaminants in different individuals) is producing an auto-immune response in the stomach causing the pyloric valve to stay closed, trapping all the food in your stomach. The trapped food rots, becomes noxious, and produces toxins that eventually cause vomiting. In the normal course of the condition one would have to vomit until the original contaminants are removed so that the pyloric valve begins to function again. The charcoal works by acting as a filter in the stomach, absorbing both the toxins and the contaminants, thus allowing the pyloric valve to resume normal functions without the need to vomit. As soon as the valve begins functioning again the noxious burps end because the source has left the stomach. The diarrhea will still come because by the time the burps begin to smell the contents of the stomach are of no use to the rest of the GI tract and are passed through too quickly for the water to be reabsorbed in the colon. However, if you catch and treat the stomach problem early the intensity and duration of the diarrhea can also be reduced.

CAUTION: Activated charcoal should be used only as a remedy, not as a regimen. Prolonged use may cause malnutrition due to its absorbency robbing the body of nutrients from your food.

I am posting this here because I am curious as to whether this will work across the board or if it is just coincidental that it seems to work for me. If it only works for me than my theory is probably incorrect. Please post a reply if you try this and let me know if it works for you.
I cannot believe there are so many others who suffer with this as well. When I was pregnant with my last child 14 years ago this was a major problem for me. I went through the same battery of test as the rest of you with no results. The doctors seemed to just write it off and gave me no way of dealing with it. It always started with the foul eggy burps, then bloating and just feeling like my belly would explode. Then nasty vomiting and diarrhea. I always hated throwing up, but at least it eventually bought me some relief. I threw up so much with my last round of this during my pregnancy that they actually thought all the vomiting started my labor. Now after nearly 12 years with no issues, it appears this has returned and is trying to make up for lost time. It has been comforting knowing I am not going through this alone. When the doctor's cant help it is scary. Thanks to everyone for sharing. It has helped me feel better. At least mentally~
Like so many others on this page for the last, what, six years, I too am astounded to see how many suffer from this condition, and claim to have suffered from it since childhood.  
What I find so interesting here is a common theme among age groups.  Many of the people who suffer from this are 20-40ish, have had recurring issues since childhood, and, the most interesting part is that there is not one clear diagnosis for most - which means that the condition, if we all are suffering from the same thing, is relatively new to the medical world.
My symptoms are still the same eggy / sulphuric burps, abdominal swelling, and gas.  I used to get sick with this all of the time as a child, and it would lead to all the typical stomach flu symptoms.  It seemed to happen most often around the Easter holiday (happy memories, let me tell you, I still can't look at pretty pastel colors without wanting to gag).  I already thought about eggs, but I eat them every day and can have deviled eggs without a problem.  Since the burps are so gross, I did consider onions as a possibility, but since I got the burps today and had little to no onions yesterday, I'm going to rule that one out.  
So, since this has been a recurring thing for me, that pretty much rules out parasites, and I am going to fall into the "food you can't digest" camp, because I definitely don't have a blockage (had a BM today).  But I will go one further than that.  Due to the fact that this has been happening in the last twenty years, I feel that genetic engineering might play a huge role here.  
Genetic engineering has been ongoing since the 1970s, roughly, and genetically modified crops have been in our food system since at least the 90s.  Has anyone else noticed that all of a sudden, everyone seems to have a gluten allergy?  
Gluten, the outer casing of grains, has been in our agriculture since the dawn of human crop cultivation.  Hell, it is what got us through the last ice age (just watch "Guns, Germs and Steel").  For a huge percentile of the human population to have a gluten allergy in the last 10 years seems somewhat auspicious, don't you think?
In brief, here is the low-down on gluten and GMOs:
Gluten is the outer casing on grains - bran.  Brown rice, wheat, etc.  Bran is supposed to be healthy, right?  Full of fiber and whatnot, right?  Well, genetic engineering has changed the make-up of these grains.  And most recently, chemical companies best left nameless have modified grains to be resistant to pesticides and herbicides.  This means that farmers can spray their Roundup on their crops, and while the Roundup will kill the weeds, it won't kill the crops.  The Roundup will hit the outer casing of the grain, the bran, and be absorbed into the crop without killing it.  People, we are eating Roundup.  How could our bodies possibly not react to ingesting poison that is meant to kill plants?  I don't believe that the massive use of Roundup Ready crops and the sudden development of gluten allergies are a coincidence.  They can't be.
What makes me bring this up is the fact that today was my first "eggy burps" since I was a kid.  Throughout most of my twenty to thirty something adulthood, I have worked immensely hard to go organic (no chemicals, no genetic engineering) as much as humanly possible.  But since yesterday, I have been on vacation and had limited access to organic foods, and consumed quite a bit of "conventional" based floured goods like donuts and pasta.  That was the only change in my diet.  
Hopefully my diet was varied enough so that I don't get the full on flu like symptoms that evacuate the digestive track at both ends.  
So those of you who get the frequent "eggy burps", analyzing your diet definitely seems like the way to go.  And if you don't want to go gluten free (I really can't blame you, I love pastries and breads, too) then try organic instead.  Meats, too, because the animals we eat were the first ones fed the genetically modified grains (and they suffer from chronic illnesses now, too).  
Not to be on a soap box, or anything, but I have done a lot of research on the subject, especially after having various medical conditions including cancer happen in my family, and after my doctors haven't been able to help me at all throughout my whole life (tested for IBS and ulcers as a child), I've decided to take knowledge and prevention into my own hands.
My brother died of colon cancer in his early fifties.  He ate nothing but fast food and Diet Coke for the majority of his adult life.  I hadn't seen him in a year or two, and when I did, he had this huge pregnant looking belly.  He wasn't obese, it was just his gut.  Not long after that, he got his fourth stage cancer diagnosis, and he passed away in around a year, less than a year after our dad died.  He didn't smoke or drink, all he ate was junk.  
It kind of makes you think.  We really are what we eat.  
But you could even eat a bunch of fruit and vegetables and think you're eating healthy, but grapes and peaches have the highest counts of pesticides absorbed in their skins above any other fruit - pesticides which often lead to thyroid conditions and various childhood diseases.  
Everyone in my family has a thyroid condition.  
Except me.  Knock on wood.
Organic is the only way.  Sure, it's expensive, but blame the government for that - they charge the certification fees, but subsidize the GMO farmers.  Just look at who is in charge of the FDA, for crying out loud.  
And what's more expensive, buying organic produce, or radiation and chemo treatments?

