Gastroenterology Community
runny nose during bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

runny nose during bowel movement

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this- My nose runs excessively during a bowel movement than when it is over it quits running - I have always had bowel issues but this has just started happening in the last 4 months- it is really weird!!
I never heard of   that.  Very werid. Im sure its nothing serious. Call your doctor and ask what they think. Im concern now.........lol
I just started doing that too. Did you find out why from your doctor?
I work in the disability services, I have a client that this happens to every time she opens her bowels, hers stops as soon as she has finished also. It is a very useful tool for us staff because she does not speak, this lets us know when to let her sit and complete.  We have often wondered if it has some thing to do with a pressure releasing action of the brain? She can often go many days without going at all, requiring medical intervention.
For years my nose has gotten moister (and easier to blow) during a bowel movement. I have wondered, since bowel movements are most natural in the morning, if this isn't nature's way of helping you out. The bowel movement clears your lower intestine and also triggers release of something--chemical, enzyme, little men with squirt guns--that aids in clearing out your sinuses. It seems like there ought to be an interesting medical study here.
I've had this happen for many years. In fact, it will often start before my body even signals me that I will soon need to use the restroom. I don't even think about it anymore,
Since I was a child I have "cried" when I have a bowel movement - seems like that would be similar to the runny nose issue.  Would love to hear an explanation of both!
I have the same problem. I am just glad that I am not the only one with this odd problem. I was beginning to think that I was going crazy.
I have the same thing. For some reason I connect it to elevated blood pressure. For me It started at age 35 when my blood pressure got up. I know that my father (76 now) has this as long as I can remember him and yes he started to have high blood pressure while young. My mother, dough, had particularly low blood pressure till very late age and she never had such an experience.(those are my observations only)
Wow.  I always say that with the Internet, nobody is ever alone with an issue, and this is again proof.  I have the same issue, and have really only noticed it in past few years, not even sure how long.  I'm currently 44, and I don't think it was happening before 40.  I was thinking more of some sort of allergen around commodes.  Mine will continue to run until I am out of the vacinity of the commode, not when I've finished a BM.  I too am diabetic, and have a history of Asthma, although it doesn't give me problems any longer, it was bad as a child.  I still have allergies, which is why I thought it was an allergic thing.
My body responds the same way, and I am amazed there isn't a medical explanation anywhere to be found on the Internet, since it's apparently a common physiological response. And I do believe that's what it is, since it happens in any bathroom, any place. If it were an allergic response to a cleaner or deodorizer, as has been suggested by some, it would happen only in my own bathroom. (And, to confirm what someone else posted, it starts before I ever get into the bathroom!) From the number of people whose bodies respond this way, I think we can rest assured that it's nothing to be concerned about.
Well to take it one step further, not only does my nose run but I feel like I have a real heavy cold during any lengthy time on the loo which goes away once I'm finished
Will somebody from the medical listen and respond
The same thing  happens to me. (Incidentally, I have high blood pressure but am naturally thin and small, but take a beta blocker (50 mg) once per day).

At first, I thought it was some sort of allergic response; I'm wondering still if it might be gluten intolerance. Without fail, my nose will plug up overnight, but I won't often feel the urge to sneeze, it's just congestion. Once I get moving around, I'll have to go to the bathroom but my nose will run (or sometimes, stay excessively congested) until I finish in the bathroom and things in my sinuses loosen up only after I am finished.

I also suffer with generalized anxiety disorder; I'm not sure if this is related to my responses. Anyway, it's good to know I'm not alone!
You can add me to the list.  If I get stuck on the pot for a long time, I end up with a sore nose from blowing it so much.  It just won't stop.  I would love to hear a medical reason for this.
I have been suffering from a Candida overgrowth for about 18 months now, no doubt longer, but that's the length of time I've had elevated symptoms, and this is one of them. The Candida is probably a symptom of something else, not yet diagnosed, but I feel that my runny nose during a bowel movement is my body's way of trying to rid myself of this thing however it can. Whatever causes it, it does seem to be a waste mechanism. And many people have a Candida overgrowth and don't know it.
Sounds like it could be due to a vagal response. Nerve crosstalk so to speak.
I've had it forever, and am now 54.  Before the "URGE" it starts with a runy nose, then eyes.  During my meditation time, the eyes will sometimes really tear up.  

