Gastroenterology Community
salmonella

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

salmonella

i  was the diagnosed with salmonella at the end of january and given antibiotics. i gave another bowel sample last week and results today show i still have salmonella. i have been prescribed ciproflaxacino and sulfintestin now for 10 days. Can you tell me if this the correct medication as i am concerned the bug is getting stronger and i do not like to take so many antibiotics

Thank you
Mokita
What happened? I was diagnosed with Salmonella B and put on antibiotics as well. I go back to the doctor about 10 days from now to retest BM sample. How long did you have symptoms? I had them for about 5-6 weeks, some days worse than others.

Did you second round of treatment cure it? I now notice a slight discomfort when touching the side of my neck. Maybe unrelated, but very sensitive to things as a result in general.

Cheers
I had symptoms of loose bowels and lower stomach pains since November, i live in Spain, so it's not unusual to have the odd period of stomach cramps!! However, by January i had lost almost 1 stone in weight. I gave a stool sample and salmonella was diagnosed. First course of antibiotic did not clear up the bacteria so i was put on Ciproflaxacin  and told to eat no dairy products but to eat lots of apples and carrots, only white bread, rice and vegetables.
I had terrible side effects with Ciprofaxacin, palpatations, leg pain and general weakness.
Two days before i finished my antibiotics i read an article which said grapefruit, orange and apple juice should not be taken while on the antibiotic Ciproflaxacin  as they interact and can be very dangerous. 1 young man died while on the antibiotic as he drank grapefruit juice. The symptoms matched mine. I stopped all fruit for the last 2 days of medication and symptoms disappeared. I still had low back pain and lower abdominal pain and saw a gastroenterologist. I told him about the side effects with the antibiotic and fruit juice and he dismissed it and told me to stop eating anything which came from the ground! I went to another doctor and i have finally got rid of the salmonella but now i have urine infection so i have been on more antibiotics. I  have painful joints, especially my hands since salmonella and told it is a form of arthritis which can be associated with salmonella.
I wish you well.

Mokita