Gastroenterology Community
severe diarrhea extremely severe abdominal contraction like pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

PLEASE READ IT ALL

the most recent was 2 days ago i had really bad stomach pain with really bad diarrhea  the pain came and went like contractions and the pain was so bad i wanted to die but nothing would have been fast enough its the worst pain in the world i would rather be shot
the pain would be there when i had to push then i would go and the pain would stop for a few seconds then start again this went on for over 4 hours straight i had NOTHING left in me at all
i am having panic attacks because i am so tarrafide to eat because i may have this happen again the pain is so bad (no stress is not causing me this problem i am stressed because i have gone threw hell again )

these episodes come out of no where i can go weeks or months with out one then boom  I CANT live with this for the rest of my life i am 20 and feel like im in hell anyone who has any idea about this BUT please only if all the symptoms match when the pain hits is a big part please i am so miserable

Severe diarrhea and pain can be a lot of things.  But the most common are either
an infection or a gallbladder attack.  If you notice the pain and diarrhea after you have eaten a certain food, such as greasy or spicy, it is probably gallbladder or pancreas.  If it doesn't matter what you eat, it is more likely an infection.  

Please go to the doctor!  Don't suffer through this anymore.  

If you don't have insurance, go to the ER. They can't turn you away.  
thanks theres no pattern that i have seen i am going to a dr i just had a test done to check my gallbladder i am waiting results but all the things iv read no one seems to have it like this and i have no infection but thank you for replying
Dear Pain,
Sorry this will be long, but I think I can break this thing down for you, to where you might gain some understanding of what's happening.  If I read your posts right, most of the time you have regular non-painful and non-crampy movements.  But I wasn't sure, tho, if you go to the bathroom on a regular basis.  So, if you sometimes do not go to the bathroom for days at a time, then I can tell you what's going on from that point of view.

If you do not pass waste on a regular basis, or don't pass waste for several days before this painful episode takes place, then we're talking constipation issues.  If waste doesn't go out of the body on a regular basis, it'll build up in the lower part of the bowel, until the body can't take it anymore, and boom, it's a gonna come out big-time and make you very sick.  Waste like that is usually large and hardened, which hurts when it goes out.  You can get some plain KY jelly at the pharmacy over-the-counter, put that on your bottom and it'll make it much more comfortable to pass that waste.  To avoid constipation in the first place, always drink plenty of water daily, get enough whole grains, eat fruits as snack, and exercise regularly.  

I might add that constipation can be caused by various medications, to include antibiotics and vitamins.  With antibiotics, whenever you finish the final round of those, drink Acidophilus milk or eat Activia yogurt for a week or so, restores "good" bacteria to the intestines.  Vitamins that have iron in them can clog up a person something fierce, so you have to change brands or only take them a couple times a week.  

Now, the diagnostic alternative is, if you DO pass waste regularly, on a daily basis or every other day, and if you don't have any change in that routine right up to your cramps, I don't think it's constipation.  Now, sometimes, if you eat out the night before, restaurant food can upset your guts real bad.  Also, since you do not have an intestinal infection, you should be checked for ANYthing that can invade your guts, to include parasites, H.pylori, C-diff, lots of strains of virus and bacteria, thru a stool sample.  If that's been done, then I can offer one more idea as to what your digestive problems are.

Since this is apparently an intermittent problem with no routine to it whatsoever, I think you might need an ultrasound or CAT scan of your abdomen, and then maybe an endoscope and colonoscopy, to see if there's an obstruction somewhere, like in a pancreatic duct or a gland near your intestines may have a cyst on it.  I'm glad you got your gallbladder checked out, stones can form in there and cause these sort of attacks, even tho most are not quite like yours.

I want to say one more thing.  I have Panic Disorder and take medications to control it, plus I went thru a bunch of therapy to get it straight.  The heart rate speeds up when a person goes into panic, and I learned that deep breathing will slow the heart, so next time this happens to you, take about a half-dozen nice slow deep breaths, it'll knock down that scary feeling.  And as I said before, to help the pain of passing waste, put some plain KY jelly on there.  Also, an ordinary alka seltzer in the midst of the attack, somewhere in that four hours that you struggle so hard, will reduce the pain in your gut and normalize your body pH (indigestion always ups body acidity).

I know just how awful painful bowel movements are.  I got irritable bowel syndrome from some medications that gave me dry mouth.  Well, it also dried out my whole digestive tract, becuz I had diarrhea a half-dozen times daily for SIX MONTHS.  I was given hyocyamine when I got that cramp feeling, helped a lot.  No test explained it, but as soon as I got off those drugs, the diarrhea stopped.  So, while I do not know what is causing your attacks, just know that there are a bunch of people out there, just like you, in big trouble with their digestion, and I hope just knowing that will ease your fears, because illness comes out of nowhere and can disrupt everything.  You're just plain sick as a dog.  I hope your gallbladder results come back soon and I hope you get relief from all this soon, too.  Let us know how you're doing so we can provide some support to you.
GG
thank you so much for taking the time to wright all that
i have had other test done all came back norm upper gi test, cat-scan with dye , and i drank some white stuff and got xrays .

but the stomach pain i am talking about is with diarrhea only i could even live with the random episodes of  major diarrhea but the stomach pain is excruciating i can deal with pain but this pain is insanely painful it really does make you feel like dying
Did you have your liver checked?  This sounds like what my sister-in-law had.  It could be your liver.  I have a 0% functioning gallbladder and it isn't as painful as what a liver is.
omg. i googled what i have had happening to me for almost a year now and i came across your post. and just so you know your not alone. its almost crazy to believe that the same thing happens to me. it will go away for weeks or months then it comes back. im finally going to get checked out tomorrow im worried somethings wrong with me. i know how bad the pain is and im terribly sorry to you. i have a son and honestly the pain it woste than giving birth. so i was wondering i seen you said you had your galbladder checked out and i was wondering if you could tell me what came of your doctors visits? any diagnosis? because im sure ill get the same one so i wanna have an idea of whats going on. thank you so much if you could get back to me asap.
I would strongly suspect you have Celiac's disease. Get tested but, even better, go on a strict gluten free diet and see if your symptoms improve. Without a biopsy of your small bowel, results can be unreliable. The diet will tell you everything you need to know.  
hi i have d same pain have had it 4 5yrs now got a lot worse n doctor dosent seem 2 care i get it nearly everyday now, i am also 20 and have had a baby, funny enough it stopped wen i woz pregnant, i need help x
i have also had a test 4 celiac desease and its not that! X
I have crohn's disease and I have the same symptoms :-(  It sounds like ulcerative colitis or crohns.
i am going through this exact same thing!  I passed out from the pain last night in the middle of the worst  attack I've ever experienced. I have gone to ER and tried to tell my Dr but my problem is I don't know how to explain it.  it's not constant,  it's inconsistent with  zero pattern or recognizable trigger,  but I can't breathe in ( breathing out it ok)  and I can't move whenever it hits.  my entire abdomen feels like birth contractions  and they come and go in waves.  I've lost 6lbs  in a week because I'm petrified to eat anything.  did you ever get answers?