I've had high blood pressure since I was 19, so perhaps there is some relationship.

Even upon being gassy, sometimes my sinus will drain and I will become teary.

On a funny note, sometimes I really cry when it is a work of art!!!!  ;-)
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2007.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
Add me to the list too!  After years of having to blow my nose just before and during a bowel movement, I resorted to Google to find out what the heck. As soon as my bathroom visit is over, the running of the NOSE stops. I've wondered if it is related to thyroid disease.  
I think this may have to do with the foods you are eating.  Maybe it is because you are sensitive or allergic to certain foods or, because you are eating spicy foods.  
This is amazing. I have been having this for about 3 years. I am a Polio survivor, and am age 63. When my heart starts to beat fast, I know I must use the toilet. It's like a signal. I can be at the computer and not even be aware I need to go and the fast heart starts. Then as I am on the toilet, my nose starts draining as if I had a bad cold. I grab the tissues fast!
I thought it was just me, so I am at least glad to see I am not alone in this.

Maybe this has something to do with the vagus nerve rather than blood pressure, as my blood pressure is usually 110/60. As soon as I finish going, my heart slows and my nose stops running.
I'm 54, and noticed this only a few weeks ago that the nose starts to run as soon as the bowl movement starts.  For years I have had to blow my nose after going, but never made the connection in my head.   Before I read this thread I theorized that some chemical in the fumes was causing the nose to run - and that the runny nose was a defense mechanism against pathogens, etc.  
Had suffered this problem since I was a young girl- even had my glands removed because I blamed them for my stuffy nose! Yes,it gets very stuffy when I need to open my bowels,it is so embarrasing,I had to leave my college!The whole thing ruined my live!And no doctor was able to explain the problem!
I've had this happen for at least 20 years. I'm 50 years old.
Doesn't happen every time. Doesn't seem to be related to fumes.
I don't have high blood pressure. Never had trouble with allergys (allergies).
For at least a year my nose has been running when i poop. It drips. I have to blow it and at very least wipe it.  In the last week or two my husband's nose has started dripping & running every time he eats. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and no matter what type of food. It appears to be the same reaction my body has to getting rid of the food. We are turning into quite the pair! I wish we could find a real answer and/or solution.
I also experience this. Could it be due to caffeine/ coffee?  Or what about cigarettes?
This is a phenom that happen to me too, however, I believe it is related to the nerve that control the bowel is vagus nerve and stimulating it causes a vasovagal response that causes the nose to run.
JUST A THEORY OF MINE.
My nose runs when I poop. My eyes also water sometimes. This is not a bad thing. Dr. Oz actually addressed this when asked if this is normal. He described it as a parasympathetic release and said not only is it normal, it’s one of the necessary functions for cleansing out junk. There are only so many ways the body can eliminate toxins. You either poop, pee, cough or sweat it out. One action commonly triggers another, and we should all be grateful for this. When you sleep, the body detoxes. When you wake, the body is ready to eliminate these toxins. We jumpstart this by drinking a glass of water, a cup of coffee, stretching, taking a few deep breaths, having a cigarette, etc. The idea is that we’re getting the body moving internally. If you’ve ever dieted, detoxed or started an exercise regimen, you may have noticed a substantial uptick in bowel movements, urination, lymphatic cleansing or sweating. Your body is thanking you for finally stimulating the cleansing process via diet and exercise. I’m happy when a good poop makes my nose run. It makes me feel better and cleans me out. Mucus is eliminated rectally and lymphatically. The two go hand in hand. If you’ve noticed only a recent uptick in nose runs while pooping, you may be able to attribute this, at least in part, to eating an unhealthy diet and not exercising enough. If you’ve recently started taking better care of yourself, your body is pushing out the old stuff. This is all good news. The typical American diet is loaded with excess sugars, hormones, preservatives, etc. This builds up toxins, candida and mucus. If you don’t excrete small amounts consistently via healthy diet and exercise, the body waits for a good chance to excrete what it can. Nothing stimulates the cleansing process better than a good bowel movement. My girlfriend makes muesli and we eat out of the same batch throughout the week. I have a few bowls per day, and it keeps my system clean…so clean, in fact, that sometimes I have