Gastroenterology Community
tightness in throat, nausea, chronic feeling as though i need to gag, m...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

tightness in throat, nausea, chronic feeling as though i need to gag, miserable, please help

Hi, my name is will. i am eighteen years old and in very good physical shape an otherwise very healthy, but for a long time or at least its seems like an eternity, i have had this recurrent feeling of tightness in my throat just below my jaw bones on either side of my face. It is like i have this constant need to gag, and eventually i finally do but afterwards the feeling just comes right back with no relief.

Some times if i take a sip of a drink of some sort the feeling will go away for a second, but then comes right back and i have to sip on it continuously until it eventually goes away, sometimes not for hours. Another thing that helps a little is chewing peppermint gum. But neither of these completely relieve the feeling.

I have been to many doctors. Until just recently i have referred to this feeling as nausea because it always makes me feel like i need to gag an sometimes almost vomit. Due to this i have had many GI tests done with all clean negative results. I also seemed to notice that this feeling gets worse if i lay in an inclined position such as a dentists chair. This feeling seems to be completely unrelated to anything i do. i am unsure but sometimes it seems to come a little while after i eat, and many times after i eat i will burp for hours, long deep burps.
I have seen a neurologist who diagnosed me with abdominal migraines, and i have since tried several medicines to treat this, all with no results. I have recently several days ago been diagnosed by a different doctor with gastroesophagal reflux disease.
This seemed very strange to me as the main symptom is heartburn and i very rarely get heartburn.  the day before yesterday i was prescribed prevacid solutabs that dissolve in my mouth and gas x for the burping. so far i can tell no difference whatsoever, but it has only been two days and i am going to see if they work after a couple weeks.

I have always referred to this as nausea because it makes me feel like i need to gag and vomit, so i always believed it was some sort of digestive problem as did the doctors. and recently the idea hit me that this could possibly be something wrong with my throat?

This is so miserable, it is practically ruining my life. If anyone has any suggestions as  to what is causing this, or anyone out there with the same symptoms, please comment i would greatly greatly appreciate it and thank you for taking the time to read this
This sounds kindof-ish similar to what I have, but I only have it for a few seconds. I am 21 yrs so not much older than you, and had problems since 19 after a stomcah virus.  Mine feels more like a spasm in my throat that eventually goes up through my ears. I have a feeling mine is more indigestion related somehow. I definitely have had the feeling of gagging for no good reason, but not too often. I too have been diagnosed with "GERD" which to me is more of a symptom than a condition. I do actually have heartburn though. The truth is, almost every Digestive disease has symptoms of "GERD".
Anyway from my research in trying to figure out my own problems I've ran up on things like hiatal hernia which sounds similar to what you describe. Have you been checked for this hernia? Also, have you have your Gallbladder checked?
GERD is the most likely thing to consider for your symptoms.  When the contents of your stomach reflux up your esophogus, it can hit the area at the back of your throat that prompts the gag reflex.  Hence, that gagging feeling you experience.  Reflux is worsened and becomes more noticeable when you recline - just like you mention with the dentist's chair.  Many people do experience chest pain (heartburn) with reflux, but not all.  My husband's reflux was probably present since birth, and by the time he was in high-school the nerves were so damaged he couldn't feel it any longer.  Some people just have a very weak esophogeal sphincter and it allows the stomach contents to come right back up.  If the problem is severe enough, it can be helped surgically with a procedure called a Nissen's fundoplication.  The first line of defense against reflux is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) medication like nexium, prevacid or aciphex.  If one doesn't work, try the others until you are certain they won't help.

If a gastroenterologist hasn't performed an endoscopy yet, that would be a good next step to evaluate if the reflux has in any way damaged your esophogus.  You may also have an h. pylori infection that causes reflux symptoms and ulcers.  
I had a virus about 6 months ago and was throwing up something awful... after that i felt the same way you are. my doctor prescribed me ranitadine 300mg (zantac) and within a few days i felt better... i never had heartburn, and she said that i might not have it, but because when i threw up, it irritated my esophagus and made it swell causing the tight feeling in my upper chest and throat. it always got worse when i layed down and in the morning it seemed like i would have a mild sore throat.  i took the ranitadine 2 hrs before i went to bed and within 3-4 days i felt so much better...
thank you all very much for your comments

yes i have had an endoscopy, barium swallow, ultrasound, and gallbladder function test thing which all had negative results. no ulcers, but i havent had a test for the h. pylori infection so i may look into that.

jaybay: when i was just a baby my parents told me that i had very bad reflux and many times had to sit up all night with me in a chair holding me straight up to keep my food from coming back up...so i do have a history of reflux and now that you mention it i guess its possible that there could be damage to my esophagus..Now though i dont ever have food actually come up, just the weird tightness and gagging feeling..

that does make sense how you said the contents of my stomach being refluxed could trigger the gag reflex though..I just cant seem to point out what is causing the tightness feeling below my jaw bones. any ideas? thank yall a lot any information really helps
try the Scenar device.
You sound a lot like my husband.  After years of reflux, the tissues and nerves in the esophogus basically get burned up, so you don't feel the intense pain of heartburn.  People who only get reflux once in a while notice it in a large way because all the tissues and nerves are undamaged.

