Gastroenterology Community
thickening of colon

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

thickening of colon

I am 46 year old female.  In January I had the flu (vomiting, diarhrea, chills, low grade fever).  Then in February, same symptons.  I went to my family practioner who thought I had diverticulosis.  He ordered cat scan.  It showed I have thickening of colon and mentioned jejuneum.  He sent me to gastroenterologist who thought I had Crohn's disease, but performed upper endoscopy and colonsocopy the same day. He no longer thinks I have Crohn's disease. He took biopsies and I don't have the results yet, but he thought the biopsies looked normal.  My blood work was also normal.  I have to go to the hospital for a small bowel follow through with more pictures.  What else can they test for and will the thickening of the colon go away by itself?
They can't get into the jenunum with either the EGD or the colonoscopy, so you don't have an answer to whether or not you truly have Crohn's yet. And unless you have Crohn's colitis or ulcerative colitis, nothing would be seen in the large intestine.

The SBFT will help give you an answer, but make sure you also discuss the pill camera and running a series of tests such as the Prometheus Serology 7 test which shows 'markers' for Crohn's in some individuals early on.
CalGal is correct in suggesting the Prometheus Serology 7 test.  I had the very same symptoms.  Flu like chills etc. except that my fever did spike.  I had already had a colonoscopy and it did not show chrons.  However, the gi dr could not get into my small intestine.  That is where mine was located.  The pain was in the lower right side.  The test showed that I had the marker for chrons.  

The SBFT also showed that I had chrons.

Best of luck
What is the thickening of the bowel thing about.

Im currently under investigation for Abdo and Back pain and scheduled for a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.

THe doctor has done a simple Xray and siad that it looked like I had thickening of the bowel on the left side, but didn't explain what it meant, Im 31yrs

Thanks Rich