Gastroenterology Community
sphincter of oddi dysfuntion

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sphincter of oddi dysfuntion

During an ERCP several years ago, I had my sphincter of oddi "cut open" since it was pretty much scar-tissued shut.  Didn't help my URQ pain, even after they eventually rmoved my gallbalder which was also a mess of scar tissue.  ANyway, on one of several "trips of despiration" to the Mayo in Rochester, MN, my interist physically manipulatled my bile duct (she "massaged it HARD) and after about a week of excruiating pain, it seems like she may have managed to loosen up the sludge that had filled the cuct and I haven't had anything but occasional stabbing pains occassionally since.  MY gastro guy never could find any stones on any of my scans/tests.  Just scar tissue and sludge.  No one could explain what happened, but i'm not complaining.  Now, when the stabs happen, I just attempt to "massage" that area as hard as I can tolerate, and it seems to work for a few months.  I can live with that (I think)

This discussion is related to sphincter of oddi dysfuntion.
Does sphincter of oddi occur more often in people that have low functioning gallbladders?
Hi.

I'm not sure.  All I can tell you is about my case.  After my ERCP, I still had no relief from the Upper right quandrant abdominal (URQA) pain and nothing abnormal was showing up on my ultra-sounds and CT scans.  After about a year, a general surgeon took pity on me and removed my gallbladder.  He said that it was just a big mass of scar tissue and probably hadn't been working for a long time.  So, even though they found no stones, my gallbladder was very damaged, probably from "sludge" (sand instead of stones clogging things up).  I still have periodic URQA pain, but as I mentioned before, I massage the heck out of the area of my main bile duct and, although it hurts for several days afterwards, the main pain leaves for several months.

My best guess is that my bile duct is filling with sludge and the massages move the sludge out.  For all I know, my "Oddi" may have closed up again, too.  Not very scientific, but it works and no doctor seems to know what is going on nor do they seem to care.
Hi!
I've actually had that type of massage recommended for me too! It's called visceral manipulation.....

I too have had my gallbladder out and had my sphincter of oddi investigated (showed no problems -AT THE TIME!!!) same old story as everyone Im sure......

They now think my problem may be scar tissue/adhesion related and only surgery, pain management and/or visceral manipulation could help......what are your thoughts? Did the massage make a huge difference?