Gastroenterology Community
side effects of colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

side effects of colonoscopy

I had  a routine colonoscopy 7 weeks ago. 2 polys were removed and they were fine. I was sore after the colonoscopy and very bloated but it has not gone away. Yesterday I ran a low grade fever and had waves of very intense pains all over my stomach.  Today I still have stomach pains but no fever.
Tags: bowel
I'm surprised you were sore, so I think a visit to your general family doctor would be a good idea, to make sure you weren't injured or don't have an infection.  

But as far as the bloating and stomach pain, it is possible gas is causing this.  See, the prep you did before the procedure clears out the bowel, so when you begin eating again, there's only air in there, and it can become trapped, which causes pain.  Also, sometimes the bowels can get "shocked" by the exam, and thus slow down.  Therefore, you might want to eat in such as a way as to make your bowels move more smoothly, thus allowing the gas to expel more easily.

I usually try natural ways to resolve indigestion.  Plenty of water, and slowly introduce more fiber into the diet by way of whole wheat toast, oat cereal like cheerios, and salad.  Spagetti is a quite watery food, so are melons.  On your cereal, pour Acidophilus milk, which helps break down food.  Also on your cereal, sprinkle some blueberries on top.  Add some easy walks in the evening around the block, for exercise, which causes all body systems to work better and induces relaxation.
how long does the pain from a colonoscopy normally last for?
Normally, there isn't any pain.
Post colonoscopy problems
by Ted174

Tags: distension, post colonoscopy, pressure, diagnosis, Dysbiosis
2 days later my abdomin (abdomen) started to distend. Within 2 weeks I went from 34" waist to 42" and lost 12 lbs. Have severe pressure in belly and diaphragm. Hard to breathe. Had ultrasound, full blood labs, x-rays and EGD. Still no diagnosis! What's wrong with me? Could it be Dysbiosis? And what would be the remedy? It's like my life has been taken away. I have no energy and am in pain.
visit this for colonscopy free tips 7 apparels http://www.retailord.com
visit this for colonscopy free tips & apparels Retailer.

