Gastroenterology Community
stumped over stomach spasms

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

stumped over stomach spasms

My daughter who is now 11 has been having severe stomach cramps since she was 3.  At first they were few and far between, now she wakes up crying nearly every morning.  She has been to have upper and lower GI, which was 2 years ago.  She was diagnosed with a mild case of gastritis.  They put her on pepcid 2x a day and that didn't help.  They thought maybe it was her nerves and put her on zoloft, which i am glad to say was no help, (didnt want her on zoloft).  And now they have her on zantac teice a day and hyoscyamine every 6 hours as needed.  She is too young to have to go through this and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas that i could run by her doctor is stumped.
Try food elimination.  The most offending foods are usually gluten (in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats) and milk products.  If they don't stop the pain, move onto other foods.
At least it's something to try and usually works for a lot of people.  It worked for me - 95% of my pain was from gluten - the other 5% was from milk products.  And it worked for my daughter.  My other daughter won't stick with the diet, but it helped her also when she tried it for a little while.  Hope this helps.