Gastroenterology Community
sphincter of oddi

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sphincter of oddi

I was diagnosed with sphincter of oddi dysfunction about 4 years ago. I had an ERCP done,by a wonderful doctor, wich caused a very mild case of pancreatitus (pancreatitis). I was told that it was from the surgery and would not come back so I could eat and drink as normal. It has been four years and it seems my sphincter of oddi is returning. Since it has returned I haven't touched alcohol, knowing that it can make it worse, and have been watching what I eat (I eat healthy anyway). Should I be concerned about damage being done to my pancreas and should I even consider another ERCP? I have RUQ pain and burning which is also in my back, nausea, had a small bit of epigastric pain which didn't last long. I have something most of the time but also have periods where I have no pain. It has been only A week and a half. Thanks!
KL
I should mention that the pain does appear on the left on occasion, but it is mainly on the right. I also have a lot of acid reflux which I had last time I had sphincter of oddi. I am 31 years old. I never had pancreatitus (pancreatitis) except for the mild attack I had from the ERCP and the doctor had said that my pancreas looked fine. Thanks again!
You do need to worry about SOD returning. Call your doc if you feel the situation is cropping up again. Also make sure that you haven't started forming stones/sludge in the common bile duct. I'm assuming you no longer have your gallbladder.
No, I do not have my gallbladder...that is where this started! Had very bad nausea and burning pain tonight. Went to the ER. They took lots of blood and everything turned out ok. They did an ultrasound andsaid that everything looked good there too. I may need a CT done to be sure though. However, my amylase and lipase levels were great. My liver was fine. Says there is slight prominence of the pancreatic duct that they suspect is incidental.
Ok...I have been constipated this whole time (I go occasionally). Now I'm hungry, but sometimes I feel full and nauseated. Right when I eat I feel like I have to go to the bathroom (cramping sometimes like diarrhea) but I can barely go. I see a specialist on the 17th and maybe they can help some. I'm sure my sphincter of oddi is back but these other problems make me concerned about my pancreas. It's all stressing me out and giving me anxiety. If anyone has some help, please let me know!
has anyone gained weight with sphincter of oddi