Gastroenterology Community
stomach issues and chest pains.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stomach issues and chest pains.

For about the last month or so I have been experiencing some stomach problems. It originally started one morning when I was lying in bed watching tv. I got a sudden onset of shortness of breath, and just didn't feel like I was getting enough air. I ended up going to sleep, and when I woke up the shortness of breath was gone.  This happened multiple times over a couple of weeks at random. Usually going to sleep would take it away and I would wake up fine. I then began experiencing random chest pains, pains in my left arm, muscle contractions, and tingling of my arms and feet which scared me. I believe I was making them worse with anxiety and may have been having attacks. One day it got so bad that I decided I better go to the hospital just to make sure it wasn't something serious. I went, and they did all the usual tests. EKG, Chest X-ray's, Heart Monitor, and said that everything looked OK. So they gave me an Ativan, and told me to get some rest. By the time I left the hospital I was feeling much better. I had a scheduled doctor's appointment 4 days later. The next morning is when I believe my stomach issues began. It started with diarrhea in the morning's then the feeling of not needing to go later in the day. I was only going in the morning's. Then the next day I had diarrhea and it was yellow. So I looked online and it said that could be insufficient bile output or GERD. I also felt like I was having trouble burping and usually when I would liquid or saliva would come up. I then developed an almost constant gurgling in my stomach. Below the breast bone on my left side in the high abdomen. The next day I wanted to try flush my system out, So I drank a lot of water about a gallon and a half throughout the entire day. The next morning I woke up went to the bathroom and didn't have diarrhea. It was still very soft and yellowish. I went to the doctor's that day, and he checked everything out. He said all of the problems I was having could be attributed to anxiety and some acid reflux.  He wrote me two prescription's one for Sertraline, and another for acid reflux. Protonix I believe it was. After hearing that it was just anxiety I guess I had a sigh of relief, and most of those symptoms have gone away. I no longer have the shortness of breath, rapid pulse, muscle contraction's, tingling,  Etc. I do however still have the problems with my stomach. I still get the gurgling in the same area often. Burps of saliva liquid or food.(food rarely) The diarrhea has stopped, but my stools still seem loose or soft. I know this is disgusting, but when I wipe it sometimes looks like a mucus or slime. I also still get some chest pains. Usually only on the left side with them being a sharp quick pain that happens randomly. I can't really pinpoint the pain, but it feels like it's lower than or behind my breast bone or near the area where the gurgling has happened. It sometimes feels lower or higher in the chest. It usually only lasts for a couple of seconds, but happens multiple times randomly. I have a follow up appointment in a couple of days, and I'll make sure to mention all of the above to him, it kinda felt like he brushed most of the stuff away last time, but I will make a point to him that I really want to get everything checked out to be sure seeing as I only have about 3 months left on my parents insurance.  In the meantime I'd like and welcome anyone to chime in if they have or had similar symptoms, and what the causes and diagnosis were. Sorry for the long post lol. Thanks.
Sounds like anxiety to me, but there's no such thing as "just anxiety". Take that seriously. The chemicals your brain produces to cope with anxiety, over the long term, can have serious consequences for the rest of your body. Pain will feed the anxiety, and you'll find yourself in a frustrating and worsening cycle.

Catch it early. While you're waiting for lab results, begin to exercise more. This does not mean join a gym (unless you want to). This means move more than you are currently moving. Rhythmic breathing helps too. The goal is to get your head out of the past and future into right now so that your brain stops making the stress hormone for awhile. If you tell your doctor what steps you are taking to manage anxiety, he will be much less likely to dismiss you out of hand.

Good job on taking responsibility for your own health at a young age!

Be well :)
See a GI doctor! While you are there ask him/her about a "Vegus Nerve" response, or google it. See if you find your situation there. As for the stools, see the GI doctor!