If the prevacid doesn't help, make sure you tell your doctor because there are a few other drugs of the same type (PPI) that might work better for you.  The only one that helps my husband is Aciphex.  Also, you might ask your doctor if reglan might help.  Reglan is a nausea medication that works by increasing peristalsis and hurrying whatever is in your stomach along its way.  If stuff isn't in your stomach, it can't very well come back up, right?
will. i have the very similar symptoms. im 22 yrs old. & i have the worst problem with..just not gagging. i gag anywhere from 10 to 100 times a day. & when ever i tell doctors this..they kind of shrug it off & start asking me about stress & stomach acid & all that stuff. i do have bad heartburn but im not sure if theyre related..from my research i either have a hernia or an ulcer...but nothing really emphasizes on the gagging as much as i feel...its terreible...i constantly have to have a drink & usually still gag. its worse in the morning. or when i havent eaten...also sometimes if ive eaten a lot....dairy & sweet foods cause it too...docors seem to be stumped...one thing thats helped me...is sit ups trying to raise my endorphins...its kind of a wierd treatment...but ill seriously do anytihng to stop my gagging. & doctors are basically stumped when i tell them..that gagging is the main problem ..its embarassing & i also feel like im losing brain cells everytime i do it...the gags are so violent. anyway...good luck & if anything works for you pleeaaasse let me know...thank you

david
Do any of you have nausea and coughing fits with the gagging?  
I often have many of the same symptoms described here...My gagging issue happens most frequently in the morning and usually gets better as the day progresses...however sometimes it is constant all day.   For many years I was able to limit it to just gagging, but lately it has turned to actual "dry heaving" and vomiting which is very strainful on the body.  I have also had all of the tests and have been diagnosed with GERD and IBS...Also, when I gag, I often have a lot of mucus that literally just "flies" out of my throat.  This is a very bothersome condition because it makes you feel like you can't have a "normal life".

Lately I've been focused on trying to control my diet, I'm now thinking maybe it's related to the overall health of the colon...Maybe its all the toxins in my gut that are causing this (???)  I'm also considering doing a colon cleanse to see if it makes any difference...In addition, I often wonder if this is all just related to excessive gas buildup...sometimes the gagging sensation in my throat is helped somewhat by anti-gas drugs....

Anyway…I definitely don’t have any answers and I’m suffering every day just like you folks…
My nephew has had a terrible time with  gagging.  He has to constantly suck on cough drops to control it.  The Doctors currently have him on meds but they aren't helping.  He was diagnosed with Crohns Disease 2 yrs ago and has been on Asical since then.  Could a side-effect of it be gagging?  Any suggestions
My son has the same problem as you do.  It's tough for all of us because we can't go and eat anywhere, we have to stay close to home all of the time because of his gagging/vomitting problems.  It's the worst in the morning, but it happens all day.  We used to go out to restaurants to eat, but can not do that anymore because he usually vomits everywhere.  Sometimes making it to the bathroom, sometimes not.  I've been researching this for a number of years, and we've seen may specialists.  I'm wondering if you've heard of over sized turbinates? (nasal concha)  It is when they hang back into your throat farther tahn normal, pressing down into the nasopharynx and soft palate, restricting airflow and triggering the gag reflex.  Let me know...
T
I have the same conditions as will3447 to the same degree.  I feel ill today.  I'm in Vegas, and its unusually humid, and I didn't sleep well. Its not one thing causing my conditions.  I was treated for rephlux brought on by stress, but the gagging first started when I moved to a house with large oak trees.  I later found out I was allergic to oak, but the symptoms persisted as I continued to be exposed to the allergens.

This was in Florida.  I found myself allergic to more things in Vegas (mulberry and olive trees are the worst offenders here), and now get anti-allergen injection therapy and use anti-histamines (NOT decongestants. They should only be used when you need to get clear.  Anti-histamines should be taken throughout allergy season even when sinuses are blocked.  Decongestants usually have a "D" in the brand name, and make you speedy, while AHs will not.). I'd be willing to bet that Will has allergies that stress out his system and bring on acid rephlux.  Big advice - DO NOT DRINK, especially to the point of intoxication. Severely aggravates the symptoms.

If you live in a part of the country that has major allergy conditions, changes are that's what it is. Living near the ocean is best, as it acts like a giant filter for pollen, et al.  But it definitely erodes quality of life. I used to be 100 percent healthy and in top shape, but half the time I have to cut my workouts short. Exertions like weight lifting can be hard. There are a lot more people worse off than you, but since this isn't something people can notice like a cold or a handicap you don't get cut much slack. Acidic foods like hot coffee and onions should be avoided. I sure do miss hot peppers, but I hate gagging more.

BTW - I have trouble at dental appts.  My dentist insisted it was all in my mind at first but I couldn't get through a checkup.  INSIST that they give you novocain for even minor procedures. Its the only way I got my last two fillings.  The dentist even missed a cavity at first because I couldn't make it through all of my x-rays.

