Gastroenterology Community
severe stomach swelling after gall bladder surgury

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had severe stomach pain for about two months due to gall stones, had gall bladder removed and now my stomach is severly bloated. I haven't gained any weight , but my stomach just keeps getting bigger. It feels like I'm going to pop. What is going on? I had some swelling before the surgury but now it's really bad. I'm in pants two sizes bigger and they are too tight. It has been only about four days since my gall bladder has been removed. I do have some stomach pain, kind of like a stomach ache, but no other symptoms. Can anyone tell me what is causing all this swelling in my stomach?
Charliem, in order to keep the surgical field clear and be able to see the gallbladder and other organs, you're pumped full of a gas during surgery to inflate the area. It's possible not all of the gas has been 'out-gassed' yet, so give it time. It's not unusual to feel 'stuffed' after surgery, due to both the gas and the healing process. It's going to take a couple of weeks before your system starts to get back to normal.
THANKS I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED ON FRI 3 DAYS AGO AND WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING SO THIS HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION THANK YOU
I had my gallbladder removed 3 months ago and I'm still swollen. I haven't gained weight, but I'm up 2-3 sizes in clothes..I'm miserable. My GI doctor did a test about 2 months ago and found out I had an infection in my small intestine..I took all the prescribed meds but nothing has changed. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm sooo miserable..
I had the same symptoms. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. when I was seen just a month after taking the same meds as you for infection in intestines they decided to take my gallbladder. So glad they did because it was leaning onto the liver causing bile to seep out onto it and now parts of my liver are damaged. I don't even drink so why am I the unlucky one to keep getting these symptoms. I lost a bunch of weight from not being hungry (because my stomach was still full from where my food was not digesting correctly)  I just had my gallbladder removed 2 days ago and I'm still in agenous pain and swollen from head to toe! My legs are so tight they feel like they might explode if I straighten them out. I think I will call my dr in the morning and find out if there is something he can do to give me relief