Gastroenterology Community
stapled hemorroidectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stapled hemorroidectomy

I had a stapled hemorroidectomy five months ago but ı have still painful defecation. I have a fissure after the surgery but also I feel a staple when I apply cream to my rectum. May ithe reason of my pain  be the staple? Also I wonder if the staples will pass out or remain there for life?
Hi nilkokcu,

I want to Welcome you to our PM (Pain Management) Forum and let you know how glad we are that you have found us!!

I'm so very sorry to hear of the pain you are having after the hemorrhoidectomy!!  I had one 40 years ago after my 2nd child was born and I remember the pain from it to this day. I, also, had a second one and again remember the pain of it, also!!  Fortunately, when I had mine, they didn't use staples only dissolving stitches. I had no idea that they were using staples. That sounds extremely painful just hearing about it!!  "OUCH"!!  

I have no idea if the staples are going to come out by themselves.  I would definitely think that if they are still in there they could be causing you plenty of pain!!  I know that I request stitches every time I have surgery as the staple cause me more pain than anything else I can think of after surgery.  I know that in all other surgeries that I've had when they used the staples they always came in and removed them after 10 days to 2 weeks.  From my experience I would think that they would have to be removed.  Have you called your Doctor and asked?  

I would think that the "fissure" could also be adding to your pain. It sounds as though it all makes for a "perfect storm" when it comes to pain for you.  It's terrible that you are having to continue to experience all of this pain.

You definitely need to let your Doctor know of the difficulty and the pain that you are having.  Let him know that you are still "feeling" a staple when you apply the cream to your rectum.  It may be a staple that didn't come out because it has become imbedded and can't "get out" on it's own.  

After 5 months things should be back to normal and you shouldn't be having this difficulty.  Anyway, I was "back to normal" well before 5 months after both of mine.  I hope that you will keep us informed after you talk with your Doctor and he has examined you to see what's going on.

Again, I'm very glad that you have found us and hope that you will continue to post on here as your experiences would be a great asset to this Forum!! :)

You might also post this on the Gastroenterology  Forum as they might have some more ideas for you.  Here's the link for it:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Gastroenterology/show/68

I'm sorry that I can't help you more than I have but hopefully some of this will be able to help you.  Someone else may be along that has experienced this also, that can help you, too. We have a lot of great people on here!!  :)

I wish you the very best and will be looking for your updates and hope you get some relief very soon!!!...........Sherry  :)

Thank you very much for your attention. As for my doctor, he wasn't convinced about my pain although I explained my condition as you suggested. He said that everything was normal and sent me away by prescribing depression pills. But I'm sure of myself and my pain is nothing psyhcological but real. Some other doctors I see say different things about staples and seem to lack detailed information and knowledge about complications of this PPH surgery. Some suggest fissure surgery. Now I want to be sure if the pain is just because of fissure. After that I will try to heal my fissure by creams etc. and have surgery if it doesn't heal.