Good luck. Its not in your mind whatsoever, and there's no one cause. Marijuana cures the gagging within seconds, but the danger of dependency is amplified due to the psychological association with relief. Still, it beats being sick all the time.
After another morning of "I've got my gagging thing again' I told my son we would get up and look this thing up together on the internet.  I am already feeling much better just knowing he isn't alone, as I hadn't heard of anyone else with his problems.

My son is 9 and he has seemingly endured this condition his whole life.  I used to think it was due to difficulties during birth (he had oxygen deprevation resulting in a hearing loss, eye squint and general muscle laxness).  But as his health is generally good (apart from being a little overweight) this seems to be the only continuing problem.

He wakes up with a strong gag reflux, but he can also get this during the day.  It can be triggered by a strong or bad smell ('morning breath', country/farm smells, airplane toilet, even bad school lunches!) but he can even wake up with this even without a trigger.  He has mucous and sometimes needs to just spit it out but it often results in him gagging/vomiting.  

In fact, I just took 10 minutes away from typing this because he had a small drink and it just came back up so I had some mopping to do...

Have you had this since you were little?  He's had no major sickness that I can attribute this to, and wonder if it's the same as you?  What do you recommend to my boy?  And is the medicne working yet?

Please help a worried 9 year old and his parents!  Thanks
hey sweetie - have you considered it to be from a nervous ailment?  years ago, during a very emotional time of my life, my throat got tight, i gagged a LOT, and i lost a lot of weight.  the doctor said my throat muscles were all tensed up, etc., because of my emotional state.

i few weeks later, and some anti-anxiety meds, it was gone.  

something to consider.
I think I have what Will3477 describes.  There is a tightness under my jaw - almost like I've been chewing too much or something.  There is also this sensation of something at the back of my throat that makes me want to gag.  I have to swallow hard to make it go away and sometimes I feel like that feeling might be mucus piling up back there.  The other day, however, I realized that it sort of feels like that lump in throat you get when you're about to cry.  That sort of "full throat" feeling.  I started Googling that and I came up with this article.  I think it does the best job yet at describing the symptoms.  I just don't know if there is a chronic version of this or not:

http://www.voicedoctor.net/therapy/cps.html

I'd love to know what the community thinks.
Wow everyone was starting to tell me I was crazy and making it up. Glad to see there is an army of gaggers! :)  I have the tight throat almost 100% of the day. I notice that if i am chewing it does not bug me as much. But I spend so much time awake ready to vomit that it disgusts me. I would like to believe it was something simple but it doesn't seem like there is much luck. I never throw up I just feel the tightness like I might gag. I am not much of a vomiter but for the past year I have slept either in the shower or with a bucket next to my bed. There is no exaggeration.

I have been told it is all in my head by my grumpy hubby but I know better. I also have been to the doctor (military doctor that is) and I was told it was acid reflux. I was prescibed medicine and tried to take it but it only gave me symptoms of acid reflux which I was not having. I don't have an acidic flavor and I have zero heartburn. Shoot my throat feels so tight I fear burping because I assume that I will vomit next.

So... tonight is one of those nights where the rest of the world sleeps and I stay up pacing questioning if this is forever.
It feels so good knowing I am one of many with these ridiculous stomach issues and whatever comes along with it. My story is kind of funny..in a bad way. I never used to have any sort of stomach problem until last year when I was having these weird head aches for a good month. After a week of them I went to a neurologist and he told me I had something called brisilar migraines. He perscribed me prednisone which is a steroid and told me to take three pills of motrin to take the pain away. Yeah well...you arent really supposed to mix the two and I did because this awesome doctor told me I could before even knowing my background or really anything about me.
Felt like my stomach was tearing into pieces for days. Finally got it checked and what do you know?! I have gastrits.
I was on prevacid. It didn't work.
I was on nexium. It costs 300. So that ended real quick.
Months and months later with little relief, I was nauseous everyday. Especially in my throat. That was the WORST.
Got that checked and I developed inflammation in my stomach. Took protonix. That took away the inflammation and made my nausea somewhat better but when I was finished taking it, it came back.
Now I am told to go to a psychiatrist, so I am going to go to one and see what she/he says.
The moral of this story is, doctors and medicine are ******** :)

