stopped drinking and enzymes went up
I went to my doctor last month for a check up and my blood tests showed that my ast was 36 and my alt was 85.  My doctor told me to stop drinking alcohol and they would redo the labs.  I stopped for 2 weeks and retook the labs.  This time my ast is 43 and my alt is 95.  Why would they go up?  My doctor wants me to stop drinking for 4 weeks and retake the labs again.  I am concernd but should I be more concerned.  I consider myself a heavy drinker of beer stopping is not a problem.  Any thoughts of what I might be looking at?
If your GGT is normal it may not be alcohol causing the problem.  However it doesn't hurt to stop drinking because the alcohol could add to the load on the liver.  Are you overweight? Are you diabetic? Do you have high chol/trigs? All of these can contribute to raised liver enzymes.

Good luck.
I am not overwieght and all of my other levels are normal.  I dont exercise enough.  I dont have diabetes although my dad has it.  Because my enzyme levels went up after stopping my alcohol intake for 2 weeks i am worried that it is something else.  I definitly plan on stopping my drinking. Thank you for your response.