to slow down because I can feel the after-effects and tummy tenderness from the soluble and insoluble fibers cleansing and scrubbing my system. The muesli helps me poop 2-3 times per day, so I always feel light. I usually go an hour after a meal. When I first began the regimen, my nose would always run when I pooped, because I was eliminating a lot of old buildup. Now my nose runs less, because my system is generally cleaner. I still get a runny nose in the morning with my first bowel movement though. But then again, if I have anything to cough up, it’s early in the morning. Also, our bodies have been sweating out toxins all night…they’re just sitting on the surface waiting to be washed off. Same with morning breath…toxins in the system pushed up and waiting on the tongue to be washed away. If I go on, I’ll become less and less scientific and lose credibility; I’m not a doctor or nutritionist. The point is, we should all be so lucky to have such an efficient cleansing system. The alternative would be to become impacted, dehydrated, lethargic, irritable, toxic and eventually die. If you want to feel better and make it easier on the system, drink more water, eat lighter foods more often in smaller servings, and get a little aerobic and anaerobic exercise in on a regular basis. Then, think yourself healthier and visualize your new and improved self. And when your nose runs, be grateful!
(I’ve seen this question asked in several places; will repost on a few different sites.)
I agree. This is  most likely a physiological response to the act of deficating. Although the reason behind the body's response eludes me. You can surmise that this mucus release is not just limited to the olfactory gland, but likely occurs throughout the gastrointestinal tract for lubrication reaons. It's just that we notice it more because it's more obvious to the person when his or her nose runs. A possible way to support this is to examine if there is a higher frequency of rhinorhea (runny nose) in  persons who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You would expect a higher incidence of rhinorhea on deification in IBS suffers.
It's due to smooth muscle contraction, the body signals the bowel to secrete mucosa as the muscles contract and relax to pass the feces. The same chemical signal stimulates tears and runny nose. You may even salivate a little. That's all, nothing more. See acetylcholine muscarinic/nicotinic effects for more info
This is unbelievable that so many people has the same reaction and no one really knows the answer.  I am 52 YOA I have been having this problem now for over 5 years.  I am very regular and usually do my business in the morning when I wake up.  It does not matter which bathroom I am using, my nose starts dripping and then I have to start blowing the mucus out of my nose continuously for about 1 hour after the BM.
I also have had this a few years where my nose runs when I poop. My legs used to shake a lot. They don't do that anymore. I'm 41 and I have bad sinus issues but clogged not running.
I have this too - sometimes really bad - also started in middle age - I'm wondering if this is adenoviridae sytemic infection from mucous membranes to colon and parasympathetic response in folks who are becoming immunosuppressed with age, that manifests when the stool decends to the lower colon.  Essentially a secondary infection of the common cold/adeno virus to the membranes of the colon and resulting "cold-like" reaction that then manifests with the presence of stool.   Any docs out there want to take a shot at this?  
I've had this for YEARS!   An allergist about 10 or 15 years ago said, "Oh, that's ......." and I forget the name. It's driving me nuts that I can't remember what he called it but apparently this situation where a person's sinuses run when they're having a bowell movement is much more common than people understand. There IS an official medical name for this "syndrome" or condition but so far on the internet I can't find it. Mostly all I find are people's rude and STUPID comments about this situation. I've also seen some of THE dumbest "reasons" for this mankind could possibly create.  
Running nose or leaky nose during bowel movement is a symptom of an irritated and/or dysfunctional digestive system, but mainly the colon.  If you're susceptible to candida overgrowth, diarrhea, constipation or similar symptoms on a regular basis then this symptom is one of many others you probably have.  Things I'd recommend to deal with this issue:  eat smaller meals; drink more water; take probiotics; consider a colon cleanse like Colon Hydrotherapy; consider colon friendly supplements like Aloe Vera in liquid form.
I'm very well acquainted with these symptoms and consulted doctors and naturopathic doctors alike.  My experience tells me that MDs know very little about preventative medicine and not much more about the colon.
Hope this helps.
I finally decided to look this up after about two years of dealing with it. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!