I have had the same kinds of problems for years now; i am 20.  Since i was a junior in high school (16) it started.  I never used to have them before, and i used to eat everything al the time then i got some sort of infection but didn't go to the doctor.  The infection made my lymph nodes in my neck swell up and the spit gland thing under my tongue very sore.  After about a week or two these symptoms went away but then i had this almost uncontrollable gag refelx.  It used to happen whenever i tried to eat something, for some reason putting anything in my mouth triggered it.  I lost a lot of weight and still now i consider myself to be under weight at 5'9 and like 135 pounds.  I do look very skinny still just not crazy skinny as i over the years i have learned to control it enough to eat enough to keep me going, just not enough to ever gain more weight.  I feel anxiety about eating all the time and even after cause i don't know if i will have a hard gag and semi vomit if i can't control it.  I have been to a few doctors who just say its reflux but prilosec doesn't help much.  It pretty much keeps my life at a standstill cause im afraid to go far from my comfort zone if i can't eat some food cause itll make me gag or what.  It does help to know there are other people with some weird gagging issue, as it reassures me im not crazy, but i just wish it would go away.  Being calm seems to help a lot but it doesn't fix the problem.  I really have wondered if its an anxiety disorder but am afraid to ask anyone cause its so embarassing.
Does anyone know of any new meds to fix this problem?  It is so frustrating.  I can understand the person that wrote about sleeping with a bucket next to the bed.  I keep one on the passenger seat of my car too.
Im 18, and I woke up this morning round my boyfriends and my throat felt so weird as if something was stuck in there. I then went home and had a little sleep and thought it would be gone by the time i woke up. So i started walking to work and it was exactly the same... it's not that bad when i eat but i feel like i have got to drink every 2 seconds or i will gag. It is so annoying, i just want it to go away!

i didnt know it could last forever, seeing all you's saying your had it for years. looks like i will be sleeping with a bucket tonight! i am supposed to be going out tomorrow night for Nandos with my best mate!

someone help, i dont know what to do!

I havent been to the doctors yet BTW.

Thanks,
Zoe    x

I am 19 years old male, and got recurrent gag reflux lasting for more than 5 hours, I am constantly trying to sustain calm and suppress it somehow but its awful anyway. I had very bad stomach condition 5 months ago. It was CMV and it destroyed me totally. It destroyed my stomach and also my mental state. I was nauseous then 24/7. It was horrible. Now I have this gag reflux for no reason (I am not feeling nauseous though), and also when I am trying to work or do something its getting worse.

I do not feel heartburn when I have this feeling, (when I have acids in my throat I feel them) in this case I do not feel them, drinking Reglan doesn't make it better though.

CMV anti-bodes are just present in my body (which means my organism killed it).

Please help.
Something for you to research.  There is a condition called Vocal Cord Dysfunction.  This condition can be triggered by many things, one of which is acid reflux.  As many posters have said, you don't have to have heart burn to have acid reflux.  there is a type of acid reflux called laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux (LPR) in which the acid shoots through the esophagus quickly and settles in the back of the throat and or sinuses.  It can then cause irritation of the vocal cords, be aspirated and cause other respiratory issues.

VCD is a condition in which the vocal cords spasm and can feel like tightness in your throat like described by many of you.  I just wanted to suggest that as a possibility.  This is best diagnosed by an ENT with a scope, but a negative scope is meaningless becasue the vocal cords would have to be in spasm during the test to be positive.  This condition is treated by controlling the trigger and speech therapy.  There are breathing techniques to help control the spasms that you might be able to find on line.

I hope you all get some answers.  You sound miserable.
Thanks for the post. I got myself on endoscope but the doctor can't see my vocal cords because of the damn gag reflex, I gagged ten times, still he can't see good my vocal cords. He believes that its acid reflux, cause there was nothing in my throat which could cause swollen feeling in my throat.

Actually I am suppressing the feeling that I need to gag, but sometimes it becomes miserable and I gag and then no relieve, it seems like I need to gag again. This feeling that I need to gag all the time is so bad that I didn't go on my exams and take some time to rest. Seems like for 1 week I didn't have the gag reflex, not for this week it is again present, constant feeling that I need to gag, but it is possible that I would not gag even once in the day (because I am controlling it with my tongue).
I have been having dry heaves and gagging for 10 years now, it is miserable.   I tried Lunesta for sleeping and It really helped with the gagging.  I researched the side effects and hiccups is one of them so I think there might be some connection there with the gagging.  Now I'm taking lunesta for its side effects.  The down side is, this drug is expensive.  My experience with doctors was a blank stare.  I think med school should be a lot longer than 4 years.  I haven't gotten any answers from any of the 10 doctors I saw, but I got a bill from every one of them.
I have pretty much the same symptoms as Will. I am 15 years old and I am healthy. I am physically active also. Usually a half an hour to an hour after I eat I have an urge to gag and throw up. It feels this for the rest of the day/night. If I try to go to sleep it keeps me up. I am hungry and my stomach feels fine but my lower throat has a feeling of nauseousnes. I never got to the point of gagging or vomiting or even going to the doctor because I haven't had this for long (like 3 weeks). If I have the feeling that I might gag or vomit I start to sweat and my heart starts to race as if I am going to vomit. This really *****! I'll comment back if I get a cure, treatment, or diagnoses for this.  
I am 30 years old and I too have suffered on and off with this gagging thing.  Mine is usually worse in the morning after I wake up.  At one point I was waking up with stomach issues and then feeling gaggy for about 30 mins to an hour, go back to sleep, and wake up again in the morning gaggy.  I also felt like I was going crazy....felt awful.  I missed three days of work and I have not missed that many days in the last ten years of working.  It was the worst feeling in the world.  I have gotten better...I started generic paxil and omeprazole and also had some oral zofran and a half of a xanax to get me through it.  I don't know what sparked it or anything...it just came on and comes and goes.  I pray that someone will find a reason for these episodes in all of us!
I was ill, violently vomiting, about 3 months ago, and recently this feeling of gagging and nausea has occured. I am 14, healthy etc and have been to the doctor who prescribed ranitidine as he thought it was stomach acid, which has stopped the nausea but the feeling in my throat is still carrying on. He sent me for an ultrasound to check there is nothing in my stomach, but it came back clear, as did blood tests. I am to finish the course of ranitidine but I don't think anyone is bothered as nothing showed up on any of my tests. Mine is very bad in the morning, about 1-2 hours after I get up, and then generally subsides to a steady feeling for the rest of the day. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me, kind of scared :/
labgerms and g07hg1, please post your questions as a separate post so we can answer your questions.  Thanks.
Hey will3477, I just looked up "nausea in the throat" on google, and your post immediately popped up as the first link! Amazing that I just joined this site a few days ago asking a question on my own page about nausea...

