Gastroenterology Community
tight band under rib cage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

tight band under rib cage

i have been diagnosed with oesophageal ulcer gastric erosions ?barretts oesophagus hiatus hernia. Was put on nexium which did indeed help over a period of about 2 weeks. Band under ribcage has suddenly come back despite taking nexium 2 daily what is the caiuse of this band under ribcage it is driving me nuts No problems eating although i was getting breathlessness before meds started

This discussion is related to Size of Hiatal Hernia.
I would love to here people respond because that is exactly the way my problems began.
Sorry to say I didn't take the Nexium right away. That was 3 yrs ago, I had pain in "Xiphoid" area, the tip of the sternum and also sob, quit smoking.  Thought for sure it was lung related and still may be, just weird to have all these things pop up within a few months. Honestly, I still get this and then "it" goes into remission!
Have a gastro and pulmo but no "real" answers!!

SoIf you do find out more PLEASE post!!
Are you a man, I only ask because in the beginning I was treated soo poorly
like a mental case, hey maybe I have my issues, but that didn't and doesn't mean
that I dont know my body!  Good Luck, I'm sure you'll get some good responses here.
I have had a tight band across my diaphragm, causing chronic pressure below my ribcage, for 4 years. It is usually in the left upper quadrant, but sometimes involves the right u/quad too.18 mths ago it began seriously to interfere with my breathing, as it affects the secondary muscles of respiration, and within the last year I have been diagnosed with severe brittle asthma which has developed as a direct result of the chronic inflammation in the diaphragm.
.  
I have had multiple investigations - scopes, scans, biopsies, lung function, blood tests etc.  

The following were found to be normal : - lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, g.bladder, small bowel. There is some minor diverticular disease in the colon, nothing to worry about apparently, and in no way could this be the cause of the chronic pain in the diaphragm..  

4 yrs ago I had gastritis, which was brought under control with PPIs and H2 blockers.  I still take H2 blockers.

I have severe multiple food intolerances. Have been through 4 exclusion diets under supervision of a dietitian, and we are sure we have now excluded all the culprit foods and drinks.  

The pain and pressure in the diaphragm are always constant, but can get very much worse due to inflammation triggered by any physical exertion that uses my diaphragm muscles. This could be an action as simple as reaching up to get something off a high shelf in the grocery store. It can leave me in agony for a week afterward.

I have not found anything that helps reduce the diaphragm pain. I was prescribed Ketotifen (an antihistamine) but the smallest dose made me fall asleep in the daytime.   Diazepam 2 mg is effective as a relaxant but also makes me so tired I cannot function.   None of the antispasmodics for the gut help as they seem to work on the bowel, and I do not have bowel spasms. So they cause me to become constipated.

I can't take NSAIDs or steroids as I am allergic to them.

I have had 6 hypnotherapy sessions, which relaxed me nicely but did not get rid of the tightness and pressure in the diaphragm.

Does anyone have any advice as to what might help manage the pain, and reduce the inflammation ?

Thank you.  

