Gastroenterology Community
stomach spasm

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stomach spasm

Hi, All of a sudden today I started getting spasm in the upper part of my stomach where your rib cage meets your stomach, the stranges part of it all is there is no pain its allmost like my stomach is having a 5 to 10 second seasure every 5 to 20 minutes. Is this something to look into?
That depends. Was it on the upper left or upper right abdomen? (I'll presume it was the upper left, hence "stomach".) And how's your digestion been lately? More heartburn or bloating than usual? Any pain, separate from the spams?

It might have been something you ate: a particularly fibrous vegetable, a lot of meat, a large meal. It might stress. It might be gas. It might just be twitch. If it continues to happen over the next few days, contact a doctor, as it might indicate a possible stomach nerve or muscle issue. In the meantime, keep your diet very simple: boiled vegetables and soft foods: nothing that would stress your stomach out. (Nix the coffee, extra fibrious veggies like raw collard greens, and fried/fatty foods.) Reintroduce the foods when/if your stomach settles down.

Good luck.
yeah actualy I've been having heart burn for the last few days versus the occasional accid reflux, I drink alot of coffee. more so than usual today.
Alright, first and foremost surrender the coffee for now. Trust me on this one, the stuff is bad for you at this point. (Teeccinno is a WONDERFUL substitute.) Next is get yourself to a doctor. They'll probably prescribe a few weeks of some type of antacid, but they may also have you do some testing. If you're all paranoid and have good health coverage, you might want to request to see a gastroenterologist to make sure there's really nothing more serious going on. Even if you're not, if the symptoms persist or get worse over the next few weeks (ex: nausea, regurgitation, bloating, pain in the region, etc.) go see a gastro.

In the meantime, as I said, surrender the coffee. Stick to a very bland diet (no spicy spicy!) emphasizing easy to digest, low-fat foods. If you can, go to your local health mart and grab yourself some DGL and aloe vera juice, as well as some chamomile tea, and start ingesting these regularly (as per the packages with the Aloe and DGL).

Good luck
I always have spasms on my left side and I take prilosac everyday. I use to have health coverage and seen a gastro years ago and he said I had alot of problems going on ..well now I have lost my insurance and I need help.  I can not afford doctors and I am afraid my stomach is getting worse.  When I eat I hurt and get nauseaed alot, I have given up alot of foods but  it still does it.  I guess I will always regret not having done  better in my life since I cannot get good doctors care/health inurance, for those of you in my boat welcome cuz your not alone..
If you have a question please post it as its own post because this one is so old.