Gastroenterology Community
stomach pains, colds sweats, and fainting.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm 19 and i've been going through this for about three years now. I will get a sharp horrible pain in my lower stomach at any time during the day or night. It usually leads to me going to the bathroom with diarrhea. I than usually feel like im going to throw up but i never do. I also get the cold sweats and on some occasions I pass out. I have passed out about three times now. I usually get the stomach pains,diarrhea and cold sweats around once a month or once every two months about. My mom has the same thing but hers happen less often than mine do but probably 8 years ago hers were just has bad as mine are if not worse because she fainted more. I haven't had a chance to see the gastroenterologist yet and if anyone can help me that would be great. I just want some idea about what might be wrong me my mom and i. If anyone has any information that might help me please let me know!
Makes me think of gallstones, but I really don't know about that sort of thing very well.  I do know I used to get gas whenever I'd eat a big meal after not eating for a while, it hurt like mad to where I had to lay down, and my grandmother had it, too, and she told me to drink an alka seltzer.  I released the gas, returned my acidic self into alkaline, and the aspirin helped the discomfort.  Just took 20 mins or so and I'd be okay again.  Today it's called Original Alka Seltzer, without all those cold things in it.  Only other thing is sometimes fruit eaten WITH a meal will cause this, so try to eat it either before the rest of the meal or only as a snack.

And just to in general make sure you two have got the eating thing right, to prevent indigestion takes three things as a habit:  drink plenty of extra water, get plenty of exercise, and eat some fiber foods each day like oat cereal, whole grain bread, vegies and salads.  Also, try to not skip or go too light on any meals, try to stop eating before you're completely full, and get enough protein.
One other thing, on the fainting part, whenever you two get this way, try to do some deep breathing... sometimes when people are in pain, they breathe too shallowly or quickly, so draw in a deep breath, hold it for a couple seconds, blow it out, breathe normal a couple times, and repeat all this a few times. In addition, be careful when you get up, like if you wind up in the bathroom and stand too quickly, instead ease on up slowly.

Also, next time you see your regular family doc, ask him to please do some bloodwork to see if you might be anemic.  Could be you two get that way sometimes, and the nausea and faintness and sweat could be symptoms of perhaps an iron deficiency or not enough protein in the diet.  Then just the nausea and nervousness from fainting will be enough to totally wreck your digestion.
thanks! i do the breathing thing whenever i get the pain at first it helps a lot but sometimes the pain and fainting come so fast i don't have time to take anything or do breathing.