Good luck and best wishes to you all.
-KM  
Hi all, fellow sufferer here.

I have just joined this forum to say that the white with water trick really worked for me,the instruction is to take it just as you get your first burp but I took it well into an attack and it helped no end.

Cheers BJMsmom!
Sorry,meant to say white vinegar with water,it's not very nice but I've had worse wines.
I have just gotten over the worst episode of this I have ever had!

I am now certain I know what is causing it for me, batter.
Pancake day last Tuesday I went mad on them and by weds night I was ill,went through the motions of it all and by fri night i'm feeling better and starving,so I had Chinese food which involved a fair bit of batter,by sat night i'm ill again.
The first time I had this problem was after a Chinese meal,i'm sure it's batter that;s my problem,might be the end of takeaway food for me.

I have been drinking pro biotic drinks and they seem to have helped a lot and I;m feeling the best I have for months, I took the advice of a poster on here that said to drink as many as it takes, TRY IT.
Sorry to keep posting like this but I know that one day someone else will google "smelly burps" and this thread will come up.

Well it's been nearly a 5 days and I really think I;ve cracked it,for those that have tried cutting out batter before make sure your definitely cutting it out because I now think I had  previous attacks due to oven chjps coated in a kind of batter,for those that haven't tried it,do. It could be something to do with thee rawness of the batter,I don't remember getting ill after onion bhaji which is always well done batter as with fish and chips.

Whilst I have been taking plant enzymes as well as drinking pro biotic I remain convinced it was batter for me.
I have had this problem for a while and assumed it was something in my diet that made it happen. I get the sulfur burps and pain but not diarrhoea, and not usually vomiting. I saw a comment here that made me realise a possible cause, malic acid. It was lucky as I am 16 and live in England, where some American sweets are quite rare, one example being jolly ranchers, which i found in a shop recently and ate during the day before an occurrence of the burps and contain malic acid. I thought it was something else until I saw that post.  I will try cutting it out of my diet but it may just be a coincidence or a different reason.