My symptoms are a lot like yours, I was surprised how close it was! I'm 18 years old, and I've had nausea for 5 years now, after getting a small stomach flu 5 years ago and the nausea never left. It's harsh, because I've had to turn down hanging out with friends, social things, etc, because I was afraid I was going to barf, but  Yeah, I've had an endoscopy, barium swallow, ultrasound, ear nose and throat test, allergy test (man, THAT one hurt!), eye test, psychiatrists, psychologists, you name it to try and understand why I was feeling nauseous all the time, but then I realized that it wasn't my stomach that was feeling nauseous, it was my throat, like yours. I don't feel like gagging, but I have tried heartburn meds and others, and nothing seems to have worked... but finding out from a psychologist, I have anxiety, and I already knew I have a SEVERE fear of throwing up...

But then, after initially going back to my pediatrician a few months ago, I had seen him the first time my nausea happened (the 5 years ago), and he didn't diagnose me as anything, but then I said I kept having it, and he IMMEDIATELY diagnosed it as "esophogeal spasms" which I had no clue what they were, and the symptoms I looked up didn't exactly match his, but they might match yours....

So maybe you could ask a psychiatrist if it has something to do with your mentality, as I get nauseous for no reason, then I freak out and get nervous because I'm deathly afraid of throwing up, which makes the "nausea" worse, which makes me freak out more, which makes it worse... you get the cycle. Maybe ask if you have a small bit of anxiety.
Also, ask your doctor about esophogeal spasms...maybe that could be it!

Hope this helps!