thanks for your comments i never get pain with the pressure and tightness so i cant help there I feel as though i want to push everything down its a horrible feeling. Have another scope end of April to see if meds have improved ulcers heres hoping. I had a barium swallow prior to my endoscopy which showed everything normal how wrong they were.Can anyone tell me if there is any ither way to have an endoscopy besides medazalam and pethedine sedation i knew everything that was going on gross.
hi there no I am a woman hoping to have more information on tightness and bloating under ribs after scope at end of April
Well i have had my scope it appears that my oesophageal ulcer has healed with the meds. The problem is I still have the band under the ribs with the bloated feeling have difficulty bending forward as i get a weird sensation where i have to straighten up quickly otherwise really uncomfortable sensation like something is moving upwards and i have to try and push it down but it doesnt work. Still have gastritis according to consultant and have to take ppi 2 daily total 40mg. I have been taking these now for about 10 weeks with no relief any ideas what this discomfort could be its driving me nuts. What is the usual time for meds to start working on gastritis
I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM . IT IS VERY ANNOYING. IF YOU GET ANY INFO PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
I know how you are feeling. I have a tight band beneath my rib cage as well. It does not hurt so it is hard  to explain to someone how dbilitating it is. It is just very tight and it feels like that area of your stomach or diaphragm or whatever that area is, is pushing up under your ribcage/lungs. It even makes it difficult for me to breathe or get a good breath anyway. I am in the process of having some tests done so I will let you know if I find anything out and I hope you will post again if you find out something. In the meantime you should look up the MS hug as well as radiculopathy both of thos create that girdle like tight band. Good luck!
been back to my gastro who says i am to stay on meds indefinately still doesnt know what is causing the band. Went back to my GP and he also does not know what is casing the problem he is stumped as he puts it.Have you had any more luck
thanks
Could it be costocondritis? I had the same problem and went to gastrointestinal doctors and they thought irritable bowel syndrome. Costocondritis causes a tight feeling around ribcage, and the ribs feel sore. It hurts to wear a bra and you feel like maybe you're bloated
I have suffered the same things as jenniwrenne for at leats 10 years on and off. The reaching up action setting the 'puffing' and pain off is spot on! I also get heart palpitations sometimes with it. I have costocondritis which comes and goes and sometimes the cartlidge in the centre of my chest where the ribs join becomes so inflamed that it swells up and feels like a sausage just under my skin about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. The pain is sharp and on a scale of 0 - 10 can reach 5 or 6. Mine is caused by degeneration of my spine and the pain 'refers' around my ribs to the front. It took me 10 years to establish this after every test known to man and seeing doctor after doctor. Finally one Chinese doctor who I tried in desperation just looked at me, pushed my back and the pain shot around to the front and there was the answer.
I  have a hiatus hernia too which affects that area and sometimes when it plays up I get breathless, asthma type problems also. All I can do is take 2mg Valium, rub deep heat cream on my sore chest and take it easy till it decides to calm down for a while.It is debilitationg when it's full on, that's for sure.
Hilda, check for a hiatus hernia - ask your doc. Others try the back exam for the chest band and pain. Just have somebody press down the vertabrae starting at your neck and working down, I bet 4,5,6 in your vervical spine hurt. They all told me - don't bend, don't reach up and manage your pain! Sorry that's it; pay at reception on your way out. Can't offer any solutions I'm afraid.
Kev
Hi thanks for your comments I notice when i get the weird feeling of something moving under my ribs that when i try to push it back down i can get a very slight clicking sensation. I am now wondering if this is cartilage. I went back to my consultant yesterday for a follow up and he reckons that it is probably the bowel moving slightly out of position as i have in the past suffered with very bad chronic constipation.He says this is nothing to worry about???? I have had chostochondritis in the past but ended up in hospital thought i was having a heart attack couldnt take a breath in it was soo painful.
At the moment i still have the bloating and the band which actually seems to be worsening Am still on nexium 40mg which consultant says is maximum dose and he cannot do anything for me. Anyone have any ideas its driving me nuts. I do suffer with osteoarthritis of the spine will try your suggestion of pressing on spine thanks
have you been for your tests yet just wondering. I have been back to GP who sent me for another abdo scan small cyst on liver and fatty liver which he says comes as you age but shouldnt be cause of band and bloating am at the end of my tether help becoming depressed and frightened to bend forward as whatever it is causing the problemmoves up under my ribcage driving me nuts
Your comment fits me to a tee.  Feel like I have a bra on even when I don't.
Have a dr's appointment on Monday.  Hope to find out more then.
I been suffering from discomfort under my breast bone in a central position which goes through to my back, i have noticed it started a few hours after i picked up something heavy???? not sure if that had anything to do with it!!, It also feels worse on stretching and breathing in has anyone got any ideas what this could be.. havnt seen my gp yet..
I'm having the same symptoms as well, a sever tightness just under my rib cage.  I've had all the test, but still no idea.  One docter said it was IBS.  I wish there was somthing that would help.
I feel like I've had this problem ever since I was a kid and now it is sort of coming back (im 25) but with a little nausea and indigestion after meals. I'm 5'10 165 fairly good health..But I do strain with some heavy lifting at work sometimes. I might just schedule a check up with the doc it's overdue anyways
Isn't that a hiatal hernia?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiatal-hernia/DS00099
I have been experiencing the above conditions for just over 2 weeks now and they progressed as follows:

1.  One night I got wasted - woke up in the morning, went to work on limited to no sleep feeling like a train wreck, and dealt with the stress of the day, high anxiety, and after lunch a strange tightness formed in the center of my chest, directly below my sternum, that was not unbearable, but annoying and alarming.  The anxiety exacerbated the tightness, which did not subside for nearly a week.