Maybe MiraLax would help your body get regular again.
i think that there can be longer term side effects to colonoscopies. a good friend says that his bm habits changed permanently afterward, from a regular one per day to at least two. as for me, i have experienced heart palpitations since my last one. my internist said probably a result of the prep throwing off my electrolytes and to take magnesium. i did but it is still happening and now im off to the cardiologist. is anyone else experiencing longer term effects afterwards??
I am convinced that I have developed some sort of IBD following my colonoscopy 2 years ago. It started with a change in bowel movements right after the procedure and delevelped into a dramatic shift including gas, bloating, and diarhea (diarrhea). My friend experienced the same roblems. Doctors seem to dismiss the connection, but I never had any bowel issues before the colonoscopy.
I had severe pain during and after my colonoscopy with mid epigastric pain. My stomach is distended and it hurts to swallow. I have been walking to relieve the gas pains but still am not comfortable after 5 days. I think this is a barbaric procedure that MDs take lightly because they medicate you for the procedure but the inflammatory response can last for a long time after you get home.
I had a colonoscopy a week ago and am in pain. Every time I eat I go to the loo, don't think this is normal.
Go to the ER NOW he may have perferated your colon........
I got a colonoscopy five days ago, I felt fine for the first 2 days after but now my anus is in alot of pain it is swollen and I cant even sit down for five minutes because it is really uncomfortable is this a normal thing?
I had a colonoscopy on April 20th. It was very uncomfortable. That day I had gas pains that eventually went away. But today eight days later, I am experiencing rectal spasms. It started around 3pm and keeps coming and going. I decided to search the web to see if these spasms had anything to do with my procedure.
I will defintely consult with my doctor tomorrow.
i had coloscopy last week and i want to know is back pain one of the side effect
I'm having a colonscopy tomorrow I had one last September 2008 they found 3 precancerous polyps. I remember having pain afterwards but I'm really scared about this one do they know if they get all of the precancerous cells I can't eat today it's only 8:52am the day before and I'm already hungry.Is orange juice without pulp a clear liquid? I'm so damn nervous. No side effects I'm scared. can anyone relieve my anxiety?
I had my third colonoscopy nine days ago and I am experiencing alot of pain in my left side, shortness of breath, gas and discomfort in my back. How long did the pain in your back last?   I did not have any problems with the two previous procedures.I called my doctor  about day 4 and the nurse said it could be a bruised diaphram or ribs and to wait a few days.  However, this is now day nine and I will be calling the office first thing Monday morning. (tomorrow). It seems to be alot worse in the evening, especially after eating.  Has anyone had all of these symptoms and did you find out the reason?  My daughter is a radiology tech and she is hoping that it isn't a twisted bowel.  She says I need a CT scan asap.
I had my first colonoscopy today at 33 and hopfully my last...I have aniema and my doctor wanted to confirm I wasnt bleeding internally, anyway my prep was SUPERB!!! the solution was not as bad as feared- I only felt really full. BUT AFTER the procedure all hell broke lose, I was crampy, my stool was lose and I was sent home as if I went for a check up.
When will the pain end??? Everything I eat runs through me, my behind is sore and I am miserable!!!
I can not take this but for so long, no pun intended.
I had my 1st colonoscopy last thursday...I woke up during the procedure yelling it hurts it hurts please stop STOP!! I rolled over and saw my Dr standing there and nurses scrambling around . Then out like a light I went again....I woke up in recovery in severe pain,they said it was gas and would go away...4 days into it,I went to the E.R. since my DR did NOT return phone calls and I was in severe pain
.E.R. took a exray and found no perforation but a lot of trapped air,they gave me a shot for pain,prescribed gas x and donnatal for intestinal spasms.Today I feel a tad less pain,but am far from normal.Next Dr appt is next Wednesday.Finally my Dr called and was upset I went to the ER!!! "unbelievable"He said it was normal and I should have waited it out.....I will change Dr's after I get my biopsy results.......
oh my god,i haven't had a colonoscopy,but i have had an upper endoscopy and my stomach and insides are not the same,3months now.............................it is very invasive both test and they are really bad unless you are in really need
this thread scares me!
ME TOO!!! I had first flare of diverticulitis 7/18, had to stop meds, antibiotics almost killed me, far worse than the diver was.  CT scan showed inflammation in middle of large intestine suggesting diverticulitis and now I'm told I need a colonoscopy.  Well, you're not supposed to empty your large intestine if you have diverticulosis.  To have a colonoscopy you have to empty your large intestine.  This whole thing is beyond terrifying.
I had a colonoscopy a couple days ago and I keep getting throbbing in my abdomen and I suffered bad stomach pain last night.  I felt very nauseous, broke out in chills, and lightheaded.  Shortly after, I had to take a bowel movement and it went okay. I felt a little better after but I had to lay down and go to sleep.  I didn't feel well enough to do anything else.  My stomach was very swollen and I my lower back was hurting.  This morning I woke up a little nauseous and with soreness in my upper intestines. (close to my chest)  I am going to see a doctor today for it.  If you have side effects, go and get checked out right away.  It's better to be safe than sorry or have to worry about it every time you feel sick from it.
I feel like my intestines have been rearranged and my doctor acts like I am a traitor for going to the ER when he didn't reply to half a dozen calls.........seems they would have better alternatives than this barbaric procedure..........not to mention calling into work for feeling in so much pain.........boss says what's wrong,I say gas............adds insult to injury!
