Gastroenterology Community
stomach upset constantly

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stomach upset constantly

I have an 11 year old daughter that has complained about constantly feeling sick. Sometimes its cramps or pain under her right rib cage but most of all she said she feels like she is going to throw up, 90% of the time it happens at night and a small percentage in the morning. Usually misses 1 day a week from school. Diarrhea once a week as well.
This started in July of 2006 she had a bout of the flu throwing up etc. When we went to emerg that day they said her bowels were very very noisy and said it was just a gastro flu which was fine but since then she always feels gross (no throwing up)
When she complains about this feeling which can be high or low in her abdomin (abdomen) she starts to toot a lot and to me always looks bloaty (nerves) who knows anymore ???
She has had ultrasound, x-ray on her bowels and everything seems fine. As well aside the stomach issues they found a small trace of protein in her urine, she did a 24 hour sample in November and the protein was within normal amounts but the doctor said her albumin or creatinine was a little up, I was confused and of course did not ask more questions because he was so busy and I could sense this on the phone. Anyways he said he was not too worried and that she can come back in May 2007 and do another 24 hour. Anyways I just don't know what to do for her (she is home sick right now) Our family doctor just keeps saying its digestive stuff but when do I know to pursue this further?
The symptoms your daughter has sound very familiar to me. I had gastrointestinal truoble for years and all the doctors I visited couldn't  find anything.Many tests were run and there were no clue about the causes of my problems.
After years of pain and trouble I startet educating myself and finally  suggested to be tested for gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease - and this was the right diagnosis. I recommend that you do some research about this and ask your doctor that your daughter should be tested for this condition.
Celiac disease or gluten intolrerance or sensitivity is an allergy against the protein in most grains: wheat, barley, rye and oats and can result in variety of abdominal symptons including diarrhea and severe bloting.
The testing  for this condition so far was done by a small bowel boipsy, which is not a very pleasant procedure, but now  there is a very reliable test available in form of stool testing.
You can contact www.enterolab.com, they do the testing and send you a test kid to your home with all you need for testing and you can do the test in the conveniance of your  home and send the sample back to the lab from where you get the results.This is what I did. Now I am on a special diet avoiding all these grains and my life has completely changed and I am pain and symptom free.

Good luck for your daughter, may be this suggestion could be helpful.
If your doctor is sceptic, don't rely on him, but do the testing. Many doctors are not well educated about Celiac disease, sorry to say that, but this was my experience.If they had been, and I had seen many many..., I wouldn't have suffered for so many years.
Thanks for your comments, today she has a doc appt and I will mention this to him.
ALso did you ever have protein etc in your urine?
is your daughter thin?
My 11 year old daughter feels nauseas most of the time and has developed a fear of throwing up and of food.  she is very thin and all her blood work has come back normal.  we will be seeing an anxiety expert in the near future but I would love any ideas about how to help her feel better.  does anyone know if high cortisol levels cause nausea?