2. I play soccer and run regularly, and I find when I do, generally the tightness goes away the day after, only to return within a 48 hour period.  However, when it returned the first time it wasn't nearly as painful as the initial first few days.  Its a tightness that is somewhat relieved when stretching back, or moving, but it is uncomfortable sitting in a cubicle or driving, I constantly find myself moving to "adust my internal setting" is the best way I can describe it.  I have found that if I have a suddent tense feeling of anxiety it also comes back (such as a high-tense situation while driving, or being caught off guard).

3. The symptoms manifest primarily while at work or right before I go to sleep.  Often the uncomfortable feeling is coupled with heart palpitations and semi-heat flashes.

Idiot's Diagnosis:  I personally believe it is either a small hiatial hernia or anxiety.  I am 25, with no history of heart conditions, and I am in semi-decent shape.  I have yet to go to the doctor to get it looked at because it seems to oscillate weekly.  I am going to increase exercise, primarily running, to see if it alleviates the annoying symptoms.

Very strange.
I also have the tight band around my ribcage.  After doing hours and hours of research, I found some information which may help us.  This band is also referred to as a "girdle" band.   Please see http://www.bettermedicine.com/books/algorithmic-diagnosis-of-symptoms-and-signs/girdle-pain.   I hope this helps.
I have Ulcerative Colitis which my consultant and GP have not managed to get me into remission due to the drugs not being right for me.

I have now started recently having come of some drugs - with this band under my rib cage and pain down the centre of my rib cage.  On listening to some of the comments above, some seem to think it is related to the Gastrointestinal part of the body, which would fit in with my condition, so perhaps this is part of the bowel system.

I am due to have a second opinion in the next two weeks so will have this checked out, will come back if I find any information relating to this.
i am a 20 year old woman and i have been feeling this horrible tightness in my middle/lower right and middle rib cage that sometimes travels to my back for the past 7 or so months, it hurts to breathe in too far and to breathe out to much, I do have lymes disease but i dont think its what is causing the problem, i just dont even know what i should begin to look for, but its starting to make breathing hard when im at work? any suggestions?
Hello, I too have been experiencing very similiar pain surrounding mostly the upper left handside of the abdomen. It's not constant but usually occured every 2-4 months after eating. Every few months id experience this chronic pain where it would be so bad id go to emergency and was too perscribed the nexium.. I've been told Gallstones, Chronic indegestion, and ulcers. I dont exactly no what the problem is but ever since i stopped drinking coke a cola i have stopped having this chronic pain..so i think its wise to u all if u get down on accidic foods. :)
i am so glad you post this because i have been dealing with this for years and didn't know how to describe it or what to tell the doctor. its that muscle above my stomach under my ribs that is so tight, especially when i stand. its a tight stretch. not so bad if im sitting to lying down. i have been told for years i got asthma but i never believed it. been on asthma meds for years to has no effect on the breathing. i bring fine but not  as good because that muscle is so tight. all started when i had my first panic attack and just anxiety over the years which is usually in my stomach. my stomach muscles are over tight. if i could just fine a cure to relax that muscle i would feel 1000 times better!!! i have had cat scans and endoscopys and the only found was fibriod on my uterus but this has been this way long before that. HELP!!!
I have the same problem that everyone is talking about!!! Tight sometimes painful rib/abdomen problem... My chiropractor told me I have a Hiatal Hernia.. He has been trying to adjust it for me.. But it also depends on your diet too.. So if I don't eat well it will hurt even worse.. I am still in treatment with some results but it is still very hard to even live with day to day.. Stay as natural and healthy as possible..
When I lay flat on my back to sleep I will wake up about 3 to 4 hrs later with my abdomen swollen and aching. When I sit up it seems to go away in about 1 hour. It's like something closes up when I lay flat and opens up when I sit Up. Does anyone have these same symtoms (symptoms)? Any Ideas?
Hi, I contracted chicken pox and developed the same symptom. Has anyone gotten idea yet about what causes the condition?
Hi there, did you have any findings from the below info? I've been dealing with this for about 5 years now...I'm only 27 and no one seems to know what's going on.--------------------------------------------------

Mine finally goes away, after about one month. The symptom started to subside after about 2 weeks, and now after about a month, I would say 99% of the symptom has gone away! (touch wood). I didn't do anything. Lots of rest and continue to exercise and eat nutritious food.