by the way,my stomach hasn't felt this big since i was pregnant 24 years ago!! I feel like the blueberrygirl from willie wonka!!
If I didnt feel fear before I am terrified now...I have been having bad dreams all week and my procedure is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I have not started to take the meds yet and thats due to be taken this afternoon. Its too late to cancel the appt but I seriously wish I had now...
This happens in less than 1% of the people.  You will be fine and the bloating goes away in everyone.
Just my luck..I hope I dont be part of that 1%..
Can someone please tell me what are the symptoms colon polyps.  I am kind of scared cause my bowel habits greatly changed.  I am having mucous and blood in my stool.
Please start your own post for your questions and I will answer them.  Thanks.
Hey, i had a colonoscopy yesterday and despite the prep being bloody awful the procedure wasn't too bad.  I am really bloated and tired today but really, there is much to be scared about.  The sedation will help you during the process...
Please remember that people who post and read this thread are self-selected as having problems after the procedure. People who had no problems are not online looking for answers. Also - the problems I read here do not seem to be life-threatening. Instead, they sound, at worst, uncomfortable and require a re-setting, so to speak, of your digestive tract. I'm just hoping a little perspective might help calm some nerves. The vast vast majority of people are OK. And the very few who experience problems are most likely going to be OK too.
Hi I just read your comment about a colonoscopy you had last year and would like to ask if the pain eventually went away? I had one last week, and then was taken into hospital this week with thrombosed hemmeroids due to the procedure. I am still in alot of discomfort and would welcome any advice to ease it. Thanks. Lou.x
Please post your question as your own post because this one is so old.
I would like to let everyone know that having pain after a colonoscopy isn't the worst thing. Try having a bag outside your body to poop in. If you don't get checked you may end up with Cancer. This procedure is not as bad as
you think. Please if you are reading all the bad comments consider the alternitive to NOT getting a colonoscopy.
I had a colonoscopy and felt fine right after. I had a light meal and about an hour later started to feel really uncomfortable. I had bad gas pain across my chest and my stomach around to my right side of my back hurt. I tried to wait for it to pass figuring they had put so much air in me. It never passed, couldn't take the discomfort and pain, called my Dr. and he told me to go to the ER. Well, a Catscan, sonogram, admitted to hospital, and nuclear x-ray later it seems my gallbladder doesn't want to work to its full potential. (Not gallstones but a thickening of the the wall and some liquid) The pain finally subsided and they are telling me it was a gallbladder attack (which I never had before) but they tell me it's not from the colonoscopy. I was wondering if anyone else had gallbladder problems after their procedure. They say the prep could have brought it on but not the procedure. Curious to hear from anyone who could shed some light on this for me.
I had a colonoscopy a few months ago and still having upper back pain. There is lots of bloating, gas and my bowel movements smell foul. There were polyps but doctor said nothing to worry about. Scheduled for another colonoscopy in a few years. Its the back pain that concerns me. I hope this passes soon and don't want to scare any one in getting a colonoscopy. Don't take your health for granted and get regular checkups.
I'm a 60 year old male.  My doctor has been trying to get me to go for a colonoscopy for at least 9 years now.  I decided it was time to go only because I turned 60.  Well, they found 7 polyps. All were pre-cancerous but benign. Just wanna thank my Doctor for keeping after me.  Truly a life saver. Don't be like I was...Go as soon as your doctor tells ya.  Painless before and after and well worth it. Damn I feel like a new person now. You will too.
Been reading all your comments and was shocked at how many of you have had permanent problems after having a colonoscopy done and Upper GI's.. I too, have never been the same after both these tests were done on me... I know have bowel problems, and with some foods, goes right through me.. I can't pin point the cause, or the food.. Seems to be different all the time.. After having no problems with heartburn, I had an Upper GI and now, when I lay down, I am getting acid burning.. what's with that.. Its like they give it to you... I as well woke up half way through the upper gi... and it was painful.. they quickly put me out as well..Not sure about these tests..
I had a coloscopy 2 weeks ago and for the past 3 days i have been having hot and cold shevers, feeling sick, bad headaches and my body is just really achey (achy) not sure if im coming down with something or it has something to do with the coloscopy, my period is due any day now not sure if thats got anything to do with it.
I Had a colonoscopy over a week ago since then when i go to the bathroom when i wipe back there is blood can this procedure cause hemmoroids (hemorrhoids) ?
I had a colonoscopy nearly a month ago and have not felt right since. Constant diarrhea, abdominal bloating, and gas. I have taken TONS of blood tests and had a stool culture and my doctor kind of gave up from there and just said I have IBS, when before the colonoscopy I had healthy stool and was perfectly regular. I would have NEVER gotten a colonoscopy if i knew this would've happened. I am in college and I find it hard to even make it to my classes because of this.
Did you ever figure out what your problem was Sheryl?  I'm having the same exact symptoms you were having.
Hi...did you ever figure out what happened.  I had my procedure about 5 weeks ago and have had constant pain.  I'm also being told it is likely my Gallbladder.  I never had any pain whatsoever prior to this procedure......
Had my 5th colonoscopy 3 weeks ago. Only difference this time was the Miralax prep instead of taking pills. Started feeling a slight pain just below my breastbone the evening prior (Thursday) to the procedure and doing the prep. Kind of like a hunger pain, but it was not.

