Gastroenterology Community
stomach liver ast test

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stomach liver ast test

hi everyone,  I am new here and great to see people helping out each other in such big numbers....

My question is ... I started drinking at age of 24. Since then i became a binge drinker and took almost 4 beers a day. Last year I got my LFT done and my ast was 164 and alt 224. I became tensed and cut down my drinking. I again got my LFT done after two months and my ast 84 and alt 93. I got relieved. I continued the same way ie drinking some days heavily and not drinking some days at all. Again after two months my ast 31 and alt 45. I was very happy. I was also started taking milk thistle. Two weeks back i got my LFT and my ast 28 and alt 31. I also decided for ultrasound which came back very normal with size and everything.

But then i came across this forum and i have read in so many posts that people's LFT and ultrasound are normal but they are still getting signs of cirrhosis. My question is that is liver biospy the only way to check cirrhosis. I don't want to go for biospy because of its risk and pain. Is there any way else to find out about my liver.

I was having stomach pain since last week but it was not only to my right side but around my navel area and my food pipe, so i went to gasteronologist... He is going to do my endoscopy... hopefully it is just stomach disorder. I also asked him to check my liver and by touching my stomach and based on my LFT and ultrasound reports he said that my liver is fine.... But I am still tensed about my liver... There are no other symptoms except for pain but that is too all over stomach...

please tell me what you think of my liver and any kind of test (not biopsy) wich is more accurate than LFT and US

vicky