Gastroenterology Community
stomach cramps that last hours/stress/anxiety

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

i do not usually post on things like this, but i am looking for answers. i have had stomach cramps off and on for about 2 months. first off i deal with pretty bad anxiety and i am pretty much a hypo. i drink a little more then average on the weekends. i feel like there is always somthing wrong with me and i think about it pretty much all day at work and it is really affecting how i do my job. i have been off and on buspar for about 2 years 10 mg.

these stomach pains are nothing i have ever experienced before. pepto or milanta do nothing for me. they can last for as long as 12 hours with no relief. the pains are on the right side of my very upper abdoman right under the ribs. the pain as of right now is gone but has gone to my back so now my back hurts same area.

i have been to the doctor and had no blood in stool or any lumps or things out of the ordinary. he put me on some trial packs of nexium that dont really seem to have an affect so i dont think it is acid reflux related or heart burn. i just went on vacation and didnt experience any pains while gone from work. i had a bad panic attack that triggered this cramp on tuesday and it has lasted off and on 2 days later. i really think that it is stress/anxiety related since my job is so stressful. i am going to the doctor in the morning and am looking for alternatives. i really dont want to take any medication that is going to mess me up.

what could be causing these stomach cramps to last so long it just doesnt seem normal to me.
I am experiencing similar issues right now. Did the anxiety start before the pains or could it be from worrying on what the pains are? My pain started as a cramp in my upper abdomen and woke me up out of bed, after numerous tests the doctor was not able to find an exact cause so now I'm panicking. I do not doubt that what you are experiencing is stress related, but I would get a second opinion.