In the AM just before the procedure (Friday) I still felt this pain. Told the nurse about it and she asked me which prep I used. Interesting question...

Procedure went fine, but that night after going to sleep I got the worst cramping and back ache I had ever felt. Called the office on Monday the prescribed something for acid reflux. On Tuesday the pains were really bad and I was severely constipated. Called the office again, this time they did not return my call. Wednesday things got much better. By Friday I was almost pain free. On Sunday, all hell broke loose again. Waking up around 3AM with severe cramping and back ache. Went away by Monday. Came back on Sunday. This time it did not stop.

Tuesday went to my general practitioner. Thus far they have checked Gall Bladder and Precancerous and have found nothing. Have me on a bland diet.

Both Drs. say this has nothing to do with my procedure. Am I crazy for thinking this has everything to do with my procedure, possibly the prep?
Hi!!! Age 35, had colon cancer in family history.  I had one bloody stool and hemmeroids; went to Dr. who suggested a colonoscopy.  After the procedure I had terrible painful gas for two days.  NOW I have horrible pains in my upper stomach near sternum and stomach pains that could be on the right side one day and the left the other.....called the Dr. who suggested Phazyme for gas and Pepcid AC Complete for the burning.  Well the gas is gone but the burning stayed....called Dr. AGAIN and he prescribed me Dexilant which cured the burning sensations but still having random stomach pains!!!  He says I should have another colonoscopy in 5 years!!  5 years MY ***!!!  He acts like this has nothing to do with the colonoscopy....HE's wrong!!!  AGGGGGHHHH!!!!!
Is there any relief for the swelling of the abdomen after a colonoscopy?  I had a routine procdure done just because I am that over 50 age.  I had nothing wrong with me before.  Several days after my stomach began swelling and I hadn't put on enough weight to swell this big.  I have been to the ER 3 times, been admitted twice, seen 5 to 6 different doctors and had CAT scans, x-rays, and bloodwork done.  Everything comes back normal except they all say I am constipated.  I wasn't this severely constipated before the colonoscpy.  It is like my bowels quit working, because I can't have a BM without a laxative.  I am in pain most of the time. I can't walk around a lot or I pay with additional pain.  Does anyone know if there is any relief from this?  I feel like the doctor who performed this procedure stole my life and replaced it with this nightmare.
How do I reset my colon?  Please Help me!  I am in pain constantly from that colonoscopy.
Hi Sheryl  Did the doctors figure out what your problem was?
Did you get any help for your distented abdomen?
My bloating didn't go away.  Is there a problem?
Did you get relief from your problem?
I hope all the negative comments will not scare everyone away from having a colonoscopy.  This can be a life saving procedure.  My mother discovered she had colon cancer at age 59.  She had surgery to remove the malignacy, but later the cancer spread to her lungs and then to her brain.  If she had caught the polyp while it was still benign, she might still be alive today.  Although everybodys'side effects can be different, I have had three colonoscopies and had no lasting effects from any of them although several polyps have been removed.  Although the prep can be very unpleasant for some, the actual procedure was painless for me.  Glad I had it done.  
My Wife was given 5 colonoscopies with 6 months between each, the guide lines we found out are 3-5 years, it has ruined her health, and when I read people saying it just leaves you with a bit of discomfort, then they have not gone through what she has. But they don`t wan`t to know, It`s true, they close  ranks and have nothing but praise for each other, I had to leave the room I simply felt sick listening to the ******** from the lady doctor. Eddy
I forget to mention that the Wife was on one occasion, given a full colonoscopy when it stated clearly on the hospital letter it was to be a for the sigmouid only. Hope the spelling is right. She has had a real bad day today. Unable to keep even a small amount of food down, and at one point broke down sobbing,`` they have taken my life``. EDDY.
sorry to hea about your experience , i had one 5 weeks ago , still got lots of pain , cnt seem to empty my bowells properly , also back pain , and vomiting a lot wrse than i did before the colonoscopy , i had 3 polyps removed , ive had  3 colonoscopys before left with a bit of pain but not like this , i did feel that they were a little rough this time , when i got home i went into shock , cold shaking so bad i could hardly speak , so i know what your going through , , ill be telling them next time to ease up a little , i was in the theatre for one hour forty mnts ,  hope you get better soon , paul