Lauren
the only thing that helped me was primatine pills, but they will keep u awake.
I think mine is food allergies
I know exactly what's wrong with you. I had the exact same thing, and I went to the doctor, who told me I had postnasal drip. Taking Zrytec daily solved my problem 100%
sooo greatful to have come across this! I know I have anxiety and acid reflux and that stress makes those things worse, but the gagging/burping up foam etc was so strange to me. But I havent really had it since I was a teenager, and life was very stressful for me as a teenager. And recently its come back since a string of very stressful incidents, including my fiance's frustration due to my use of pot for my condition(s)/illness(es), but Ive never had a Dr. show any true concern or care let alone come up with a treatment...Im still trying to find answers and solutions though, but it helps to see Im not alone or abnormal.
I'm Samanda and I am 18. I also have very similar problems to what everyone has been posting. I've been having this problem for awhile now and still have no idea as to what it could be. The doctor gave me Nexium and that did not help at all. Lately I have been gagging alot more. Before it would just happen after I eat no matter what kind of food I ate. Now it happens as soon as I wake up and goes on for a while. I started researching and GERD is the main thing that pops up. It does say that the most common symptom is heartburn, I have never had heartburn before and some other symptoms that show I also have never had them. Personally I dont feel that I have GERD but then again there could be different symptoms for everyone. When I went to the doctor about this he said my esophagus could be narrowing, I never got the test done to see exactly what is wrong and the doctor didn't do anything or tell me of anything else that could be wrong. Another thing I saw some people saying in their post is that that have to constantly have cough drops or gum. I do have to have either of these things constanly and it does help somewhat. I'm very tired of this and it is embarrassing having to act like nothing is wrong or putting my head down every time after I eat. Thanks, and if you have any responses or would just like to comment back I would greatly appreciate it.
Me too. Im deathly afraid of throwing up.. I went through the same round of tests with no answers.. It started when i was 18 and now im 34 and it has not happened since i was maybe 20.. I offen wonder if that is somthing that happens to people at that age and go away.. Mine felt like a shooting feeling that would go up.. but not my stomach..  Because of it i now have a fear of vomiting! Big time! My heart races and i freak if i think im going to puke.. I just thought i would let ya know this..
Hi Everyone, My name is Gaby and I am 22 yrs. old All my life I have battled anxiety for periods of time, it's all connected with the nervous system and due to my body being under much stress most of my life it caused other health problems so when I was 15 I was diagnosed with acid re-flux. Believe it or not anxiety or if its not necessary that any other kind of nervous system problems and stomach problems go hand in hand, a few years later when i was 19 I was diagnosed with GERD and this year (2011) I went through a high period of stress and my body started reacting funny. One day I gagged and to my misery I have been gagging since May of this year. It gets worse when I get anxious like if I'm having a meeting or going out to dinner with my co-workers, I start gagging out of fear of gagging. So I embarked on a journey to heal and free myself of this misery. Since the reflex(gag) has since been embedded deep in my subconscious is obviously hard to control so I have begun a series of sessions with 3 different techniques I will update everyone on this if it can free me it can free everyone else I know it. This just started recently and I think of it like this, I wasn't born with it. It did not exist before in me it developed due to a trauma, and I can surely make it go away.
This happens to me all the time and I feel like my life is totally subject to this awful feeling i cannot predict or control. for me my throat just gets very tight, my mouth waters, my face gets flush and i become convinced i will throw up. i never do, but even as i tell myself "this is in your head, you wont be sick", my body is so so convinced that im about to be ill, i have to run to the bathroom.  i spend evenings eyeing the closest exit, making sure i can get to the bathroom easily, running outside to get some air, and all for somehting that might just be in my head.  i dont know what causes it, and i dont know what to do to prevent it, but it always manages to ruin my plans.  its been years now i feel so frustrated it makes me want to cry,  i have had panic issue sint he past, and i recently weaned off of my panic meds and my syptoms (symptoms) havent become any more prevalent, so i wont if its even anxiety-related. i cant follow any specific food that causes it.  ugh, im just exhausted by this problem
I know exactly how you feel. I am 24 years old and have been dealing with stomach issues since my daughter was born in 2006. I had a wonderful pregnancy, no nausea no vomiting, nothing and had a beautiful healthy daughter. Before i was pregnant i was healthy and very rarely ever sick.  In 2007, after being undiagnosed for 6-8 months, they found gallstones and my gallbladder was removed, but even now 4 years later, i'im still sick and suffering.  I was also diagnosed with hiatal hernia, acid reflux, GERD. I'm now on nexium 40mg 2x a day, as my symptoms tend to get wrose at night but now happen at all times of the day, and usually right after i eat. my symptoms include; out of no where feeling nausea, constant belching, feeling tightness in my throat, feels like someone is standing on my stomach right in the center of my ribs. I have this constant feeling, and sometimes do, to gag. I too seem to think it helps to keep sippin small sips of water or gingerale. When i burp i get a little feel or relief but only for a brief second and then it just comes back. The burping is just horrible and its not like a normal burp either. and it just  happens over n over again but yet sometimes feels like I need to burp but can't, like its stuck. I just recently was seen by my new GI specialist and had an ultrasound. So far no answers. im scheduled to have upper gi series 2nd week of december and then a colonoscopy the week after. 2 years ago i was sapost to have a colonoscopy done because i had blood tests done that showed that my blood work came out positive for crohns but i chickened out on the colonoscopy, but now im DESPERATE. I can't take it anymore. I'm also exteremely afraid to vomit so i take phenergan to help w.the nausea. I just don't want to go through this anymore. I have a beautiful 5 year old girl and i want to be healthy for her, i'm tired of her seeing me sick. I'm also afraid to work a lot of times bc i'm always afraid i'll feel sick in the middle of work and end up vomiting. My fingers are crossed for these tests to show SOMETHING!...

