Gastroenterology Community
twisted esophagus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

twisted esophagus

My 6 year old daughter underwent an endoscopy to determine the cause of her stomach pain. The doctor came out and told us that she had a "twisted esophagus" and he wanted to do an upper GI series to determine if there was something external to her esophagus that was causing the deformation.  The upper GI series showed that she was having reflux up to her mouth but did not show any deformation of her esophagus.  Her doctor, via his nurse, told us that it was probably due to her position during the endoscopy.  We were never able to ask him any direct questions so we don't know if this is reasonable.  My daughter was placed on an increased dose of prevacid (now going on 2 months with no relief) and an antibiotic because the doctor now thinks she has a bacterial overgrowth in her stomach.  Has anyone ever heard of an esophagus appearing twisted during an endoscopy because of a patient's position and then not show any evidence of twisting during an upper GI series? We don't know if we should be concerned or not.  Thanks.
Hi, I would get a second opinion.  It sounds like the doctor is guessing, and you don't want this with your child.  It took 4 GI's before we could get a correct diagnosis with my son.  Because she has GERD and they "think" her esophagus was twisted due to her position during the examine, makes one think that the two are related. I have never heard of this and I worked for 2 GI docs for years.  I would want definite answers, plus he should have spoken personally with both of you.  As parents you have many questions, maybe he avoided this because he knew he couldn't answer your questions.  I've been thru this frustration, you have to keep going until you have answers.  It was too late for our son.  I don't know where you live but Cincinnati Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio is the premiere unit in the country for pediatric gastroenterology.  Parents travel from all over to have their child treated there.  Instead of going from doctor to doctor like we did, I'd go straight to the best.  They are wonderful there and your would have peace of mind in knowing your child is getting the best in the country!  I feel so bad for all of you, and wish you all the best.  Please think about Cincinnati.  Take care....