At 56 I had my 3rd colonoscopy.  I have not had any problems on my previous two.  On this one I expiereinced many of the same symptoms mentioned here...severe back pain, headache, vomiting after the procedure.  They gave me 3 doses of anti-nausea medication and morphine for the back pain.  Of all things, I also had an earache and sinus pain (from the oxygen, perhaps?)  When I came out of the anethesia, my husband said I looked really weird (meaning indigent) and was shaking violently.  The same evening and next day, I ran a fever of 99.7 and had a raised resting heart rate of 82.  I was not feeling at all well, was lightheaded and had the shakes.  I took some Tylenol and benadryl and went back to bed for a few hours. In the meantime, I slowly introduced liquids and soft foods back into my diet.  7 up, chicken noodle soup, bananas, jello and water.   I decided to try and break up the gas that was trapped inside by rolling and bouncing on my core ball, lying down, both front wards and backwards.
That helped to release some of the gas.  Did this several times at separate times.  I ate a cup of yogurt (with active cultures) and added cinnamon and took an acidopholus capsule to try and replace the flora that had been removed by this whole process.  I put a moist heating pad (microwavable type) across my abdomen when I went to bed.  Much better the next morning with noticeable reduced swelling.  Just sore now, and I hope that will go away in a couple of days.  Definetly not an experience that I hope to ever have to repeat!  I hope some of this information will be helpful to someone else out there.  Replace the flora in your intestines.  Take acidolphoulus, eat yogurt, take probiotics.  I would think that a good gastroenterologist would be recommending this as a followup to the procedure because they know they are stripping the body of much needed good bacteria that takes time to replace.  Those little guys help break down the food so your body can absorb it.  Take it all away and blow up your intestines, and you have a combination for a colon in shock.
Hello, i had my first colonoscopy a few days ago.  My first and i am 57 years old.  I have had blood in stool for 3+years and bowels ranging from diarehea (spelling) to small bits and pieces.  The doctor found a few polyps and removed them. He also found one about 16cm up my rectum/anus and said it was size of golf ball.  He is going to send me to another doctor in another larger city to have it removed. I am worried. He did not seem too worried but still it worrys me.  I am a little sore on my left side of rectum/anus, esp. when i cough.  Hopefully that will go away.
Hello everyone, I am 61 and had my first colonoscopy over 2 weeks ago. On the prep I was reading the side affects on the 2 little pills they give you for vomiting and one of the side affects there was NO CURE FOR so I ask the doctor if I had to take it and he said no it was just because 50% of people may vomit and it would stop the vomiting. If I did not read I would have been shooting craps so I did not take it. I have consipation now which I can not remember the last time I ever having it. I should have been told about the side affects. Now I read to - Use Colorectal Recovery Kit to restore and maintain proper stool morphology. It's funny I asked the doctor before the prep about good intestinal bacteria and he says to there is no problem with that with this procedure (colonoscopy). ????? That is why God gives you a true gut feeling (your spiritual EAR)
Doctors mainly keep their info for themselves and tell you nothing just like the Lisinopril cough I had 8 months ago that sent me to the ER and they sent me to a specialist which told me I got the Lisinopril cough that nearly sent my blood pressure through the roof. Again they never told me what the side affects were when they gave me the medication. Get all the info that you can so you will make the right move.
Sincerely, Rick2u
Hello everyone, I am 61 years old and had my first colonoscopy over 2 weeks ago. On the prep I was reading the side effects on the 2 little pills they give you for vomiting and one of the side effects there was NO CURE FOR so I ask the doctor if I had to take it and he said no it was just because 50% of people may vomit during the prep and it would stop the vomiting. If I did not read I would have been shooting craps because of the no cure chance so I did not take it. I have constipation now which I can not remember the last time I ever having it. I should have been told about the side affects. Now I read to - Use Colorectal Recovery Kit to restore and maintain proper stool morphology. It's funny I asked the doctor before the prep about good intestinal bacteria and he says to there is no problem with that with this procedure (colonoscopy). ????? That is why God gives you a true gut feeling (your spiritual EAR)
Doctors mainly keep their side effects info to themselves and tell you nothing just like the Lisinopril cough I had 8 months ago that sent me to the ER and they sent me to a specialist which told me I got the Lisinopril cough that nearly sent my blood pressure through the roof. Again they never told me what the side effects were when they gave me the medication. Get all the info that you can so you will make the right move.
Sincerely, Rick
God bless everyone