anyone else going through this?
HI ALL. . . I AM A MALE 66  YEARS  OLD . . . I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING THE WEB FOR A RECENT PROBLEM
OF HAVING A FEELING OF GAS AFTER EATING ANYTHING.. .  OF ANY AMOUNT AND IT MAKES ME
   FEEL LIKE I NEED TO BURB BUT I CAN'T EVENTUALLY I WILL GET SOME FOOD TO COME UP BUT NO
BURP. . .THERE IS NO HEARTBURN OR PAIN BUT I FEEL KINDA SICK AND MY THROAT FEELS TIGHT LIKE MY FOOD HAS NOT WENT DOWN . . . IT'S ONLY BEEN A FEW DAYS BUT IT IT SURE DON'T MAKE YOU FEEL MUCH LIKE EATING IF YOU KNOW THAT GAS FEELING WILL COME BACK. . . . ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THESE EXACT SYPTOMS (symptoms) . . . WHAT REALLY BOTHERS ME IS IT HAPPENS WITH ONE POTATO CHIP
OR A FULL MEAL ????? I AM QUITE HEALTHY OTHERWISE EAT RIGHT AND GET EXERCISE
I AM NOT HEAVY BY ANY MEANS . . 6'1' 150 LBS. . .  I GO TO MY DOC FOR MY YEARLY CHECKUP . ..
   BUT IS IT TIME TO GO SEE HIM ABOUT THIS?
Hi,with deep sympathy for all suffering. From age 6 the constant nausea and severe fear of vomitting ruled my life.the fear so bad at times I would paralise my body.I am 58 and free of all that hell. the answer (some of It instant and some in stages because I had multiple problems) was Jesus.His presence and peace which passes all understanding was the answer and I found Him at 18yrs.Life has been AMAZING because He is amazing.
I'm 16 and I've had this for over 9 months, its been taking control of my life and I am sick of It. However, I discovered I was intolerant to gluten and casein, I stopped eating those, and I already feel so much better. This was dragging me to despression. Anyways goodluck.
How did you discover you were intolerant to gluten and casein--Did you have tests done? Have your symptoms stopped? I too am currently suffering with this problem
Have just made an emergency trip to doctors. Finally a doctor who suffers the same thing!!!!!! Is anxiety, which we knew, has a name 'hyperventilation syndrome'. Told us about a website Breathing Works.co.nz Recommend buying the book by Dinah Bradley/Morrison. Its all about breathing properly and it worked!!!!!! Daughter was with him for 5 mins and completely different kid. Like everyone else been to all these so called experts and have had every test imaginable done. He said 20% of population get it, meds last resort, but the deep breathing he got her to do WORKED!!!! Good luck.
Hi, My 11 yr old daughter has been gagging since last March. After she was diagnosed with reflux/esophagitis we tried a Lactose free diet and Zantac. It has gotten a bit better but still keeping us home most of the time. We just started a gleten free diet, which is tuff but hopeful she'll get back to normal soon. Let me know how you do with this.
severe pain in the ribs forever nausea acidity and burping for more than a month.
achoo
is the pain on the right just under the ribs and radiates to the back ..if so Gall bladder issues ask for a Hida scan ....good luck
I know exactly what you mean!!!  I get all those symptoms all the time.  Mine comes on like a singular hiccup, then I gag, or even throw up.  I'm 21 now and have had these uncontrollable hiccup throat spasms for almost 4 years now.  I've had a gastro specialist look at it, they pumped for 2 hours with what looked like 8 oz of mystery radiation fluid to make my insides glow (don't ask me how that's good for you) and trigger my gallbladder.  Of course nothing was solved And I was sick from whatever was in that giant horse trank.
Recently I have just given up my quest because I can't keep missing school (I already spent a month on a leave of absence in and out of the hospital to get this solved) and its way too expensive.  I'm tired of giving money to Dr.s and pharmaceutical companies that don't help their patience, only prescribe mystery medicine that never works and costs too much.
That's what it was called, a hida scan. I did the research myself and presented it to my dr to get one because she didn't put two and two together. (yea my drs kind of suck)
It might work for you, it definitely didn't for me though.  good luck
My six yr old son has had reflux since birth, always spitting up and fussy. Last February he had what appeared to be an asthma attack. Dr put him on albuterol nebulizer 3-4 times a day. Many trips to his Dr, steroids and antibiotics and antihistamines later we changed drs. Had him tested for allergies and asthma and was negative. He was however diagnosed with LPR and vocal cord dysfunction and had been sporting. He was placed on 40 mg nexium at night and had stopped puking every day. Three weeks ago he woke up two mornings in a row saying he couldn't breath, in his throat. Urgent care Dr said bronchitis and sinuitis, er Dr said asthma and stridor, pedi Dr said croup and stridor. Allergist said he was aspirating again and the reflux irritated the vocal cords and throat causing it to close. Will be taking him to an ent and gastro dr for more testing soon. Maybe some of this will help you.
When I found this forum I was so relieved to know that I am not the only one who has this. My symptoms are incredibly close to what you have. I am a sophomore in high school and this "feeling" of sorts is like yours; it seems to control my life. But if there has been one thing that I have "learned" from this ongoing and continuous situation is that you just need to keep pushing through. You cannot let this control you. There are some bad days, but there will be good days too. You cannot let this come to define who you are. I know this sounds cliché, I really do, but you cannot stand by. It will be hard, and it might not go away, but you need to push through. There will be a time when liberation is possible, if only for a moment.
I've been experiencing the exact same symptoms for 7 years.  I used to be able to eat full meals, exercise, or do some sort of physical activity without any problems.  Now, every day is like a war to me.  I battle through the day with the feeling of globus, dysphagia, random and sometimes constant gag reflexes, trapped gas (inability to burp), nausea, and constant stomach discomfort.  I've had medical examinations done and everything turned out normal.  Physicians all say it's "stress/anxiety" or "GERD".  I take medications for it but they don't always work.  I still get dark, gloomy days.  And when I get them, I tend to harp over it which makes the situation worse.  For those of you out there who experience the above symptoms, always remember to stay positive no matter what.
Hi, My name is Amanda Lynn!
I too have the same problem, some things different tho, like cold air can't be inhaled through my mouth, automatic gag to the near point of throwing up. Which is weird because the one and only thing that helps sooth it or make it go away for a min or so is ice cold water, weird I know..also, and this will be even weirder, but burping relieves it too. I have to be careful after eating too because if that gag kicks in there goes the food, there is no stopping it from happening. I am sure it is not acid reflux, because when i get acid reflux i know that fizzy feeling in my throat/chest and i can feel the splash of the acid moving around, and this gag thing comes with no symptoms other then the gagging and sometimes throwing up. I am a 27 year old woman, i'm a am bigger in size and have no other health complications that would lead to the gagging problem. I have not seen a doctor yet because I am very worried it's something wrong with my throat, or something growing in my throat the might need surgery. I have had these symptoms for the past 3 years. I read on one of these sites from someone answering that it could be Diabetes as well, but it said u typically throw up your first meal of the day only, when the gag hits me sometime it will be with me for hours (like today from 7:30am till 2:00 PM) Although Diabetes does run in my family and wither or not i test positive for diabetes and i have a strong feeling that is not what it is.. I will post back after I see a doctor (who will most likely say it's GERD or acid reflux) and get test done i will update you on what my "Diagnoses" is. Take care Will and everyone else living this gagging hell.  
Same here. I know this is an old thread but it's been killing me for the past few days. It's almost like a little object or pill is stuck in my throat or esophagus. Very terrible. Oddly enough it all started after I took some aspirin. I'm not nauseous or anything but it's a constant gag feeling. Does seem to get worse as I decline or lay down. Things I find odd about this are I've never had vid reflex problems and heart burn all my life has been very rare . Drinking water is the only temp fix on this.
My Daughter is 12 years old! The past few weeks she has been up most of the night gagging! She describes it as "Soggy Food" stuck in her throat! Which is keeping her awake! This is the only symptom she has! She just says her throat feels really tight! Anyone know what this is please?? Thanks
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my experience, and possibly shed some light on things.
First, I believe that a sudden onset of the hyper gag reflex is a symptom, not a condition. I also believe it is somehow histamine and anxiety related. Although certainly in other cases it is a result of chronic reflux, or GERD, which seems to be a common condition in most of these posts.

