Gastroenterology Community
sick for weeks, ultrasound shows 10cm dilated bile duct

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been in and out of the ER for the last few weeks, briefly hospitalized with sepsis and lactic acidosis.  Severe middle abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite.  Lost 30 lbs in two months.  CT scan, xrays showed nothing, but ultrasound showed dilated bile duct.  Had gallbladder removed in 2003.  Could the dilated bile duct be causing these symptoms?  Wouldn't a blockage of the bile duct show up in the CT scan if that were the cause?  Having endoscopy in a few days, but still sick and wondering what can be done if the bile duct is the culprit.  Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
If it is the bile ducts you can have stents put in. Bile duct problems can cause pancreatitis or vice versa. I am a long time sufferer from pancreatitis and sod. If you have problems with backed up bile ducts it could certainly have caused the sepsis you had. IT will push toxins in to the blood stream and make you sick. An ultrasound will be better in finding a blockage in your duct. But the best way is an ercp. They are somewhat riskier than other tests but really its the only way if scans don't show anything. If your endo doesn't show anything ask for an eus. Its and ultrasound done the same way an endoscopy is done. Except they use the ultrasound camera on the end of the scope. It's safer than the ercp and can diagnose pancreas and bile ducts problems. If that doesn't work, as I mentioned before, ask about the ercp.
Thank you so much for the response doubleaaaron.  I appreciate it.  I'm at such a loss as the doctors are stumped. None of them have mentioned pancreatitis.  While my labwork has improved since the sepsis, all other symptoms are static.  Can't eat, and when I try I am vomiting and in pain. Weak, tired, and frustrated.  Good info about the ercp, I will definitely ask the gastro if that is something they can try if the endoscopy doesn't show anything. Thanks again.