Gastroenterology Community
sigmoid colectomy surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sigmoid colectomy surgery

hi  i am due to undergo a sigmoid colectomy this week and would appreciate any advice because i am extremely nervous  about the whole thing  
many thanks
wayne
Waynedelboyer561,

I understand your concerns with the surgery.  I had a bowel resection in September and then I had a total colectomy with ileorectalanistemosis the first week of March.  If you look at the discussion titled “colectomy to treat constipation?!?!” I started that thread on Feb. 22 when I was first scheduled for the colectomy.  In that discussion I have provided a lot of information about my experiences since the surgery.  I am also willing to do private messaging to answer specific question or I can answer questions in this discussion.  Please read through the discussion I mentioned, it really does have a lot of information.  There are some differences between the total colectomy and the sigmoid colectomy, but for the most part the main difference is the amount of large intestine has been removed.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.  I will be more than happy to answer what I can.

Best of luck and health.

Quartzn99
hey quartz...not sure if youre ever on here anymore....have you heard of nausea weeks aftere surgery? This has been a roller coaster for me. I had sigmoid colectomy due to intermittent spells of alot of pain and severe constipation....I just couldnt go unless I took Miralax 2 to 3 times a day and eat only liquids and really soft foods. I also had adhesions that attached to my spleen. So, the other day I went to the Dr. (back to gastro) in tears for spasms and nausea. He said if I'm not better in 2 weeks he needed to scope me for possible stricture. He put me on xanax for the spasms and took me off the bentyl. He also told me to take the zofran for nausea. With prune juice and very little miralax im going to the bathroom and dont feel "backed up" like ive been experiencing. I just cant shake the nausea, burping. :( ty for any ideas edna
Sorry I have not been on here for a while. I went through some major issues with nausea and vomiting for a while. Oddly enough many of the problems actually eased up when I got pregnant. Unfortunately I don't have any magical suggestions that makes it go away. I did however have a few scripts for zophran and promethazine for my nausea. That was not a full proof plan but it did help ease things up a bit. The only other thing you might try is to eat very small meals more frequently. I hope that helps a little bit. I know how miserable the process can be.