I'm experiencing the hyper gag reflex currently, and have had it in the past. It's very difficult to brush my teeth properly, especially if I touch the back of my tongue. There is a constant tight, almost burning feeling from the thyroid area up to the back of the throat, and I as well have had a history of GERD. I've also had my gallbladder removed, about 7 years ago, because of severe gallbladder attacks and the discovery via ultrasound that it was packed with stones. Plus, my appendix was removed almost 20 years ago due to acute appendicitis.
I've always had a major issue with belching, and sometimes when I have a large build up of gas in my stomach, I will feel extremely nauseous, discomfort in the chest (spasms of the esophageal sphincter), heightened anxiety, heart palpitations, difficulty with breathing rhythm, sweating, and overall really crappy. I try to belch, but can't, only to take in more air. When my esophageal sphincter finally relaxes, I will let out a massive belch, and all symptoms disappear instantly. So, like most of you, I've had gastric issues. But, never a gagging feeling associated with it. However...

14 years ago, I dealt with some severe lower back issues, some of which requiring surgery, and now my neck is in the same condition. I'm only 44 now, but have had degenerative disk disease since my 20's, as well as the steady progression of osteoarthritis in my lower back and neck. This points to an autoimmune issue.
Back then, I was on a hefty dose of opiate analgesics for 4 years straight. Recently, I was back on them for a year and a half. I quit 2 weeks ago. Both times, as well as when I would run out of meds too early, an aspect of the withdrawal symptoms was a sudden onset of a severe gag reflex, even just touching my throat makes me gag, but only if I touch the area just below the jaw. I've also at the same time, developed sneezing fits and increased mucous production. This tells me that somehow the opiates altered my histamine levels, and when I stop the meds, I develop allergy symptoms I don't normally have, which may be causing the gagging as well, but somehow I think the gagging is heightened anxiety from the detox, and my nervous system coming back to life.

So, in a lot of cases, the gagging is usually a symptom, not the condition, which makes it so hard to pin down. With some it's hormonal, can be caused by imbalance of the thyroid glands, can be caused by overactivity of the adrenal glands, can be caused by chronic GERD (which eventually burns out the nerves in the lower esophagus and we don't feel the burning acidity anymore), can be caused by chronic anxiety and/or depression, drug side effects or withdrawal, diet, and the list goes on. When it's caused by increased adrenaline and cortisol, the fight or flight hormones, increased physical activity can either help relieve it, or stimulate it more if there are deeper triggers. This is why we can feel sick and sometimes vomit when we are frightened, or suffer from panic/anxiety disorder, and feel the squirt of adrenaline into the gut area, directly affecting the digestive system.

Because the hyper gag reflex is symptomatic, it can be difficult to pin down the cause, especially if it is anxiety related, which in itself is also a symptom, and won't show up in physical examinations.

I'm sorry if my post was long winded, but hopefully it might help individuals try to find the cause of their misery. I'm not a Doctor... but have seen enough of them in my life, and always investigated my health issues independently. If you're going to be a patient, be an informed one.  
Hi will,
I have the same problem, I feel very sick every single day sometimes worse than others. It is a gagging feeling aswell, it makes me want to keep on yawning. It is ruining my life!!