Gastroenterology Community
tortous colon

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

tortous colon

Is pain quite common during a colonoscopy?  Do patients often wake up during the procedure?  And is a tortous colon something I should worry about?  I have not had much constipation but have had some episodes of IBS.  I have not had surgeries on my abs so I'm not sure why mine is such a mess.

This discussion is related to dysplasia and enlarged lymph node.
It is not uncommon for patients to request intravenous anesthesia during a colonoscopy. Some people have no pain and some people have a lot of pain during the procedure. It is unlikely you will "wake up" because the anesthesia is administered drop-by-drop while you are being monitored and when you show signs of awakening they inject a tiny bit more.
I woke up during mine and was in a lot of pain.  My doctor is a very close friend and gave me just half thinking he could monitor me.  He later told me that I was screaming and tried to yank the scope out.  I was completely awake for the upper and remember every detail of that part.  He also told me that in the 18 years he has done these, this hasn't happened.  I'm not sure why it would with me.  I have a very high pain tolerance.  Should I be cautious about using this drug in the future...Versed?  Also, do you happen to know how a patient is repositioned during the procedure.  I'm not super shy but would like to know if I was spread about.
I just had my first colonscopy & requested anesthesia when they asked me if I wanted it.  But I still woke up in the middle of it screaming.  I was too groggy to understand what they wanted but could tell something was wrong before I eventually blacked out again.  After it was all over, I asked what happened, but all they told me was that the doctor couldn't complete.  When I finally talked to the doctor, he said it was because a "twist in colon" and he wants me to go for air-contrast barium enema.   I'm hesitant to do that for 2 reasons: $ (thanks to Obamacare my insurance covers a screening colonscopy, but everything else is subject to a $3500 deductible); 2) if the pain was that bad with anesthesia I hate to think how bad the barium enema will be with no anesthesia.     Other than the colonoscopy I've been fine although I admit back 2 months ago I did have problems with severe pain when having large bowel movements.  Since then I've been fine with stool softener---just that I no longer go as often as I used to (never had previous problems with constipation).
I had a barium enema the same day so that I wouldnt have to prep again.  It is not painful. It just create a discomforting full sensation Like when you have to defecate.  I do wish that there was more acknowledgement of the possibility of pain.  I don't have a problem with pain if I know what to expect.  My parents receive procol ?  There GI clinic states that the verse and fen combo is old school and they dont use that type of sedation today.  They have on staff anesthesiologists.