Gastroenterology Community
swollen lymph nodes

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

swollen lymph nodes

can IBS cause swollen lymph nodes?

Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
Enlarged lymph nodes anywhere in the body are usually caused by infections, inflammations and lymphomas or leukaemias. Intestinal disorders like Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, or irritable bowel syndrome also cause widespread inflammation and lead to enlarged lymph nodes.Anti-inflammatory medications can reduce swelling of the lymph nodes. It is essential to obtain an accurate diagnosis for correct management of your condition. Do write to us again with more queries and information.
Best luck and regards!
I'm a little surprised to read that IBS can cause widespread inflammation and would love to see the citations documenting that. To my knowledge no inflammatory processes are found. The only small changes that can be seen with testing - if it's found at all - may be in the very early stages if a colonoscopy is done. In biopsies taken at that stage, some increase in the amount of mast cells may be located in the flexures.

If you're having swollen lymph nodes I'd suggest you check with your physician to see what conditions over and above the presence of IBS can be found.