Gastroenterology Community
sphincter of oddi

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

sphincter of oddi

I had my gallbladder removed in sept 2002 and have had problems ever since, I've had acute pancreatitis attacks, i've had 2 stents put in my pancreatic duct which helps for a short period of time. my medical records say i have sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  My attacks seem to get more severe each time.  Now i have nagging pain that lasts all the time. it's in my back in my left shoulder blade. It feels like someone is poking me right in my left side and i also have pain undr my left rib cage and right in the center of my stomach. I'm costantly nauseated, and extremely tired. For the last 3 nights I've came home from work feeling like i was dying, running a fever, chills.  I have an appointment to go see Dr. Sherman at Indiana University Hospital, he's supposed to be the best.

Is there anybody else that's going thru something like this? I'm not sure where to turn doctors around where i live dont seem to understand any of this and i feel so sick. couldnt even get out of bed to go to work this morning, Any advice would be much appreciated.
It sounds like you've got pancreatitis rearing its ugly head again.  When you were diagnosed with SOD, I assume they did a sphincterotomy?  You may be one of the unlucky few who get stuck with chronic pancreatitis.  About all you can do is manage the symptoms of pain and nausea with medication if the stents don't help you.  Ask your doctor if you would be an appropriate candidate for a pain management referral.  I'm so sorry you have to deal with this problem and truly hope your docs can help you.  A good friend of mine had your condition and ended up having 1/3 of her pancreas removed because it became so infected.  It was a very, VERY long recovery - a good 2 years - but she eventually got her life back.  I wish you the best of luck in getting treatment that will help.
Yes i had a sphincterotomy twice, first time was sept 2006 I felt great after i recovered from the ercp pancreatitis. then symptoms started returning in dec 06'  feeling bloated and sick to my stomach then i was fine again until march and then the pain came once again full force and i had another ercp with sphincterotomy may 1, 07 which also gave me pancreatitis, this time worse than the time before  but after a week I felt really good.  Pain started coming back in august.  Had a liver biopsy aug 29 diagnosed with NASH that was truely painfull also, triggered an acute attack of pancreatitis.  My gi doc at the time told me to loose weight and see him in 3 months and sent me on my way said my pain was coming from my liver.  So i switched gastros and got a referral to go to Indianapolis to see Dr. Sherman in hopes he can help me, sometimes i feel i have no where to go.  So i come here for advice.  I appreciate your comment.  
DId you friend run a fever like that?  It seems to only happen in the evening, which is wierd, i figured it had something to do with being on my feet all day, that seems to really take a toll on me.  I've slept all day except for 2 hours and now i'm feeling somewhat human. Once again thanks.
I'll tell you what works for me.  I gave up all processed sugar, hard alcohol, etc -- And use Xanax about once a month.  I think the Xanax relaxes the SOD spasming enough, because the first time I tried it -- My stools went from almost colorless to 10 shades darker overnight.  Ever since, I find that about once a month of using Xanax keeps me pain free, and keeps my bile flowing at a good rate.  I had elevated liver enzymes before, but lost 30 pounds so we don't know yet if that was simply the result of a fatty liver, or if it was because of the SOD.  If you haven't tried some anti-anxiety meds yet, try some Xanax and let us know how it works!