Gastroenterology Community
slight gastritis??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

slight gastritis??

Hello, I am 25 years old and had an endoscopy done less than a year ago in October of 2008, and I was told that I had slight gastritis. The doctor asked if I ate a lot of spicy food, and after I told him that I did he did not seem to be concerned. Recently, my mind started running wild, and I started looking up information on gastritis and it said that in some cases it can increase risk of stomach cancer, and that has put some fear into me because I am bit of a hypochondriac with an active mind. My symptoms associated with this gastritis seems to be an excessive need to belch and sometimes my throat feels like it is clogged with mucus, and when I eat too much spicy food I seem to upset my stomach. I am wondering what forms and how long it takes gastritis to become a risk for stomach cancer. I have scared myself by reading information online. From what I can tell, atrophic gastritis is the precursor to stomach cancer. How long does it take for slight gastritis to become a more serious form of gastritis? I do not wish to see more doctors because I am constantly seeing doctors and specialists because of an over awareness to my body and over active imagination. I would just like to know that if I had an endoscopy done less than a year ago, and I was told that I had slight gastritis from spicy food, then I do not have to worry about stomach cancer. I do not have any new symptoms from the time of my endoscopy. I am quite fearful of cancer, and I would like to put my mind at ease.
well you're lucky that's your only problem then...

your doctor is right, normally gastritis is caused by something irritating the stomach lining..weather it's pain medication like tylenol that eats away at your stomach or you're just eating mass spicey foods...i've even heard that when they do the endoscope sometimes the scope itself can cause gastritis.  I also have gastritis myself right now as i'm typing this..but I think mine might be from a food intolerance or allergy.

The majority of gastritis causes is ulcers..or a bug called h. ploryi so you coul dcheck that out, and that's a simple blood test.  I've read some people have h. ploryi without symptoms and maybe you're one of them...on the cancer deal, normally the only way to confirm that is to actually see the gastritis and do a biopsie...did they do that for you?  If they did and it was negative then.. I wouldn't stress about it.  Basically your chances are very very low.  I'd check for h. ploryi and avoid spicey foods and maybe go back 6 months and look for improvement (I wouldn't do acid blockers unless you really need them..)

.02