I think what happened was a nerve was probably affected by chicken pox virus and sent wrong signal to the muscle at left rib cage area, and as the nerve heals, the symptom also goes.

I too have the rib cage tightness with a small lump like just under the zyphoid. I noticed it more prominent after yawning one night holding in the breath and feeling as if something herniated. I believe its a herniated diaphragm. Cause it just didn't hurt as bad until I quit taking muscle relaxes and ill know more after I visit Henry Ford hospital Detroit to heck on my brain tumor in June of 2012.... FYI. No relation to chest band tightness....ruled out.hope this helps...chad v.
I can relate to all of you. I've had this for over a year now, and have also had all of the tests and prescribed Nexium 40 mg.  The pressure is so debilitating that I dont want to do or go anywhere because I am so miserable.  I was diagnosis with degenerative disc disease a few years back and took anti-inflamatories by the boatload. Finally a chiropractor was able to give me some relief for that.  I think that is when the problem of the tightness and pressure began. I was reading all of the above posts and a light bulb went off! Of course referred pain from my back! Anyway a long story short, I already had a "spine worx" so I just began using it.  I am now 2 days without pressure. In fact I feel so light that I feel exhilerated! I have my fingers crossed that this continues......the best I have felt in a long, long time.  Thanks to all who care enough to post, it really does help.  
I have pain in the xiphoid area.   My bra feels so tight n I wear a wireless bra.. I stomach gets so bloated.   I feel worse after I eat n under stress n if I'm starving.    I had a endoscopy done n showed I have gastritis n diverticulum but I'm not convinced its related to that.     When my stomach is bloated it feels so heavy     Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?
I know this is an old post. But would love to know if any of you have recovered fully. My tight feeling started under mt right rib then spread under my left rib. Now I have a very tight feeling going all around from the tip of my left hip up to under my rib across the upper stomach and down to my right hip. Also have a dull pain in stomach under my sternum. Was told by drs that I might have an ulcer and was given an any acid to take for a month and an gestrascopy ordered in 5 months time. While I was on meds the dull ach in my stomach was improving but now back with the vengeance. Also my bm have changed, mostly runny ones even though I take probiotic regularly. Was told that it could also be IBS. I was diagnosed with this 10 years ago and then had pain in lower abdomen. However I don't have pain just uncomfortable tightness. Really getting depressed! Anybody???
I feel the same way! I can't hardly stand to wear a bra, I feel like I'm being squeezed to death right in the center of my upper abdomen where you rib cage just meets. It's not so much pain as it is pressure! And when I eat I literally HAVE to undo my bra because it feels like my food is stuck there!!! To the point of throwing up sometimes. It also cause me to feel quite anxious!
I had this feeling slightly before I had my gallbladder removed and now that it is gone I have the same feeling but ten times worse.  I constantly feel like I have to pull my bra band off of my stomach to get some relief.  I also have a burning type pain feeling that goes along with it.  I do think this might be caused by gastritis or some kind of stomach irritation even though I haven't been diagnosed with that.  Hope we all find some kind of relief!
I have had this symptom for about two years. I have  Post Prandial Distress Syndrome  acording to the Rome III criteria. Googld this.

Mine is worse in the PM. My bra is too tight.  I think that it is an irritation of the vagus, which also innervates the stomach. I take Buspar or buspirone, 15mg three times a day before meals and kep an extra dose on hand for the mid-afternoon.  This relieves the symtome of post prandial bloating and the bra-thing. It is generic and well-toleratic. Try it.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I have been watching similar forums of people suffering from unknown pain and this is the first time someone come up with a cure, Can you please share the symptoms you had exactly because many symptoms were mentioned above, this will help the rest of us to know whether it's the same condition or different
for the rest of us here, let's please share some of our lifestyle and other information which could be associated with this strange feeling, please use the below template to explain your situation...

