spasms in upper abdomin
Hello. I had my Gallbladder out on Jan. 30, 2008. The following 2 weeks I suffered from nausea, dizzyness. 4 weeks after gb surgery, I had a tightness in my abdomin and lots of nausea. On March 17 and 18, I had severe pain in my abdomin - mainly on the right side and around to my back. It hurt to breath, yawn, talk, or even touch my skin. We went to the surgeon who had removed my gallbladder and was sent for many tests. Blood work said that  my liver enzymes were normal and I had no infection. I had a HIDA scan and the radiologist said that he saw a bile leak. He took me to another room for a sonogram and he showed us the where the bile was collecting. He then took me to have a contrast CT scan so he would know where to drain. After the tech. questioned me, I all of a sudden didn't have a bile leak, but was referred to a gastrologist for an ERCP.  On March 24, I had an ERCP. It took 2 and 1/2 hours.  I woke up with a stent in my bile duct and one in my pancreas.  I was in hospital for 4 days with moderate pancreatitus. Since that time I have had many spasms like in the middle of my chest up high. I am trying to find out why.  On April 19, I had severe painful spasms. Even narcotic pain meds didn't help much.  I stopped eating and only had water like I did while in the hospital. I had straight water and no food for 48 hours, then started eating soft lowfat foods.  Things are better, but I am still having occassional spasms.  Could this be related to the pancreas? Is all of this a result of having my gallbladder removed? Anyone else have these symptoms?
What may have happened is that if you had sludge in your gallbladder, some of that sludge may have spilled into the common bile duct (CBD) before or during the operation. When that happens, it can irritate the CBD or the sphincter (muscular opening at the duodenum) and the structure can spasm. If it spasms and cuts off the flow of bile into the duodenum, both the bile and the pancreatic fluids can back up into the pancreas and impact that organ, causing pancreatitis.

In some cases, the only way to stop the destructive processes is to stent the bile duct and the pancreatic duct to allow fluids to flow again.

You also need to find out if they did manometry when the ERCP was done and if the pressures were found to be high. In addition, inquire as to whether they did a sphincterotomy, a 'cut' of the sphincter. It may be important to know those pieces of information in the future.

There are a lot of people this happens to unfortunately.

Make sure you ask your doc what his followup plans are, and make sure you discuss the pro's and con's of the procedures with him even though they've already been done.