when i had my colonoscopy done 7 years ago everything was good and no problem after. i just had my second one done on july 13th and this time they found a small polyp came back fine. during the first few days everything seemed fine, then all of a sudden i started to feel uncomfortable on my right side. and as days went on then i would get low back pains. then i started to feel bloated in my stomach as though i was pregnant and tighten up like contractions making it uncomfortable to breath. i am planning to see my regular doctor tomorrow to see whats going on. i thought this was all in my head, but after reading other peoples problems after colonscopy i know now that this all has to do with that. and my gastreologist said the same thing, that he doesn't think it had anything to do with it. i don't believe him. it really makes me wonder whether these doctors r being careful or careless when they do these procedures. you don't really know how ur being treated while put under sedation.
im 18 and just had a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. the prep was not that bad to me besides the fact that the solution tasted absolutely awful and i gagged multiple times. i don't remember any of the procedure so the anesthesia worked well but i have been in awful pain in my lower abdomen ever since. it feels as if someone is twisting and pulling my insides. also my doctor said he  had trouble preforming the procedure and had to get his partner with more experience to help him.
I had a colonoscopy last week Wednesday-as a result of having many other things "wrong" with my health I was not allowed any anaesthetic, this was not my first procedure but it was my first awake one. Since then I have had severe lower back pain- and im convinced my colon is sore to if that makes sense. I am unable to sit down for long periods and even lying on my back is uncomfortable. i also feel like I need to go to the bathroom but I cant and everytime I eat I bloat like an elephant, I had polyops removed but have never had these side effects-especial for a week
I had my first colonscopy and endoscopy 3 days ago (on a Friday).  The prep and procedures were not ANYWHERE near as bad as I had dreaded, judging from other people's horror stories that I know that have had them done (especially of the prep).  I'm not putting people down that did have a hard time with their preps by the way :)  I followed the directions and my G.I.'s advice to the letter regarding the prep.  Perhaps that helped the prep go smoothly, perhaps not.  I'm just stating that mine went rather smoothly.  In fact, I was able to sleep soundly for 5 hours in between my first and second doses.  I woke up Friday morning and had the procedures done.  I was told I had 3 polyps removed from my intestine for analysis.  Two were of "normal" size and the other one was quite "large" for someone my age I was told by my doctor.  I was also told that although they did not spot anything with the endoscopy, they took a biopsy of my stomach for precautions.  To backtrack a moment, shortly after wakening after my procedure, the nurse that was in the room with me asked me if I had been scratching my neck.  When I told her no, she left the room and came back with the anesthesiologist.  I had red marks on both sides of my neck sort of under my ears the nurse told me.  They didn't hurt at the time and I had no pain.  The anesthesiologist did not seem concerned.  So, I guess I didn't at the time.  Remember, I was still coming out of the anesthesia, so I didn't feel a thing it seemed lol.  Fast forward...the next morning I woke up in excruciating pain under my left rib.  On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst for pain, I was definitely a 10.  I also had pain in my mid-back section on my left side as well.  I took Tylenol (for pain), as directed, by the G.I. doctor the day before (noted on my discharge papers as well.  Tylenol only they said.).  Three hours after taking the first dose of Tylenol, I noticed that the pain had not subsided. I felt something perhaps may be "wrong."  I decided I would continue to monitor the pain.  The same day, as well, (Saturday) I had alot of pain from what felt like bruising in the spots where the nurse had spotted the red marks under my ears.  In addition to that pain, I had pain under my chin.  So, it felt like I had one giant bruise from ear to ear literally.  I looked in the mirror and saw nothing but some redness in the same spots where the nurse saw the red marks under my ears the day before.  I also noticed on both upper arms, on the inset of each arm, it looked like I had 5 red marks (almost like small horizontal bruises) on my left arm and two on my right arm.  What was that from?  I showed my boyfriend and he couldn't believe it.  The pain under my rib and in my back continued to be a 10 the rest of the day and night.  In fact, I woke up from a sound sleep with pain under my left rib either Saturday night/Sunday morning (not sure which).  The next day (Sunday), yet again I woke up with the same pain under my left rib, in my mid-center back on the left side, and the feeling of bruises under my skin from ear to ear.  Again, the pain level was at a 10.  