Age: 38
Gender: male
Lifestyle: office work.
Associated psychological distress before pain started: Yes, had two years of distress due to one family member passing away due to cancer.
Pain started since: two and a half years.
Pain duration: almost 24hrs - fluctuate up and down.
Pain description: fullness in the area under the rib, one side or both sides, moves to the back, very uncomfortable during sitting or driving, like a tight belt glued to the area under the rib, the pain can't be touched or felt, it feels like inside.
Other present medical conditions: duodenal ulcer, gastritis and very intolerable acidity and burning if didn't take Omeprazole daily.
Present Sports: Table tennis, regularly going to the GYM.
Previous sports: Football, bodybuilding, bowling, billiards..
Pain worse when: sitting, driving, eating hard meat or hard food or uncooked food, spicy food, milk, sour food, cold temperature, and it gets really painful when with anger or a bad mood.
Pain improve when: lying down, reducing the amount of food, sometimes after eating a large meal before sleeping.
Are you suffering weight loss or increase: No. .
Any medical surgeries: No.
Other info: the pain started as a burning in the right side under the rib, seemed like a stomach or a heart problem before it started spread under the rib....

Please use this template to describe your case, let's find the commonalities which could be the reason behind our condition.

Age:
Gender:
Lifestyle:.
Associated psychological distress before pain started:
Pain started since:
Pain duration:.
Pain description:
Other present medical conditions:
Present Sports:
Previous sports:
Pain worse when:
Are you suffering weight loss or increase:
Any medical surgeries:
Other info:

Age: Male
Gender: 55
Lifestyle:. semi retired
Associated psychological distress before pain started: yes mainly due to job type - v emotional day to day work dealing with death
Pain started since: 2 years
Pain duration:. more dull ache
Pain description: feels like a fullness under ribs, sometimes both sides, sometimes just one.  Also goes right down to lower ribs on both sides (near love handles).  Relief when going to bed at night and through the night.
Other present medical conditions: GERD
Present Sports: Walking
Previous sports: Walking
Pain worse when: sitting up, driving, just after meals
Are you suffering weight loss or increase: No
Any medical surgeries: No
Other info:
Tight Band Feeling is HIATAL HERNIA!

the stomach herniates(pushes through) the hole in the diaphragm(called the hiatus).  You are feeling the diaphragm muscle spasm and/or be inflamed from this "foreign invader" (your stomach) being in your diaphragm.  The vagus nerve, also, runs through the hiatus and it's being compresses, so you can have cardiac symptoms as well(e.g. fast heart rate, anxiety).  All the other symptoms, like nausea, burning in the chest or throat, tasting acid are because the top of the stomach cannot close properly due to the herniation.  A chiropractor or massage therapist can try to manipulate the stomach back down under the diaphragm and give you exercises to help keep it there.  The diaphragm gets weakened over time from not being used to it's full extent.  Shallow breathing is the leading cause of a weakened diaphragm.  You'll need to learn how to breathe deeply using your diaphragm(abdominal breathing/diaphragmatic breathing) instead of taking big breaths just into the top part of your lungs(chest breathing).  This is what will strengthen your diaphragm.  Chiropractic or massage therapy can work in one visit or can take months of visits.
Medical doctors are pretty good at diagnosing problems...
Healing our bodies has to be taken on by ourselves.
My mom was told by a few doctors that she needed three organs
removed when she suffered with a bowel obstruction.  My dad said
she should go to a fasting clinic that was run by a medical doctor.
She opted for the clinic and - long story short - got well and became
an advocate of fasting, juicing, and eating right for the rest of her life.

Dr. Richard Schulze was 16 years old when told by his doctor (actually more than one doctor) that he needed heart surgery or he wouldn't live to see age 21.
His parents died in their 40's or 50's from heart disease and he (Richard)
opted out of the surgery.
He studied nutrition, herbs, herbalists, and natural healing protocols and healed himself.  Later went to school, became a doctor and opened up a clinic where he healed people by the thousands over several decades.
Today, he is alive and well in his 60's - outlived his doctors - and shares information and products and books on the internet...Look him up!

One good book you can download free is: "There Are No Incurable Diseases"

Good luck to all of you...since it's 2014 now (Feb.3) I don't know if any of you will see this...I can only hope.

God bless all of you and may God grant you His grace to get well! :D

opted out of the surgery.

