Gastroenterology Community
sedation used or EGD exam

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sedation used or EGD exam

I need an endoscopic exam due to dificulty swallowing, and possible Hiatel hernia and GERD.
The problem is that I cannot have any form of benzodiazapines used for sedation. I am allergic to 3 of them that I know of, with throat itching and all over body itching. They tried 3 of them because they wanted me to take one with a longer 1/2 life than lorazepam. I took Lorazepam for 6 months as prescribed for anxiety, and became dependent on it. I had a terrible time trying to withdraw from the drug and had to detox from it. Is there an alternative drug which can be used? I read that there is only one and that one is mixed with a benzo.
Would a barium swallow exam be nearly as effective? Any other alternatives or ideas? Thank you very much.
Deb1023
Deb, discuss this with your doc. There are a number of other drugs that could be used to facilitate an EGD. A barium swallow would not be as good, or even half-way as good - it would only show 'gross' characteristics and they wouldn't be able to see the lining of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum, nor take biopsies if necessary.
You can do the endoscopy without sedation, I did last month.  They still numb your throat with a spray.  I can't say it was the most pleasant experience, you gag on the tube and can feel it moving down your throat and into the stomach, plus the whole time your burping and drooling.  I would do it again though if I had to, I hate being sedated!
I also hate sedation; it's dangerous and unecessary.  If you want non-benzo sedation you can pay a CRNA to administer propofol, a real induction anesthetic (induces sleep)..it's quick and deep, recovery is quick.  Any doc who is any good can do the EGD without sedation; expect some gagging but it's not bad; much better than being drugged into amnesia then being roughly treated-which is why so many docs recommend sedation.  It's faster for them.  I just had a colonoscopy and EGD with nothing; the colonoscopy was a total breeze and I don;t kow why anyone would want sedation for that.  The EGD wasn't quite as easy; some gagging, but nothing major.  If you have a doc whom you can trust; either exam is easy unsedated.  If you go to a doc who runs an assembly line gastro clinic, find a better doc. Sedation isn't needed if you have a good doc.
Thank you -- I will have to discuss it with my Dr. or an anethesiologist. Glad to know there are other drugs used for it.
Thank you Jennette-- It sure doesn't sound like much fun, but possible. I really have a strong gag reflex though. The numbing would help I'm sure, but still would gag.
How long does it ususally take?
Deb1023
You are a brave soul! I hate sedation also, but I'm not sure I can swallow a tube and have that test. If instead of a benzo or general anesthesia I would do it though.
Thanks!