I took more Tylenol, which did NOTHING for the pain AGAIN.  I know my pain tolerance, and it wasn't at it's complete peak yet.  In hindsight, it would have been a good idea to contact my G.I. doctor.  Around 5:00 p.m. that night, the pain started to subside.  It actually went away for an hour.  Aha!  Relief, I thought.  Wrong!  Because 1 hour later at 6:00 p.m., the pain came back full force.  What is going on I thought.  Ok, that's it.  If the pain is still here in the morning, I'll call my doctor, I told myself.  Well, low and behold, I slept really well that evening.  Yeah!  Monday morning when I awoke, I had a very dull pain under my ribs and no back pain.  I thought that things would be alright.  The dull pain was a 2 on the pain scale.  It was like that pretty much the entire day.  It just so happened that the Endoscopy center called me around 3:00ish to ask how the weekend went.  I told them everything I just mentioned.  They wanted to send me to the hospital to get an abdominal x-ray and bloodwork just for precautions.  When I was at the hospital having the abdominal x-ray done, the technician asked me if I was bloated.  I told her yes, although in all honesty, I've been bloated for a few months (which is a small part of my larger medical issue).  I am now awaiting the test results, which I told I would get within a day or two tops.  I also forgot to mention that, although it may sound odd, when I was at rest sitting or with my feet up, my pain worsened.  If I walked around, it wasn't AS bad.  I can't walk around all the time, though.  I agree that nobody should avoid having a colonoscopy or endoscopy because of anything they read on here.  I also would like to mention to some people that it is not nice to downplay or insult the pain/issues that others have had who have had colonoscopies that have had pain/issues, just because these other people did not have any pain/issues (sorry to keep repeating).  Has anyone else had similar issues with good results?  I am a bit nervous after reading that so many people are going through similar things; however, it comforts me somewhat because I know I am not alone in this.  Any responses would be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks guys/gals!
I hand my 4th colonoscopy two days ago. No reaction at all from the first three. This time they put me under in the beginning. I have had low backpain, trouble moving, catching my breath Pain in my left side. Horrible pain in my lower abdominal area. And my stomach is hard and extremely bloated. This is so different than my last one 8 years ago. Dr. Said I had no polyps and no inflammation at all. Perfectly healthy colon and not to come back for 10 years. I am 57.  
I don't think it will ever go away, It's been 2 1/2 years since I had my first colonoscopy, and since then I have been suffering. I remember being froze on the table, not being able to move, screaming and crying it hurts, it was extreme pain,  I felt the doctor doing her thing. Next thing I know, I am in recovery. I swear I will never get that done again.
My bowels are all messed up, pain in my lower back daily, among other complications do to the colonoscopy. I also feel the prep before didn't help, the clean out was over kill.  
before having my procedure, I had read that some side effects could be either diarrhea or constipation.  That said, I used an approach similar to yours, after the procedure I slowly progressed from clear liquids to easily digestible soft foods over the course of a few days while taking regular doses of probiotics.  Shortly after my procedure I had a conversation with a friend who said she had been having IBS like symptoms since having the procedure 6 months earlier.  After telling her the precautions I had taken while reintroducing food to my gut, she tried using probiotics with no noticeable improvement, she then repeated the miralax prep followed by clear liquids, soft foods and probiotics.  its been a month or so now, and she says feels like she is back to normal.  I know many of the posts here are addressing far more serious symptoms, however for the folks who have had bloating, constipation or diarrhea, I hope this information may be helpful.  Good luck!
I am a sixty year old man and I had my first and hopefully last colonoscopy about a month ago after having continuous bleeding for six weeks. The regular doctor had decided to let a student have a go at the procedure. I hadn't realizes that I had been selected for a test drive until half way through the procedure as the doctor was instructing him on how to steer the camera which seemed to keep on crashing into the colon wall. Fortunately nothing more serious than piles was discovered although they did take a biopsy for further tests. Now I wake every morning with my stomach and lower back feeling sore and tender on both sides and am constantly troubled by bad attacks of wind especially first thing. Should I be concerned and what can I do to put things back to normal?
I had a sigmioscopy + colonoscopy within 3 weeks of each other without sedation.  no problems with procedure just a slight discomfort nothing that warranted sedation.