In my case, as soon as I'm standing after getting out of bed, it starts. If I just lie there, nothing happens, but once I've vertical, the nose blowing starts like the worst cold you can imagine. My issue differs from what I'm hearing in a way that I will try to describe without being gross.

Once I go to the bathroom and release a pretty solid piece of waste, the runny nose settles down but doesn't go away. About 10 to 20 minutes later, I need to go again. This time, it's a bit less solid. After that, the "cold" ends.

This started at the age of 57 for me. At the time of this writing, I'm 59. I want to thank everyone for posting their experiences. I certainly don't feel so all alone now.
In Kundalini Yoga, there is an energy channel that connects the rectum with the 3rd eye and sinuses.  Activity in the root chakra (rectum, perineum) can stimulate activity in the 3rd eye.  http://www.****.com
after I totally ****** out all the poop, My sinus completely clears up  !!!!
feels great after I a totally poop out.
It might be a type of rhinitis. Some types run in families. My dad had gustatory rhinitis (nose runs while and after eating a meal) and so do I as does one of my brothers. I also have a runny nose after a BM. These types of rhinitis are harmless, a nuisance at most. Allergy medicines don't lessen it, so I just deal with it. If you have allergies, you'll have allergic rhinitis. Google "rhinitis" and the first non-sponsored hit will probably be from Wikipedia, which will give you a few basics. Also check other articles on specific types of rhinitis.  
hi, I'm so pleased to read your contribution as it most closely resembles my daily experience. when i wake I am ok until I get out of bed. Just getting upright can be the trigger. But it doesn't always happen. Sometimes it waits til I NEED THE LOO, THEN THE SNEEZES ARE OVERTAKEN BY PROFUSE RUNNY NOSE, FEELING LIKE A HAVE A COLD. i have iri=ritable bowel and the runny nose mirrors it = SUBSIDES, just leaves nose feeling slightly stuffed up, for a few minutes or hours, returns with a vengeance each time I go to the loo. when the sneezes abate and my head clears, I KNOW i'm finished in the bathroom for a while.  It's like a dual clear out.  I also sneeze violently after eating, usually 3 very big sneezes that leave me feeling bunged up and flu like, just for 5 minutes then it settles.  I read about gustatory rhinitis and overeating but I sneeze sometimes just by having a drink of water, and as I said earlier, just getting out of bed can start it off.  Occasionally, just a couple of times a year, I FEEL FULL OF A COLD FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS, BUNGED UP AND SNEEZING, BUT NOT A TRUE COLD and it stops suddenly like a light going out. all very weird but such a relief to find that other people have similar experiences.  I have mentioned to GP  who stared blankly and had never heard of it and I felt like I was being thought of as over anxious or hysterical.  I also have fibromyalgia, IBS, osteoarthritis, small nerve neuropathy, mild sleep apnoe, fluctuating BP.  All low key issues but the sum of them makes life uphill. do you think diet plays a part regards?
I have the same experience you do when it comes to the bathroom...not so much the sneezing as the profuse runny nose. Only happens if there's BM, not if just urinating. Afterwards, I blow my nose and it goes away, until next time.

Also after I eat...same runny nose situation. I don't know if specific foods in the diet will trigger the rhinitis. It seems to happen regardless of what I eat or when. If it only happened at a certain meal, like breakfast, then it would be easier to narrow down, but that's not the case.

I also have mild neuropathy in my legs and feet at night, as well as arthritis, but I don't believe either is connected to the rhinitis. Have you checked to see if anyone else in your family, living or dead, has had rhinitis? It can run in families...it is/has been present on my dad's side of the family, but not my mom's.
I think it is the sinus' way of keeping bacteria from entering your lungs.  After all, the odor that comes from you feces carries fecal bacteria in it (in larger molecules).  So if your nose is wet and draining, it traps the fecal bacteria molecules from entering your lungs.  And, as you sniff, you end up swallowing that bacteria but that will not hurt you because your saliva and stomach enzymes will kill it.