Has anyone with these symptoms ever taken a course of fluoroquinolone antibiotics (ciprofloxacin or levaquin)?  I took them and had an allergic reaction over two years ago and still suffer from these symptoms, and never had them prior.  ever.
I am 33 yrs old and I have been feeling strange symptoms for the past seven years already though I don't experience heartburn or acid reflux.  I often feel something in the area immediately below the junction of my rib cage comparable to the feeling of a clamped nerve, twisted stomach or tensed muscle which is uncomfortable but not painful.  Hence, I don't do situp exercises anymore.  The symptoms becomes more intense when my stomach is empty and I'm taking deep breaths (especially when exhaling) while lying down in bed.  It makes me feel debilitated at times so I would just sleep and the symptoms become milder when I wake up.  My bowel is affected too.  I would feel some discomfort in the area in the morning after waking up but the stool won't come out until I get up from my bed which means that I have lost the normal push to defecate and I am now dependent on gravity for my bowel movement.  In addition, I have lost 10 pounds (I'm 5' 7" and I used to weigh 130 pounds) even if I haven't reduced my food intake and I feel weak even after eating.  Further, I noticed that I easily get tired and feel sleepy even after sleeping for 8 hours.  There are times that I pass thin stools but most of the time my stools are shapeless.  I had already underwent lower GI xray, transrectal ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, stool examination, lipase test, liver function tests but the tests did not reveal anything.  

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with similar symptoms regarding diagnosis and possible remedy. Thanks
Hi, I am a 43 yo female (fit, active and not overweight)  and I have had a similar pain/tightening that many of you have mentioned for the past 4 years. A feeling like a very tight band squeezing around my diaphragm where my bra strap sits.  The moment a get home I have to loosen/ remove my bra but it does not help at all.  I have had many tests for gall bladder, endoscopes, colonoscopy etc and nothing was found. Seven months ago my naturopath advised I give up gluten due to a thyroid related autoimmune disease. I did this the following day and have been very strict about it.  I have not had the pain around my upper ribs one day since...so seven months without pain, until today!! I ate out at a restaurant last night (which I don't do anymore to be cautious) and even though I ordered GF I am sure there was gluten in something I ate as the tightness returned today.  I am assuming it was caused all along due to inflammation due to the gluten. A few other minor niggles here and there have also disappeared. Not saying this will be the case for everyone but certainly it helped me (and saved me heaps in medical checks!) In the past I had googled "rib pain or tightness of diaphragm" so many times and never once read about gluten so hoping this post may help at least one person! It is an amazing feeling to be able to breathe (and wear a bra) again. The pain today reminds me how bad it used to be, I had almost forgotten!!

Did you ever get any help? I have had the same symptom of tightness under my rib cage for several months. I have seen multiple specialists (gastroenterologist, neurologist, spinal, pain). All of whom took me seriously and did multiple tests, but nothing showed up. I have tried all sorts of medications without relief. Also had steroid injections in my back which had no effect. The tightness is worse when I sit. It's driving me crazy. Any suggestions?
.
(I do have Celiac and have been gluten free for almost 50 years. I have the pain all the time even though I carefully avoid gluten.)
Hey ive had that tight feeling ever since my first panic attack as well!! have you found a cure for it?? ive lived with that feeling for 8 years
I've had similar, like someone pulling a tight belt under my boobs, also bloating, breathlessness and fatigue. Hopefully others will recognise these. I was diagnosed with IBS which I thought was rubbish so started experimenting. Fasted for a day and then began testing foods. So far can eat chicken, vegetables, lamb so probably all meats and mushroom soup. Bread in small quantities but cut out all obvious sugar, Fibre is a no no. Tried bran and reacted immediately. Dairy seems ok. Tried Andrews Liver Salts, reacted immediately. Now drink two cups of detox tea per day. No reaction. Began to feel much better so deliberately bought and ate a very sugary doughnut. Wow! Came back with the vengeance. So sugar is definitely one of the main culprits. Still testing all foods. Hope this helps. I know how awful the damn thing is.
It could be IBS. I've suffered this all my life, more especially in the last 3 years. Nausea, distention a tight feeling pushing up under the ribcage, intermittent severe bowel motions. After many investigations the consultant offered me a choice of anti spasmodically plus anti depressants to calm the bowels passing excess gas up the system to the stomach & other organs. He suggested a low fodmap diet instead as on the NICE website. After about 4 weeks I could move more comfortably, sleep without waking but it is quite restrictive. Essentially, it removes the ferment able foods from your diet, causing less pressure, nausea & gas.  However, stress still upsets the bowel but the diet definitely makes abig difference to my life, although inconvenient! Good luck.