I stuck rigidly to diet recommendation for 48 hours prior to procedure when using Moviprep so had no problems with that either.  Quite gentle.

36 hours later I walked 6miles around Derbyshire up hills.

I would advise anyone who has to have these procedures to try firstly without pain relief + see how you get on. You can always opt for sedation if you can't cope later.  
I had a colonoscopy on 4/30/14.  I had one polpy.  It was removed & results not back yet.  I have felt like crap ever since.  Lower abdominal pain so bad.  Colin spasms. Cramping.. Left leg hurting.Aching all over.  If I ever get over this I will NEVER have another.   I called today complaining.  She said take Phillips colon probiotic.  Before all this I had an endoscopy done.  Ultrasound that found my gall bladder was about to explode.  Gall bladder surgery.  Then the colonoscopy.  A lot in 5 weeks.I went back to work after 10 days of my gall bladder being taken out.  I'm an active person But all this has kicked my butt!   I don't want to complain.  Just want to stop hurting.  I will pray for all of you if I could ask for prayers from all of you for me.  I hope we all get over this and get our lives back.  Prayers for all of you & God Bless.
hi i had my first colonoscopy on the friday just gone on the morning of the procedure it went ok they found a pollop so took loads of biopsies.. woke up and went home ... about 5pm the same day i started to loose the tissue linning of my bowles aswell as blood... i got taken in to hospital all the bloods, xrays ecg came back fine but the bloating/ swelling  really hasnt gone aswell as the chest pain which makes breathing difficult at times has any body else had this and if they have how long does it take to go down as it gets very painfull

please help
boo x

Had a colonoscopy on Wednesday last week ( 9th July ) as I had had an attack of diverticulitis . Never had this before . Recommended for a colonoscopy as my father died from colon cancer . Prep was just about ok, and the procedure itself was fine as I had a sedative . Since Friday I have had low grade " period" type pains in my lower abdomen and yesterday also started to have cramps which came and went . Very unpleasant . No high temperature or chills though and bowels working ( too well, as I am visiting the loo about 2/3 times an hour ... no diarrhoea ) .

I telephoned the hospital where I had the procedure done and was told to take painkillers and sit it out for a few days . I totally did not expect this at all as most of the people I know who have had this done were fine after about 24 hours . I'm wondering if I went back to normal eating too soon and my irritated bowel is reacting . So, today I shall just take fluids and stuff like Actimel and yoghurt . Anyone else had a similar experience ?
My husband had a colonoscopy in July.  This is almost September and he had had constant bleeding, painful and bloody bowel movements plus extreme pain in his anus.  His GI doctor has prescribed Lidocaine for his butt and a medicine to ease the pain.  This doctor also knows he has a pulmonary embolism and is on Xarelto.  I am very worried about the bleeding.  How long will this continue and at what expense to his body?
I know this is an old thread, but wow my colonoscopy was 11days ago and I'm still not right either. However my stomach has gone down a lot, bms have completely changed. I feel inflamed all on my insides. Constant bloody mucus!  My goodness!!